Freedom of Speech - or incentive to racial hatred?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SixBadges, Mar 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The following video has already been banned on youtube. It will never be shown on terrestrial television.

Is it inciting religious hatred?
    Is it invoking the 'right' (in some countries) of freedom of speech?
    Does it raise thought provoking questions which require a response from the authorities involved?

Make up your own mind.

(It's about 15 minutes long; so be patient).

2. LINK

If that is a faithful reproduction of what it states in the Quran, and a truly factual report, I'm sure people are entitled to view it and to make up their own minds. How can fact be censored any more than history be rewritten?

Whether these views are truly those of the group their purport to represent, or an isolated view of a minority, isn't exactly clear. Hopefully it really is just an isolated minority.

3. "The Devil can cite scripture for his purpose. An evil soul proclaiming holy witness is like a villain with a smiling cheek, a goodly apple rotten at the heart. O what a goodly outside falsehood hath."

William Shakespeare: Merchant of Venice Act 1 Scene 3

"He that hath a gospel, whereby heaven is won,
    Cameleer or Carpenter, or Maya's dreaming son.
    Many swords shall pierce him, mingling blood with gall;
    But his own disciple shall wound him worst of all."

Rudyard Kipling: The Disciple.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)

4. "If that is a faithful reproduction of what it states in the Quran..."

Yup, it is.

The maddest, most frightening read I have had in a long while. Every third sentence is essentially : "God is great... He knows everything... you'll burn in hell if you don't obey this book..."

Very, very dangerous when this is used as a tool by the clever to manipulate the stupid.

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Pretty much sums up the lunatic element of Islam - and no, it's not a fringe minority. If it was a fringe minority, there would not be such mass appeal to Muslims, with bomb attacks all over the world, hijackings, explosions over lockerbie, in London, Madrid, Bali or elsewhere. There would not be loud protests all over the world calling for the murder by beheading of those who 'insult' Islam, with the resultant fatwahs against peope like Salman Rushdie, or the murders of the Dutch writers.

I don't see Buddhists doing the same thing!

6. Nasty little bit of racist b******s which I forced myself to sit through. Yes terrorist bombings are horrible; but they are whoever perpetrates them. Yes Islam has some nutcases but not many considering there are billions of Muslims in the world. There are just as many Christians with extreme views lurking in the US etc. This isn't about freedom of speech its just small minded xenophobia.

There are things that need to be challenged in Islam and some of its practices are medievil to say the least but this film isn't going to do it.

7. The bible on the other hand says nothing of the sort......... :roll:

I like the quotes SLR, sometimes I think Shakespeare was born before his time. Or maybe he was just around to see the Christian Crusades.....

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nasty and bigoted it may be - but answer me this: What other socially cohesive group/religion, anywhere in the world commits such numerous atrocities against civilians, year in, year out, all over the world, irrespective of race or gender?

The chinese have nearly half the world's population, but they aren't blowing up markets, resorts and airliners. The Indians - huge population - they aren't doing it. I don't see members of the Christian religion blowing up civilians left, right and centre with suitcase bombs, vehicle bombs, bomb-belts or airliners.

Why is it that these atrocities are pretty much ALL caused by people from all over the globe who share ONE commonality - Islam?

9. I've read the bible & koran.

IMO the bible was more of a story book and the koran an instuction manual.

bible = early version of a terry pratchett novel
    koran = early version of the anarchist cookbook

10. Did I even try to defend Christianity? Did I mention it at all?

Like Biped points out, embassies are not being sacked by christians. People are not being beheaded in the name of 'religion,' by christians. Young girls are not being genitally mutilated, in Britain, by christians. Up to one thousand girls a year, in Britain, are not dissappearing from their schools in forced christian marriages. Chritians in Britain do not get to claim an extra £34 a week in benefits PER EXTRA WIFE.

Jest - I don't really understand your point. Do you suggest that Islam is not a problem? Or is it that Christianity made enough of a mess a few hundred years ago, so men wearing dresses should be allowed to do the same now? Yes, people are fallible, and I believe that atrocities will always be committed down the years in the name of religion - but do we have to excuse or encourage them?

You saw the video, right? The savages holding up Ken Bigley's head? That woman's head on the floor? The woman being topped with an AK round? Those lads being hung from a crane? Just how much barbarism are you prepared to excuse 'because the Christians did it as well?'

11. Not forgetting pro-lifers in the US killing doctors, or mad Irishman blowing up pubs.

Christianity is not as militant as Islam, its nutters tend to go for not educating kids properly (not teaching evoloution in schools etc). The truely violent acts carried out in the name of Islam are few are far between, the problem is that the vast majority of muslims don't speak out to oppose these things. Silence equals consent is most peoples minds.

12. I think the problem is more to do with the regions these people come from, not their religion. NW Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are some of the most inward looking and backward places on the Earth. They are angry with the rest of the world which is much more advanced than them and they retreat into their religion (bit of a parallel with Mid West of the US there). The only way they can make a mark is through terrorism. To support this how many Indonesian muslims do you see involved in terrorism; not that many.

Islamic terrorism in the UK is more to do with sad no-hopers than with real religious fervour.

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

In 1857 we rather upset a group of moslems and Himdus, who took umbrage and decided to massacre a fair amount of Europeans. When we got a grip of the situation, we executed the ringleaders by blowing them from cannons. Quite an effective way of sorting out a hothead.

However, we didn't then, or at any other time embark on a program of planned genocide, which is pretty much what our current adversaries are advocating. Their avowed intent is to establish a world, an entire civilisation, based on their own religious beliefs, and rooted in the 16th century.
    I know little about the legal side of it, but I do feel that any societial order that promotes and desires actively that sort of change may be guilty of some serious offence.

14. Although I don't agree for a minute that the view of some of these fruitloops represent the views of the majority of muslims its fun to imagine what the world would be like if they succeeded.

Imagine the whole world was Muslim. Do we think the Saudis would still be allowed to run things? Have the world religion run by Arabs and Pakistanis? Don't think so; probably be run by the US or the EU. Disney could do the Hadj with a bit more efficiency I should think. In fact we could move Mecca to somewhere a bit more central like Brussels. Learn the Koran in arabic? Mid Atlantic English would be easier.

Major lack of joined up thinking on the part of some of our more rabid friends. If a mouse eats an elephant it ends up looking like the elephant.

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Fantastic take on things - you are right of course. Begs the question though; who would they blow up if the world was Muslim . . . oh yes, each other. Sunnis, Shias, Wahabi's and other 'wings' of Islam, just like they do now really. In fact, I fear the global position would remain very much the same - this being the 'western' sphere of Islam (EU and US), kicking seven shades out of the errant terrorists in the ME.