Free University Tuition for the kids of Canadas fallen

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gheluvelt, Jul 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Four Canadian universities will be covering the cost of tuition for the children of soldiers killed in the line of duty to help them complete undergraduate degrees starting this fall.
    The Project Hero scholarships are available at Memorial University in Newfoundland, the University of Ottawa, the University of Windsor and the University of Calgary.

The scholarships, which become available on Sept. 1 this fall, will cover four academic years.

"It's the least we can do to express our respect and gratitude to members of our armed services who put their lives on the line for Canada everyday," Allan Rock, the president of the University of Ottawa, told CTV News Channel Tuesday.

"At the university we feel this is a very tangible way to say to the families of the people that are serving for Canada, that we value their contribution and we want to do something to demonstrate that gratitude."

He said that first-year residence fees would also be waived for those eligible.

"Hopefully it will take some pressure off families and reduce pressure," he said.

The scholarships were launched by retired general Rick Hiller, who is now serving as chancellor of Memorial University in his native Newfoundland.

Ottawa alum Kevin Reed, now a Toronto-area businessman, came up with the idea and was instrumental in getting the program together, Rock said.

"It is my goal to get broad-based, national support from all Canadian universities," Reed told The Canadian Press.

Many of the fallen Canadian soldiers' children are many years away from university age and Rock said the program is intended to be long-term.

"We want the families to know we are going to be there," he said. "This is a long-term commitment."

Rock added the program will be reviewed every five years to see if improvements can be made.
  2. Cracking plan!

Now, let's see if we can do the same here in Blighty.....

I'd take them on for one.
  3. Ever the optomist then?
  4. You mean England, Wales and NI, don't have them in Scotland
  5. No universities in Scotland? :?

Wonder what that place was I used to work in Stirling was then?
    I seem to have fallen prey to a rather elaborate hoax....

Edit to add
    Doh! I realised that you were talking about bursaries... :oops:
    This system could provide students in Scotland with an improved grant to make sure they don't need to worry about money.
  6. Well, it is worth a try. We are under severe pressure to take in people with 'non-traditional' backgrounds who often under-perform...

I'd be more than happy with some money going to those families who have lost fathers/mothers whilst serving.