Freedoms Lost for Americans Since 2001

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Jan 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Read 'em and weep.

2. Well, you voted for it, What's the problem?
    Besides any country that elected GW Bush after electing Ray-gun, deserves everything they get.

3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wherever I go I see cameras, lots of different cameras, if I look up I see cameras watching people if I drive I see cameras monitoring my speed, my licence plate, some cameras i'm not sure what they monitor. Sometimes I think i'm being watched but i'm not sure but I think I am...

• Like Like x 4
  5. We can't defend ourselves by being ignorant of the laws but we don't know what the laws are, they change all the time, they get more complex, more difficult to understand and to Police. If my dog shits on a field the council are happy to fine me £80 if I don't pick it up and are readily available during the day to fine people. There is a massive £500 fine for drinking in the same field at any time but nobody i've ever heard has been fined for this.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Some of that list are well within the realms of fantasy "tin-foil hat" territory.

Blaming mass murders on a government trying to get rid of the wholly indefensible 2nd Amendment and kids being taught what to think than how to think is just right wing gun toting hysteria.

Anyone who needs more than a hand gun or shotgun to defend property or says they need a military assault rifle to go hunting should not be classed as mentally stable enough to carry a gun. If they can't be bothered to secure those guns at home and kids run a mock with them, I'm not sure the government are first in line for blame, except that they haven't introduced more gun control. Remember, ensuring that gun owners control their weapons and controlling what type of weapons they can legally hold, does not mean 'no guns'.

As for the methods used to teach kids in schools. Installing a bit of pride in your country is a good thing. The systematic brainwashing that went on in US schools during the Cold War is probably to blame for the foreign policies that led to 9/11 and much of the mess since.

Only my humble opinion, which I believe the constitution allows me to have. However, I am donning CBA, helmet and retiring to my metaphorical Sanger to await the barrage of "my rights" right wing vitriol that follows the voicing of such opinions.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Erm...I assume "you" is the collective "you." I think your bias is showing just a tad. Cheers comrade.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I didn't realise that Bush the Simple was elected in 2001. I thought he was appointed by the Republican leaning Supreme Court. Had something to do with thousands of non-white Americans being taken off the voters' roll in Florida by some bint that was a fan of the simpleton and his brother being the Governer of Florida. Besides that what freedoms have we lost in the UK??? Ever heard of the EU ?? Who voted for the UK to join "this ever closer union" of countries???

• Like Like x 2
  9. i suppose we will have to just agree to disagree.

10. I believe that is down to a silly concept called the "rule of law" that should work regardless of one's "feelings." Besides the 2001 election is old news and any irregularities in that one pale in comparison to those documented in 2008 and 2012.

11. These encroachment a on freedom and the rule of law are like death by 1000 cuts.

12. Funny that. I feel that quite acutely when visiting the UK.

13. It's also an easy fine to collect unless you are drinking on a field at night when the council staff finish work at 1700hrs.
    Do you have councils in the US? Are the allowed to issue fines and interview people taped under caution?

14. Do the cameras protect anyone? Do they make people feel safer? If an old lady is raped does she look up to see a camera in the hope it will rescue her?
    No I suspect none of these things.

15. Probably.

I can only answer for myself. They don't bother me, and I like to think that after the numbers prosecuted for the 2011 riots due to CCTV evidence they will act as a deterrent.

Four or five years ago (ish) either The Times or The Telegraph did an extensive piece about CCTV cameras, looking at how they are controlled, weighing up pros and cons etc. It contained an account of a woman who called 999 complaining of domestic violence. If a 999 call is made from a residence CCTV operators are allowed to swivel the cameras on the street to film the residence. The domestic violence was captured and recorded and put the scum behind bars. Had a google but couldn't find the article.

I don't understand why people get upset by CCTV tbh. Being scared of it has always sounded slightly tin-foil-hattish to me. Each to their own though.

Oh and that statistic about there being 2 gazillion cameras for every UK subject is sensationalist nonsense. Could be more, could be less.

• Like Like x 1