Freemasonry in the Army

At a recent event I was surprised to hear a number of Reservists saying they where Freemasons
I've known these guys for a few years and had no idea
I also saw comment here about people being Freemasons so it made me wonder how many serving people are Freemasons and if there is any possible conflict with service life?
No axe to grind no agenda just curious

At a recent event I was surprised to hear a number of Reservists saying they where Freemasons
I also saw comment here about people being Freemasons so it made me wonder how many serving people are Freemasons and if there is any possible conflict with service life?
There is quite a lengthy thread on this topic. I appreciate that you're new on board. Try the search function.

What kind of conflict do you think there could be?

Its a social club of likeminded people. Personally I dont think its anymore cliquey or dangerous than any other social organisation out there from football fans to private members clubs.

There is the old rumour about looking after other Freemasons and putting them before non members No idea if it's still true
You mean like looking after Rotary club members, Rugby club members, Facebook friends, political party members etc etc?
On the whole, its utter bollocks spouted by jealous people who can't get on in the army or be invited to join a lodge.

There is one sat in the office next to me and at least another 3 that I know of in the Regt, all good lads who happen to be in the same social club. It has no physical effect on the running of the Regt.

There is the old rumour about looking after other Freemasons and putting them before non members No idea if it's still true
Taking into account the number of freemasons I have known who went bankrupt, to jail or suffered other misfortunes I would say in general probably not.

A mate of mine married an Admirals daughter and the old boy (RIP) once remarked to me that when doing an inspection and a medal pinning (LSGC), the CPO recipient of the medal gave the old boy a Masonic handshake. "Cheeky bugger", said the Admiral.

There is one sat in the office next to me and at least another 3 that I know of in the Regt, all good lads who happen to be in the same social club. It has no physical effect on the running of the Regt.
It will have a physical effect on you if I get anymore lip.

FIGHT, FIGHT!

In the early 80s, my regimental hierarchy was ruled by the Masons. In 1984, an RCM (RSM) was sacked and his replacement was the first non mason in living memory mainly because the brothers didn't have time to line up their candidate. He had a hell of a job routing out the influence of the lodge but he prevailed and they never really got their power back.

Taking into account the number of freemasons I have known who went bankrupt, to jail or suffered other misfortunes I would say in general probably not.

A mate of mine married an Admirals daughter and the old boy (RIP) once remarked to me that when doing an inspection and a medal pinning (LSGC), the CPO recipient of the medal gave the old boy a Masonic handshake. "Cheeky bugger", said the Admiral.
A bit of strange reaction from the admiral. If he was a Mason he shouldn't care.

In the early 80s, my regimental hierarchy was ruled by the Masons. In 1984, an RCM (RSM) was sacked and his replacement was the first non mason in living memory mainly because the brothers didn't have time to line up their candidate. He had a hell of a job routing out the influence of the lodge but he prevailed and they never really got their power back.
How did you know who was a Mason and who wasnt?
If they are really all powerful, getting a rid of an RSM wouldnt have been a problem.

Then how did he know about the handshake?
I am not a mason, but have been on the receiving end of so many I recognise the handshake.

You mean like looking after Rotary club members, Rugby club members, Facebook friends, political party members etc etc?
On the whole, its utter bollocks spouted by jealous people who can't get on in the army or be invited to join a lodge.
Why you may ask did I give you a dislike? Because, you're completely right,and I have to agree with you and now I feel dirty, and I feel used. I'll probably have to do the walk of shame next.