Freedom of the city for the Argylls

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by abeaumont, Nov 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From todays Kentish Gazette....

"The Freedom of the City of Canterbury is to be awarded to the 5th Batallion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland who have made their home base at Howe Barracks."

It will be given to the Battalion at a meeting of the city council this evening, in fact, about 30 minutes from now.

The citation reads "in recognition of the the excellent relations which exists between the community of Canterbury and the battalion which has served with distinction in many theatres of war and conflict; and of the outstanding service in the past, and in the current conflicts, to the nation."

When the battalion returns from somewhere hot and sandy very soon, it will exercise its new right to march through the city with fixed bayonets in a freedom and homecoming celebration, on Sunday 7th December. The Freedom Scroll will be presented at 1145 by the Lord Mayor. The march will start at 1130 in Station Road West - if any of you would like to be there to see them.

I will.

2. Quick question. Is it normal to give this to a battalion rather than a regiment/corps?
  3. Well done A&SH

ne obliviscaris
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Yes. Individual Bns is the norm

Edited to add - congratulations to A&SH. Obviously well liked in the town.
  5. Thanks for the reply, I did not know that. Congrats to to Argyls BTW. I hope they get a good reception.
  6. Since September 10th 2003 the Argylls have been based in Howe Barracks.
    Every year they have been on operations.

2004- Op Telic 3/4
    2005- Op Oculus
    2006 B Coy Op Herrick
    2007- ?
    2008- Op Herrick
  7. Better start polishing up that battered mess-tin, lads. :)

Congratulations to the Boltons and well done Canterbury!
  8. well done the badgers!!

hope to return your Bn 2IC so p*ssed he will be unable to stand during the parade!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
  9. Congratulations! A and SH. Some Battalion! Some Regiment!

Well done also to the Canterbury city fathers.