Free to whoever wants it: Lesotho

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Jun 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please give a good home to this failed and corrupt state with a population of 1.9 million including 400,000 AIDs orphans. Knackered economy based nowdays mainly on marijuana exports, average life expectancy down to 34 years.

No previous experience of Government required although some sympathy for a constitutional monarchy helpful.

All applications to His Majesty King Letsie III, who would be happy to discuss the enduring benefits of his time spent at Cambridge (Development Studies) and University of London (Agricultural Economics)

Prospective owners should note that this is a landlocked state entirely surrounded by South Africa, who for some strange reason do not want it on their balance sheet.

Anybody hoping to get their stickies on the diamond mining areas should note they are not included in this offer. That is well stitched up already matey and those attempting to do so are likely to meet an extra-judicial sticky end even if you leg it to Switzerland

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/06/lesotho-independence-south-africa

2. Excellent. Close the borders and when the locals have all eaten each other, fill it with Russian and Thai lovelies, and turn the whole country into a holiday resort/shooting range/knocking shop for the discerning gentleman.

3. Yet more proof that africans aren't able to run a country.

The article says that there are more deaths than births.....natural selection taking place.

4. Now that is the best idea I have seen in a long time! :lol:

5. Not true. They are - just very,very badly.

6. Empirical proof of Darwins theory?

7. I can see it now, years down the line: the state has been given more money and support than it really needs, up steps an ambitious 'politician' and a campaign for home rule descends into violence and discriminations. The next thing you know the tattie crop fails...

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Didn't South Africa actually invade Lesotho in the 1990s? Maybe they shouldn't have resisted.

The comments about Africans being able to run a country are a bit off. It's a bit like Americans or Japanese pointing to Greece and saying that it's proof that Europeans can't run a government.

9. Name a successful 'African-led' nation?

10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Glasgow?

11. Botswana doesn't do too bad although it does have it's fair share of problems.

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Botswana and Namibia to name two off the top of my head.

I just find it incredible that people can make such blanket statements about a huge continent. How many Brits would want to be viewed by the standards of the French or Spanish? And I'd rate west Eurpoe as a lot more closely related socially and culturally than the many African countries are to each other.

13. I'd agree about Botswana and Namibia - and SA for that matter. But I could real off a damn site more sub saharan countries that are complete basket cases.

It's a huge continent with a lot of countries, the majority of which have very corrupt and innefective government. So I think the generalisation is valid and warranted.

14. Haw you yer gettin it, Where did I put my Samurai chib and buckie?

15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, agreed, but the examples you've mentioned above prove that the reasons for the failures has got to be something more than just a simplistic 'Africans can't run countries'.