Freediving thread

@Lardbeast thought I'd start a freediving thread as there isn't a dedicated one.

I know it's a fairly esoteric activity but I've been told it's now a tier 4 AT activity (at least in the Royal Marines)

Just successfully completed my AIDA 2* which involes 20 meter dives amongst other tests.

I'm a water rat and I still find the depths involved a bit daunting. But once you are into it it's good fun.

We ended the day soaring to the bottom holding a big weight which was an incredible experience.

Ian at freediveuk is a cracking fella and runs course in Cornwall and abroad with the bonus that he speak fluent boot neck as he trains the bubbleheads and the PTI's at CTCRM

FreediveUK

Highly recommended

Next step, breaking out the spear gun

The only "freediving" I've seen (on TV, not in the flesh) was where some cheeky sod held on to a weight which pulled her to some impressive depth before she paddled her way topside - then claimed a world record!

More impressive, and a proper "freedive" would be if she went under without holding on to a weight.

The only "freediving" I've seen (on TV, not in the flesh) was where some cheeky sod held on to a weight which pulled her to some impressive depth before she paddled her way topside - then claimed a world record!

More impressive, and a proper "freedive" would be if she went under without holding on to a weight.

One of my former employees is into it and spearfishing at the same time. She has a few World records currently - seems pretty crazy to me. Not much room for mistakes/accidents etc.

Last edited:
@Lardbeast thought I'd start a freediving thread as there isn't a dedicated one.

I know it's a fairly esoteric activity but I've been told it's now a tier 4 AT activity (at least in the Royal Marines)

Just successfully completed my AIDA 2* which involes 20 meter dives amongst other tests.

I'm a water rat and I still find the depths involved a bit daunting. But once you are into it it's good fun.

We ended the day soaring to the bottom holding a big weight which was an incredible experience.

Ian at freediveuk is a cracking fella and runs course in Cornwall and abroad with the bonus that he speak fluent boot neck as he trains the bubbleheads and the PTI's at CTCRM

FreediveUK

Highly recommended

Open Water scares the shit out of me, BZ for doing it. I much prefer mountains and free falling.

Keep well away from conger eels.

Spearguns only upset them, and they are vindictive beasts.

6ft 4" ?....... you'll be 4ft "2" before they spit out the bits........

I've seen them in fishing trips, 6ft long, heads about 4-5" diameter, then seen them looking out of reefs on Anglesey, with heads like alsatians.

There are a plethora of disciplines. For me getting to the bottom rapidly hanging on to a weight is a very satisfying way of doing it as no energy is used finning down

The starfish I grabbed was less impressed

The reverse of your experience, I've been to 35k above sea level. I've found it a rather spuritual experience, possibly related to my personality.
So why go dèep and carry a weapon?

The reverse of your experience, I've been to 35k above sea level. I've found it a rather spuritual experience, possibly related to my personality.
So why go dèep and carry a weapon?

May I ask a question? The feeling of falling is addictive, I climb and “sport free falling”.

I fimd the risk addictive.

May I ask a question? The feeling of falling is addictive, I climb and “sport free falling”.

I fimd the risk addictive.

It's been some while ago. I've been around many of London's high rise buildings and considered I'd base jump this without effort.
Other more pragmatical considerations to the forefront, the actual act is very straightforward.

It's been some while ago. I've been around many of London's high rise buildings and considered I'd base jump this without effort.
Other more pragmatical considerations to the forefront, the actual act is very straightforward.

Thanks for the reply, my thoughts are exactly the same. Exiting, jumping or being pushed is essence.

or being pushed is essence.

Pleasr no! Every act is undertaken wuth knowledge aforethought. It's the science and the intellect to do the 'biz' wbich is important

Soŕry OP for the thread drift. I still feel that killing stuff should not feature in your underwater deep adventures.

W

Waldo76

You may have heard of Y40, you may have visited it for all I know. It's on my bucket list....

Latest Threads