Freemasons

I do like the Long Closing in Taylor's ritual and which I enjoy reciting when those opportunities present themselves. I have yet, for all my years, managed to crack the Tracing Boards.
You are very right in mentioning a healthy LOI, in my instance every Wednesday during the season in my 'civvie' lodge, however my military lodge meets a few hours ahead of a regular meeting to rehearse at Gt. Queen St.
It has been the custom for the IPM to do the long closing for several years now, it's nice as the last piece of 'extra' ritual that even a Master who delegates a lot of work still does.

As for TBs, I learnt them years ago and am not the only one to do them in our Lodge. It's surprising how many Masons of many years standing have never heard the 1st degree TB.

Mark Masons hall down by St James Palace would have been worth a lunch call. Unless you managed to get up to the upstairs rooms for organised dining in the Freemasons Arms, it's just another Covent Garden yuppie pub.
I had done my educational bit in the Grand Lodge, I was starting a very expensive bar crawl.

You are very right in mentioning a healthy LOI
I think that's right. In my own Province,years ago,the LoI was run by old duffers who on occasion appeared to belittle those brethren who came to learn. As a result they never went back - which misses the whole point of the thing. Instruction should be an open and a very enjoyable experience. Thankfully the LoI issue has been resolved now,with younger brethren at the helm.
Pv

I think that's right. In my own Province,years ago,the LoI was run by old duffers who on occasion appeared to belittle those brethren who came to learn. As a result they never went back - which misses the whole point of the thing. Instruction should be an open and a very enjoyable experience. Thankfully the LoI issue has been resolved now,with younger brethren at the helm.
Pv
we have several old fossils who huff and tut their way through any meeting all because someone has got one word wrong or in the wrong order, I mean the horror of saying a list of three words in a slightly different order to the sodding book. Of course when challenged later they use the excuse of helping the younger brethren. They are noticeably absent during LOI.

It's actually one of the few things that has made me think of binning the whole thing. I have better things to do that be criticised publicly when I'm having a few memory issues

we have several old fossils who huff and tut their way through any meeting all because someone has got one word wrong or in the wrong order, I mean the horror of saying a list of three words in a slightly different order to the sodding book. Of course when challenged later they use the excuse of helping the younger brethren. They are noticeably absent during LOI.

It's actually one of the few things that has made me think of binning the whole thing. I have better things to do that be criticised publicly when I'm having a few memory issues
We normally laugh when someone fucks up. There are "Tutters" in the more stricter lodges.

Calm. Use your wile and contacts and move along to a lodge where you feel more settled. They do exist. I've been through, in my early days all of that bollix . It's an honourable institution, so worth at least some of your time, to re-evaluate

Last edited:

I've had people like that in my lodge as well @theoriginalphantom , to the extent that during one pre installation rehearsal the then Father of the
Lodge ( a more gentle man you couldn't wish to meet) shouted at the DoC (the lodge was closed) and rightly so in my view for taking him for a fool. I've said this before on this thread , if they walk in the right direction and the corners are squared and they're happy then so am I. I've known Provincial Officers to make mistakes. Nobody is perfect.
Pv.

Hercules Pillars has a nice room downstairs for Festive Board that we are trialling in December for Installation (very possibly mine, gulp....)

We have more giggling than tutting, I particularly enjoyed at our last one when doing the Charge for EA there was a pause as the deliverer had a memory block and the IPM very helpfully prompted with "And"
Deliverer turned to look at him: "And?"

Needless to say lots of giggling from the benches. We try to enjoy our time in the Temple. Solemness where required but an atmosphere of genuine enjoyment when it isn't in the solemn occasions.

My daughter has sensibly returned to the UK, and sent us some memorabilia, among which is this lapel pin, it may be from my late father-in-law who was a member of a Lodge near Bells Hill outside Glasgow. Can any Brother tell me what it signifies as we do not have such in the GLSA?

Attachments

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Freemasonry is a hobby , hobbies are meant to be enjoyable. The key is to join or move to a lodge of like minded people , no one has to stay in their mother lodge for ever.
The future of freemasonry lies with the younger brethren, so any lodge wishing to survive must adapt to the time pressures on younger men. Farming out of part of a ceremony can take a lot of pressure of WM and allow us old and bold to polish a favourite piece to (near!) perfection

I've had people like that in my lodge as well @theoriginalphantom , to the extent that during one pre installation rehearsal the then Father of the
Lodge ( a more gentle man you couldn't wish to meet) shouted at the DoC (the lodge was closed) and rightly so in my view for taking him for a fool. I've said this before on this thread , if they walk in the right direction and the corners are squared and they're happy then so am I. I've known Provincial Officers to make mistakes. Nobody is perfect.
Pv.
I totally agree, on the night if it flows then all is well as far as I'm concerned. Picking up errors is what LoIs are for.

I am of course slightly biased in this view as I'm Preceptor and DC:cool:.

My daughter has sensibly returned to the UK, and sent us some memorabilia, among which is this lapel pin, it may be from my late father-in-law who was a member of a Lodge near Bells Hill outside Glasgow. Can any Brother tell me what it signifies as we do not have such in the GLSA?
As it is a lapel pin , I suspect its the Square And Compass with an artistic interpretation of the letter G.
Worn by a WM or PM.

Last edited:
As @Chef says, Freemasonry is a hobby and is there to be enjoyed. If they stop enjoying it they stop going.

Fortunately we don't have (m)any tutters in our lodge and we are blessed by visitors who enjoy our rather 'unique' (making it up / winging it as we go along) ceremonies. However, if anyone produces a 'ropey' performance during a ceremony they get fined during a kangaroo court at the festive board. It's only a token 50p which goes in the charity collection and it's only meant as a bit of fun. No one is immune. We fine our PGM and visiting PGMs and any other Brother, on the flimsiest of pretences, or for no reason at all, just 'cos we can.

I visit a lodge in Nottingham and in all its history it has only ever once had the Charge After Passing done and that was by me.

My attitude to ritual is that it is being done for the benefit of the candidate. It is his night and we owe it to him to put as much effort into it as possible. The thing is, the candidate doesn't know what to expect and doesn't have the slightest idea at that point what the words are or what they mean, so as long as the piece flows and most of the words are in the right order then all's well. I doubt there are many Silver Matchbox holders who would criticise.

Any fücker 'tuts' or whinges in my lodge better be ultra shit-hot on their ritual: because at the next meeting they'll be called on to deliver a particularly difficult one at the very least. Previously we've called people's bluff and while the candidate had popped out to restore themselves they were asked if they wanted to deliver the rest of the ritual. Result: cünts stay away and the young lads delivering the ritual know that everyone else in the room is supporting them.

At the last Grand Chapter meeting we had a bit of fun: the visiting display team had asked us to provide an Ark of the Covenant. PFGP asks a junior companion to go to our carpenter and get one made. Lad arrives at the carpenter and asks for an Ark of the Covenant. "How big?" comes the question. "Don't know" is the answer. Young lad then tries calling a few senior masons to get an answer: I was on plane, the lad who gave him the job was in a meeting and another didn't pick up. "Hmmmm" he thought, went to Google and asked "how big was the Ark of the Covenant" and gives the dimensions to the carpenter. The visiting team were stunned but very happy (they'd been expecting to see something small on a tabletop):

Covenant1.jpg

@Dread

What other orders are you in?

What do Freemasons actually do?
Is it just a drinking club with a bit of pomp and circumstance at the beginning?
Control the media, kill those who give away secrets, establish a NWO etc.