Freedom of Information

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Cooperman, Mar 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondered if anyone had requested any info from the MOD under the FOI? If you have did you get what you wanted and were there any repercussions at unit level?

2. Only the Special Forces and military units providing assistance to the Government Communications HQ are outside the freedom of information Act. If you request information and your not happy with the response or what you have received, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office who are an independent public body set up to promote access to official information and to protect personal information.

But dont hold your breathe, I lodged a complaint with the Investigatory Powers Tribunal a few years ago who also are supposed to be an independent body "B*****Ks they are!!. Out of 90 cases put before that tribunal, none were upheld!.

The MOD do publish on the main website certain documents under the FOI but not much that would really interest many.

3. I applied earlier this yeaar. Within 2 days I was told my apllication would be dealt with within 21 days. 21 days later I received my reply..."I'm sorry the information you require is held within the Cabinet Office" So the process has just started again.

That said, I used the process with the local council over a dispute at our local school and it worked well.

4. 21 days is great response time. I received mine back from the IPT 7 months later!!!!

5. I'm sure the FOI act has a 21 day response time as part of the Act. But you need to state that your question is being asked under the Act. I worte to our local council about a bad bit of road, never received an answer. So I asked agin, this time stating it was a request under the FOI. Guess what reply in less than 3 days! Quote the act, get answers.