Free Train travel

on a rare occasion out on the lash at the weekend.....

I travelled to London with some friends, one of which is a police woman.

I was surprised when she just flashed her warrent card and got free travel?

How come police get this when we get nothing? (well money off at Millets!)

She also told me Dominos Pizza was almost free!!!!!

I know the police do a great job, but what about some parity?

Legs said:
You get free flights to Iraq and Afghanistan don't you?
ha!!!! :D

If you knew me, you'd know I've been trying to get one of those for years!!!!

Officially given up on that idea now....

My view is get as much out of the Army as I can.

bibo_boy said:
Legs said:

I don't know what but there's something that slightly grates with this...

mediumwhiteamericano said:
bibo_boy said:
Legs said:

When you've been shafted by them as many times as I have, you get a little bitter.

The Army have put me in a position where my civi employment has been negatively effected. If this ever resulted in loosing my job... would you or the Army help me pay my mortage whilst I find another job to support my wife and kids?

bibo_boy said:
bibo_boy said:
Legs said:

When you've been shafted by them as many times as I have, you get a little bitter.

The Army have put me in a position where my civi employment has been negatively effected. If this ever resulted in loosing my job... would you or the Army help me pay my mortage whilst I find another job to support my wife and kids?
Why don't you get yourself one of those cards that gets you free train travel too? Then you will only have one job to whinge about.

bibo_boy said:
on a rare occasion out on the lash at the weekend.....

I travelled to London with some friends, one of which is a police woman.

I was surprised when she just flashed her warrent card and got free travel?

How come police get this when we get nothing? (well money off at Millets!)

She also told me Dominos Pizza was almost free!!!!!

I know the police do a great job, but what about some parity?

No1 son is in the Met and he gets free travel when hes flashes his card, but, for that free travel, officially, they ARE on duty in that train, the conductor can call upon them to do the biz if someone or something kicks off.

So, its easy, pay up, be a member of the public and do and say nothing if the conductor needs a hand, or, flash your badge, get free travel but you are on duty!!!

But if things were so bad why didn't you exercise your right to walk? Doing the honourable thing and being 'shafted' for thanks isn't the best avenue to follow is it?
I didn't quit because strangely I'd miss it..... (I've tried before!!)

It pays me some "pocket money" and I'm not sure why... but I actually like it because it makes me appreciate home more. (I'd miss a couple of people too!)

What I don't like is working hard to achieve a rank and trade that really means nothing and being a part of an organisation that really serves no purpose.

Anyway, I'll stop moaning now!!!!!! Got to prepare a lesson for tonight because I can't get a qualified instructor in to teach it. (at work whilst still trying to do my real job!)

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
bibo_boy said:
bibo_boy said:
Legs said:

So you want to go on Ops, but you have a problem with the Army/TA messing up your civvy job. Make your mind up!

Legs said:
So you want to go on Ops, but you have a problem with the Army/TA messing up your civvy job. Make your mind up!
Right firstly.... the whole point of the thread was just to highlight that the TA and Regular Army deserve more support generally.

Trust me I can afford the train fare and the comment of the police officer being on duty if riding free on trains is laughable, tell my mate that she should loose the high heels next time she's "working"

As for the above comments legs...

Yes I want to go on Ops. and yes I do have a problem when they book me onto cses tell my employer i'm going then cancel the deployment without even telling me in person.

I think bibo boy (uggh ghastly name) is essentially saying he wouldn't mind being wazzed around over work, in order to go on ops. however he resents being wazzed around during the normal training year, when lets face it a little 6Ps activity by the head shed and permanent staff could avoid it.

I cannot see the contradicition. If I choose to go on ops, as I did in the past, that is my shout. If the TA however goes to a default setting of "on the truck/off the truck" then it is not my choice, usually is minorly affecting them but usually majorly impacts me! It is like a dyslexic dwarf, not big..and not clever but I never seem to see evidence of somebody putting their foot on the ball and trying to raise standards of planning or admin.

Cuddles said:
bibo boy (uggh ghastly name) quote]

It's my son's nick name.... sorry.

Bibo = Baby.... just one of those silly baby name things.... lol

Anyway, I'm not really this bitter normally...

I just wanted to serve my country in a real way (ops is the only way to do this in my opinion) with maximum support possible.

If someome in my section/det. were being deployed, I'd treat them like family.... and make sure they were personally looked after 24 hrs a day if needed.

F

fozzy

I think rather than free travel, why not extend the Forces Rail Card to the TA?

Ah yes - that would cost money - silly me.

Travel free for the MET going west from London is only as far as Didcot Parkway. I have known prosecution for fare evasion to be taken against MET officers attempting to travel further than this, or buying a ticket from, for example, Cheltenham to Gloucester to get throgh the barrier and then try to travel the rest of the way. Funny enough, phone calls of the "Why can't you just drop it?" have been made by MET senior officers in these cases, which to my mind comes dangerously close to "attempting to pervert the course of justice", not that I would dare accuse any police officer of doing that 8O

In South Wales, Arriva allow South Wales Police in uniform to travel free on their trains, but this is just a cheap way of trying to get out of having adequate seciurity on the trains.

However, in no case is posession of a warrent-card a valid excuse for free First-Class upgrade, which can really annoy some officers who think it is. I'm afraid I don't hold with the "well if I am in First Class you know where I am if you need me" argument :twisted:

I know BTP get free travel, but i believe the condition being that they are considered on duty whilst travelling.

Its not free travel. The MPS pays about 1.5M quid a year for it. This eased the 1990's recruitment and retention crisis as it allowed people to come live outside London in affordable housing. Its a damn site cheaper than the equivillent payrise to everyone.

You are not on duty when you travel but are expected to place yourself on duty should something happen. Traffic wardens and PCSo's get the same (on London Transport only I think) as they are deemed to have the conflict resolution skills neccessary, the rest of the civvies don't much to there office based chagrin. :twisted:

Trotsky

Trotsky said:
Its not free travel. The MPS pays about 1.5M quid a year for it. This eased the 1990's recruitment and retention crisis as it allowed people to come live outside London in affordable housing. Its a damn site cheaper than the equivillent payrise to everyone.

You are not on duty when you travel but are expected to place yourself on duty should something happen. Traffic wardens and PCSo's get the same (on London Transport only I think) as they are deemed to have the conflict resolution skills neccessary, the rest of the civvies don't much to there office based chagrin. :twisted:

Trotsky
I have been on trains where this happened, it has been useful. Thanks to those that have.