Freemasonry in the Army

endure

GCM
I might have mentioned this before (I'm old and forgetful) but when we lived in Melbourne (Oz) my Dad joined the masons. It was the only way to get a drink after 6pm.

When I did Jury Service the option to make an affirmation was given, which I took, same applies to the loyal oath, though when I joined (77) I was advised not to register as an atheist as some CO's wouldn't take kindly to having an unbeliever in their unit! I asked the recruiter what religion the previous guy was and ended up a Methodist! After some time in unit I decided to change my religious nomination, but the clerks wouldn't let me do so without seeing the Chaplain (this was early 80's). The Chaplain said he understood my predicament but recommended that I pick agnostic, as the current CO was a bit of a god botherer and being agnostic rather than atheist would indicate that possibly there was some hope for me. Agnostic I remained until the introduction of JPA and was able to change it myself.
Most definitely used a bible in 1980 unfortunately for some reason some moron of a clerk could not under stand that I was Greek Orthodox so put me down as Jewish Orthodox. I only found out when I got my first set of dog tags. I gave up trying to change it.

endure

GCM
Most definitely used a bible in 1980 unfortunately for some reason some moron of a clerk could not under stand that I was Greek Orthodox so put me down as Jewish Orthodox. I only found out when I got my first set of dog tags. I gave up trying to change it.

Oi veh!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Any aspect of the craft should never be discussed with non brothers.
Quite right too, wouldn't want folk to stop feeling suspicious about your organisation, would you?

rubbish and sheer tosh , that's why the big house has a press and pr department .
The only things which are not allowed to be spoken about are the modes of recognition other than that everything else is up for grabs Don believe me ? read the book of constitutions or better still phone the ugle press office and ask them .

How do I know this ? well meself and John Hamill director of communications have been on very many radio programmes and few TV interviews making this same statement, John even goes as far as to hand out his phone number out on air.

All this stuff about don't tell them pike ! Is just to make little men feel big . We are the worlds oldest secular fraternity all our SO CALLED secrets are available in the many thousands of books which are available throughout the world . how sick was it that after ww2 many sons wanted to be masons but didint know that their fathers or other relatives were already in ? This form of secrecy had it roots in the the fact that Hitler, Mussolini and Franco were rounding up Freemasons and murdering them .

We installed the modes of recognition because in the days before large organised charities,and the lack of a social care system members were entitled to apply to lodges for relief if they were found to be poor and distressed . So you didint want any tom dick or harry coming into the lodge and asking for cash because they were hard up , you had to be able to prove you were a member . The Trades Unions did this as did the friendly society's. In the old day when there was no tax relief of charities you could hand out your lodge funds as per your own lodges constitutions. Now a days because of the tax relief we have to give our Charity money to OTHER charities rather to supplicants in person. Before I joined the craft rumours abounded that the Freemason only helped themselves ,but i found that over £io million pounds back then was going to outside charities . Very few lodges now keep a benevolent fund which is cash kept in a fund which pays tax at source so that for example if a chap cant pay his gas bill the lodge hands him over the money .

My own Lodge minutes give a few examples of monies given for funerals poor widows etc and one in particular regarding a chap from tup norf who petitioned the lodge for money to pay his coach fare back home, no reason was given but this was refused outright . Once suspects he was a chancer .

So if you were paying 6/6 per quarter for lodge meetings followed by lashings of food and brandy you wouldn't want any old tom dick etc wandering in and abusing the system, we once left a pub because the guvnor put up the price of a barrel of Brandy by 2/6 d !
So private is the watchword NOT secrecy lads .
Further to that, most lodges under UGLE work to what is known as Emulation Ritual which is contained in a small book that details our ceremonies. The contents of which include:

The Ceremony of Opening a Lodge
The Ceremony of Opening a lodge in the Second Degree
The Ceremony of Opening a Lodge in the Third Degree
The Ceremony of Closing a Lodge in the Third Degree
The Ceremony of Closing a lodge in the Second Degree
The Ceremony of Closing a Lodge
First Degree or Ceremony of Initiation
Second Degree or Ceremony of Passing
Third Degree or Ceremony of Raising
The Ceremony of Installation

The book can be purchased from any regalia shop by anybody, in person or online.

The biggest secret in freemasonry is that we don't have any secrets. The conspiraloons won't believe that but whatever you tell people like that they won't change what they want to believe.

As mentioned above, we make an obligation not to reveal our modes of recognition but that obligation is only binding on those who adhere to the rules of the organisation that they are a member of. Most of us take that obligation seriously. Those who decide that they no longer wish to be a member and resign (or get expelled) may feel no such further obligation. It is quite easy to find out that information online or in print, with the usual caveat that there is so much more rubbish than accuracy that what you read will invariably be a load of crap.

