Free trade - is it still a British ideal?

Wal-Mart own Asda. Wheres this cheap chicken?
In Walmart's USA stores. EU Import Tariffs price it out for Asda to sell it - but you know that.

Your facetious posts are making the case for Free Trade

In Walmart's USA stores. EU Import Tariffs price it out for Asda to sell it - but you know that.

Your facetious posts are making the case for Free Trade
Are you going to tell the yanks that? Them being one of the countries with tariffs?

Pointing out that Brexit will allow us greater trade opportunities falls down slightly when you use 2 EU based companies as illustration.
Not at all, it shows domestic & international competition works; UK out of EU can allow more Global competition. UK could even make and sell things that don't meet EU standards and offer them here and to RoW.

I note you added "EU based", well done on learning Countries don't own firms, shareholders do - applies to PLC and Ltd

:clap

Yes its an utterly ******* stupid sentence that has no resemblance to countries with tarriffs, it does make a nice little one liner to trot out every now again though.
Nope, it's not "an utterly ******* stupid sentence" it sums up exactly why import tariffs are a cost and make us poorer through higher prices and less choice.

Open your closed mind.

Isn't that Waterguard bollocks down to some soppy EU ruling? If so, there's another benefit of leaving right there, although saying that the Mod will probably still make us do it as the fact we would have left the EU won't filter down to decision makers for some considerable time.......

Nope, it's not "an utterly ******* stupid sentence" it sums up exactly why import tariffs are a cost and make us poorer through higher prices and less choice.

Open your closed mind.
No it doesnt it a stupid ******* sentence probably parroted by people who think it means something.

Misinterpretation Of Joan Robinson's Quote On Dropping Rocks — The Case For Concerted Action

Where are all these countries in the world with free trade with everyone, there must be some.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep, imported. Dried tobacco leaves are cheap; sin taxes makes processed tobacco expensive.

imo "duty" is correct: Import Duty, Excise Duty, Fuel Duty, Duty Free...
Easy points to make but I'm a little more sophisticated than that...

The tax markup on cigarettes appears to be about 80%, and the last British made cigarettes went around 2015.

Hence given the market for such I'd still expect to see circa £5 billion of imports, yet under official data there is nothing even close.

My point regarding duty, rather than excise relates to the division of finances for such. Sales tax on cigarrettes is clearly an excise, though by calling it duty one wonders whether all of the cash is present. The figure listed would make the entire tobacco market in the UK roughly £11 billion. Which itself would imply that each smoker only went through about 40 cigarrettes per week...

Other figures out there put the market at more than double that.

Which.... Maybe as an ex pack a day smoker I'm biassed... Seems out by at least half.

Yep, imported. Dried tobacco leaves are cheap; sin taxes makes processed tobacco expensive.

imo "duty" is correct: Import Duty, Excise Duty, Fuel Duty, Duty Free...
As Grandpa_Mush (45 years served with HMC&E) used to drill into me; A Duty is charged on the manufacture (excise) or import (customs) of goods, whereas a Tax is charged on actvities (income, sales, profits etc) or assets.

No it doesnt it a stupid ******* sentence probably parroted by people who think it means something.

Misinterpretation Of Joan Robinson's Quote On Dropping Rocks — The Case For Concerted Action
One out of context quote does not invalidate Joan Robinson's assertion that "beggar thy neighbour" import tariffs
are deleterious.

From your link: See page 200

Moving on: ‘beggar my neighbour’ policies - Trade barriers
A country may place a tariff on imports to help promote local domestic industry. Due to tariffs, we will import fewer goods and buy more domestic products. This may help local unemployment, but, it at the expense of the other country’s export sector, who will be able to export less.

Also, tariff barriers lead to a net economic welfare loss (consumers pay higher prices), and it is only a small sector which benefits.

Also, if one country places higher tariffs on imports, it generally leads to retaliation and so there is only a temporary advantage from higher import tariffs.
Finally, your link is factually incorrect "In her famous 1937 article" - GATT & IMF did not exist in 1937

If concertedaction.com can't even get a date right, it's a drivel site. But then site name confirms drivel.

@Stacker : must try harder - F

One out of context quote does not invalidate Joan Robinson's assertion that "beggar thy neighbour" import tariffs
are deleterious.

From your link: See page 200

Moving on: ‘beggar my neighbour’ policies - Trade barriers

Finally, your link is factually incorrect "In her famous 1937 article" - GATT & IMF did not exist in 1937

If concertedaction.com can't even get a date right, it's a drivel site. But then site name confirms drivel.

@Stacker : must try harder - F
It wasn't me incorrectly quoting someone who was against free trade and a bit of a commie.

Where are all these countries that love free trade? There doesnt seem to be many of them.

Easy points to make but I'm a little more sophisticated than that...

The tax markup on cigarettes appears to be about 80%, and the last British made cigarettes went around 2015.

Hence given the market for such I'd still expect to see circa £5 billion of imports, yet under official data there is nothing even close.

My point regarding duty, rather than excise relates to the division of finances for such. Sales tax on cigarrettes is clearly an excise, though by calling it duty one wonders whether all of the cash is present. The figure listed would make the entire tobacco market in the UK roughly £11 billion. Which itself would imply that each smoker only went through about 40 cigarrettes per week...

Other figures out there put the market at more than double that.

Which.... Maybe as an ex pack a day smoker I'm biassed... Seems out by at least half.
"Easy points to make" - nope, a quick overview

"British made cigarettes went around 2015" - Didn't know that, thanks. 2017 End of era for UK-made cigarettes

"Seems out by at least half" - Gov't manipulating figures to meet some arbitrary target for Gov't/WHO/UN ? Surprised - no.

Where are all these countries that love free trade? There doesnt seem to be many of them.
Master Stacker,
Answered before, pay attention.

UK was until ~C20 and became much less so in 1970s when something lied about by MPs happened

Master Stacker,
Answered before, pay attention.

UK was until ~C20 and became much less so in 1970s when something lied about by MPs happened
But it isnt now, especially in a world with mass transportation?

Got any more free trade quotes from communist women?

Latest Threads