Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Freemasonry in the Army

I went for a job interview at Plymouth Council and one of the questions in the application forms was are you a freemason and was one of the 1st questions asked at the interview. I wasn't at that stage but I did think WTF.

Quite believable

Some councils have been historically rife with them, especially if you look at awarding building contracts things can start to look a little dodgy

So maybe they were trying to cover their backs at least

Some people aren't sheep, there are lots of religions and no believers it's no hardship to say you are an atheist.

Of course it is as much of a belief to be an atheist as it is to be religious. The former can no more prove the non-existence of God than the latter can prove his/her/its existence ;)

Some people aren't sheep, there are lots of religions and non believers it's no hardship to say you are an atheist.

I imagine that an atheist must spend as much time not believing in a god/supreme being as the more fanatical believers devote to their god.

Possibly more so, just one little thought of

'Maybe there is something more...'

Next thing you know, religion!!!:eek:

Remember folks, atheism. it's a full time occupation.

Join the agnostics and hedge your bets:cool:

I imagine that an atheist must spend as much time not believing in a god/supreme being as the more fanatical believers devote to their god.

Possibly more so, just one little thought of

'Maybe there is something more...'

Next thing you know, religion!!!:eek:

Remember folks, atheism. it's a full time occupation.

Join the agnostics and hedge your bets:cool:

Just make your bloody mind up?

Being an agnostic is like being a woman (my wife at least) in a restaurant.

Can't decide what to have, then finally decide and then want to taste what you ordered.

Last edited:
In my limited experience, Freemasons tend to attract successful business types from all walks of life. Recruitment and membership tends to consolidate such success. The consolidation may encourage further success, or just like in real life, someone might get ahead of himself and end up in failure.
Sound like real life with a few adverse side effects, and plenty of positives, if you discount the ritual aspects.
The transient nature of regular service might mean that only a few are active participants during service.
Do they allow women to become members? Just asking like. :)

Quite believable

Some councils have been historically rife with them, especially if you look at awarding building contracts things can start to look a little dodgy

So maybe they were trying to cover their backs at least

Yeah, corruption is/was rife in some councils especially in certain areas. I know in one council, I worked at, the housing department director was ordering new kitchens for council houses had one delivered to his own house, which raised a few eyebrows.

I worked at 5 councils in Wales and England and had interviews at a number more but that was the only time that question was raised. Which is why it stuck in my mind as strange.

What a load of Tosh.

As an atheist I have no problem swearing on a Bible in court, or swearing by all mighty god when I joined the military.

Its just the trappings of society, you just do it because thats what the institutions want. You are not lying to your self or anyone.

I don't go to court and lie my head off thinking suckers I don't have to tell the truth because I don't believe. Im also sure that If I said oh can I not do the all mighty god bit the officer would have just said shut up ******** now repeat after me.

I joined my fathers lodge and he knows im an atheist, when asked I just said yes, he didn't stand up and say he's lying stab him with the dagger.

Atheists take their morals from being humanists not from being told if you do this and not this you get to sky pixie land.

When I did Jury Service the option to make an affirmation was given, which I took, same applies to the loyal oath, though when I joined (77) I was advised not to register as an atheist as some CO's wouldn't take kindly to having an unbeliever in their unit! I asked the recruiter what religion the previous guy was and ended up a Methodist! After some time in unit I decided to change my religious nomination, but the clerks wouldn't let me do so without seeing the Chaplain (this was early 80's). The Chaplain said he understood my predicament but recommended that I pick agnostic, as the current CO was a bit of a god botherer and being agnostic rather than atheist would indicate that possibly there was some hope for me. Agnostic I remained until the introduction of JPA and was able to change it myself.

As clear as a flawed decanter of unassigned gender. Thank you.
Basically only men* can join UGLE. If they wish to pretend they are female afterwards the can do and still be a member.
*Women who wish to pretend they are men can also join, because the law says they are male.