Free trade - is it still a British ideal?

I can see @stacker1 has got this under control...

There’s a subsection for open markets and a section beneath that for free trade. You can see the ranking for countries by free trade.
I can see the ranking but it appears everything except hong kong has some form of tariff.

We don’t .... take the Apple case... most of the tax due should have been collected in other countries by their national Governments and wasn’t.

Even the Commission stated so
And Ireland's response to being pushed on its tax affiars was to make them even more generous, and even more open to abuse. Tax wasn't collected because Irish tax law provided for it not to be. It's that simple.

That you have the temerity to post such rubbish is astounding.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Whereas Ireland cheats other countries out of tax........there's little difference. Indeed, Ireland should know better given that it's national law. Shameful.
Well...

Could easily argue that London bankers are cheating the eurozone out of taxes, or that part of the city which serves the Eurozone anyway.

And that German car plants are cheating the UK out of workplace taxes, plus GDP through imports, by making them there rather than here.

Course this means the Germans get perfectly honourable and proper 3D engineering jobs, good blokey work for right thinking chaps.

Whilst we get crybaby ******* who think they're owed a fortune for gawd knows what whilst condescending to the entire population about their 'speshulness'.

Last edited:
Could easily argue that London bankers are cheating the eurozone out of taxes, or that part of the city which serves the Eurozone anyway.
Really? Go one then if it's "easy". I'm all ears.

Whilst we get crybaby ******* who think they're owed a fortune for gawd knows what whilst condescending to the entire population about their 'speshulness'.
I challenge you to read this in its entirety:

Ireland as a tax haven - Wikipedia

Seriously, why post such utter rubbish on a subject matter you so clearly don't understand? Ireland is the biggest tax haven in the world, it's that simple. It has extremely aggressive tax structures designed solely to diminish the tax bills of, particularly, US domiciled companies. And I mean off-the-charts aggressive.

Really? Go one then if it's "easy". I'm all ears.

I challenge you to read this in its entirety:

Ireland as a tax haven - Wikipedia

Seriously, why post such utter rubbish on a subject matter you so clearly don't understand? Ireland is the biggest tax haven in the world, it's that simple. It has extremely aggressive tax structures designed solely to diminish the tax bills of, particularly, US domiciled companies. And I mean off-the-charts aggressive.
Not according to the OCED

Not according to the OCED
Have you even bothered reading the link I posted?

Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question, the answer is abundantly clear.

Ireland's tax affairs are so geared towards the extermely aggressive end of the spectrum, that it's a criminal offence for the tax authority to share data with the central bank.

It's Europe's banana republic.

Yes its an utterly ******* stupid sentence that has no resemblance to countries with tariffs, it does make a nice little one liner to trot out every now again though.
In what way is it stupid; it summarises the effect of tariffs, restraint of trade.

I can see the ranking but it appears everything except hong kong has some form of tariff.
If by “free trade” you mean absolutely no tariffs or restrictions on any import of any sort then no country in the world meets that definition. But then you couldn’t say the DPRK was communist either as they do have proto-markets in the country.

If by “free trade” you mean absolutely no tariffs or restrictions on any import of any sort then no country in the world meets that definition. But then you couldn’t say the DPRK was communist either as they do have proto-markets in the country.
Well people on here keep saying how great free trade is, I would have thought quite a few countries would be on board.
Clearly not

In what way is it stupid; it summarises the effect of tariffs, restraint of trade.
No it doesn't. If you dropped rocks in you own harbour you would be blocking ignore the entire world.
Although it now appear that the author was misquoted and she was a bit anti free trade.

Latest Threads