Freemasonry is described as a 'system of morality, based on allegory and illustrated by symbols'. The allegory we use to impart the moral lessons is a story based around the building of King Solomon's Temple and the characters involved in that endeavour. The symbols used include many of the tools used in the stonemason's trade. The ceremonies of initiation, passing and raising are used to tell the story and our modes of recognition form part of that story.

The real secret in freemasonry is the Director of Ceremony's ability to herd cats. As any lodge DC will tell you, it is a bit of a black art getting the brethren to assemble in the temple in any sense of order so that the Master and his Wardens can enter and open the lodge, and then prompt and advise the Master when he makes a pig's ear of the proceedings. Having been DC / ADC for about the last 7 years I will be handing over my wand so that the next gullible idiot keen brother can take charge of the lodge.

N.B. No goats were harmed during the writing of this post.

The real secret in freemasonry is the Director of Ceremony's ability to herd cats. As any lodge DC will tell you, it is a bit of a black art getting the brethren to assemble in the temple in any sense of order so that the Master and his Wardens can enter and open the lodge, and then prompt and advise the Master when he makes a pig's ear of the proceedings. Having been DC / ADC for about the last 7 years I will be handing over my wand so that the next gullible idiot keen brother can take charge of the lodge.
Beautifully put.

Everyone knows that the WM waves the gavel about when told to do so by the Sec and the DC rules the floor and ritual.
Just been informed by text, that having been through the Chair twice and an encore period as Secretary besides the numerous office stand-ins as a result of absentees at meetings, I'm ADC for the forthcoming year.

Everyone knows that the WM waves the gavel about when told to do so by the Sec and the DC rules the floor and ritual.
Indeed, when I was in the chair I always looked to the DC for guidance. I was fortunate that my DC when I was WM was a very experienced mason in the craft and also in other orders beyond the craft. Ex shaky boat too.

A good set of Past Masters will make the WM's time in the chair so much easier, without detracting from him. I was fortunate I had a good team around me including an Asst. Prov. GM.

morsk

LE
Mafia for the mediocre. Mans got to have a hobby. Let them crack on with whatever they want - they're not hurting anyone. Wasn't Peter Sutcliffe a mason?

Chef

LE
Sounds about right to me. Although the assorted ritual books are 'secret' in that the various key words are represented by a series of dots. (Although if one forgets them a quick search of the internet has them all:eek:)

Speaking as a DC any meeting where we all start, finish at the same time and nobody trips over the furniture is a good one.:cool:. I have an IPM to keep an eye on the Master.

I've always held to the belief that the WM says what he wants to happen and the DC, Secretary and Treasurer either make it so or suggest an alternative. It's the WM's trainset but he'd be a fool to entirely ignore his advisers.

Sounds about right to me. Although the assorted ritual books are 'secret' in that the various key words are represented by a series of dots. (Although if one forgets them a quick search of the internet has them all:eek:)

Speaking as a DC any meeting where we all start, finish at the same time and nobody trips over the furniture is a good one.:cool:. I have an IPM to keep an eye on the Master.

I've always held to the belief that the WM says what he wants to happen and the DC, Secretary and Treasurer either make it so or suggest an alternative. It's the WM's trainset but he'd be a fool to entirely ignore his advisers.
Unless the WM is already an experienced PM, he is allowed to think it's his train set.

As DC I usually take a back seat and let the Master run the lodge his way. I have no wish to undermine him or take the attention away from him but there are times when he does need to be given advice when he's getting a bit lost or confused. A good DC should be almost invisible.

Chef

LE
@Jimmy_Green there ought to be an agree button though the 'like' serves. We have a string o MMs going through the chair. The next in line is very nervous of doing the wrong thing so asks advice all the time on admin matters. He worries about the ritual but as he's done both the 1st and 2nd TB I've pointed out that there's nothing in the book to worry about.

I agree with being invisible. Once the meeting starts it's pretty much out of my hands anyway. It should all have been thrashed out in LoI.

As a Brother who has played Dungeons and Dragons and other Role Playing games since the 70's. I would love to get a group together in a Lodge rec room for a weekly or bi-weekly game.
Just no Past Masters... they would be saying, "Thats not how we did it in 1st Edition"

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
does anyone know where i can get the ritual workings for the brand new Mithras degree at all ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lacrabat Army Reserve 21
Bravo_Bravo The Intelligence Cell 80
Arfur The Intelligence Cell 17

Latest Threads