Freemasons

Further to the excellent answer given by @Jimmy_Green :
Also in my lodge the WM Elect proposes the list of officers that he wants to serve the lodge during his year: all nominees having been previously approached for their agreement. This list is then voted on by the Lodge: two black balls and then we have to vote on each officer individually. I have also seen a JW and SW 'sacked' by the lodge as their attendance and performances simply weren't up to scratch (luckily not in the same year).
Sounds similar to my Lodge; The ME picks his officers for the ensuing year and as it is his train set he can, theoretically put anyone in any office (with the exception of Treasurer, Tyler, elected and IPM by right) having said that it is usual for the progressive offices to do just that and it would be an unwise move for the ME to ignore the advice of the DC, Secretary and Treasurer.

If only because they are usually the longest serving active officers. It seems to work and as Dread says the prospective appointees are warned off beforehand to give them a chance to accept or decline the appointment.

This can save much embarrassment.

Interesting at 7:05 . . . it seems there is a Scotsman in the audience ;)

It's that Scotsman again . . . at 2:56 . . . ;) .

Having had a quick trawl back through this post, I didn't see anything so thought I'd mention that on Netflix there is a series entitled "Inside Freemasonry" and was sponsored by UGLE for the 300th Anniversary. I've watched the first 2 episodes and it seems very well made and a well ought out production.
Here in Canada, it's all much more relaxed than it appears to be across the pond. I've only been in the Craft for 5 years, but enjoy the meetings; we go dark Jul / Aug and meet monthly for the other 10 months of the year. For anyone visiting Banff, PM me and I'll be more than happy to show you around our Lodge - Cascade #5.

Having had a quick trawl back through this post, I didn't see anything so thought I'd mention that on Netflix there is a series entitled "Inside Freemasonry" and was sponsored by UGLE for the 300th Anniversary. I've watched the first 2 episodes and it seems very well made and a well ought out production.
Here in Canada, it's all much more relaxed than it appears to be across the pond. I've only been in the Craft for 5 years, but enjoy the meetings; we go dark Jul / Aug and meet monthly for the other 10 months of the year. For anyone visiting Banff, PM me and I'll be more than happy to show you around our Lodge - Cascade #5.
it was in another thread

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/inside-freemasonry.264528/

Had my Exaltation last night. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. So that's the Craft, Chapter and Mark boxes all ticked. Who knows, maybe KT next. :p

Had my Exaltation last night. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. So that's the Craft, Chapter and Mark boxes all ticked. Who knows, maybe KT next. :p
I joined Royal & Select Masters last year, which requires membership of RA & Mark.

Not done Mark, keep promising to do it one day. Too busy with Craft. RA, RC, Red Cross, KT, ROS. Had to drop OSM Not enough days in the month

Four of those I couldn't do, not a Trinitarian. Sometime in the future I'd like to join the Operatives and maybe the AMD.

One of the chaps in my Mark lodge enquired about KT. I'm 99.9% sure he is Muslim and he was a bit crestfallen when told the prerequisite for joining.

It's a bit sad, but 9 months after I resigned from the Craft and Chapter, my wife - when I mentioned I'd seen someone I knew from the lodge in town- asked me if I missed it. I replied No and I truly meant it. I don't have any beef with the organisation, but my local lot were stuck somewhere about 1859 and it had become a bit of a chore.

It's a bit sad, but 9 months after I resigned from the Craft and Chapter, my wife - when I mentioned I'd seen someone I knew from the lodge in town- asked me if I missed it. I replied No and I truly meant it. I don't have any beef with the organisation, but my local lot were stuck somewhere about 1859 and it had become a bit of a chore.
Cool.

Find another lodge that suits you. The cocaine and hookers lodge might be in your town.

There's always hope - the Craft ain't going anywhere, so who knows in a few years when I'm not so busy...
If you are a Past Master it might be worth joining your Province's Past Master's lodge which is only likely to meet around 3 times a year. That way you will, as a member of a lodge rather than unattached, be able to visit as many lodges as many times as you wish until you find one that you like. Also, in a PM's lodge, I would think that you're more likely to get a good idea from the members which are the better lodges in your Province.