Free Stuff

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Count.Dracule, Nov 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bet you lot thought i was giving stuff away! yeah right!

Actually just wanted to know what the best free anti-spyware etc software is the best to use?

Thanks in advance!

MODs please move if i have posted in the wrong place
  2. AVG or Avast - same engine, different GUI.
  3. Thanks what is GUI, excuse my ignorance!
  4. msr

msr LE

No. Two totally different programs by two separate companies.

Avoid AVG, go with avast
  5. Actually they both use the same anti-virus engine. The only difference is in the GUI. I prefer AVG...
  6. =| Heck, this is not helping :-D

So what is GUI? :crash:
  7. Why the preference for Avast, MSR?

8. What about Microsoft Security Essentials?
  9. Go with Avast, Used by all the IT bods I have and currently do work with.
  10. msr

msr LE

I have 'repaired' that many PCs which have been brought in with malware and AVG has been installed...

Plus anecdotal evidence suggests that Avast requires fewer system resources.

Microsoft Security Essentials is another good program, which has the advantage of being free even for commercial use.

Pongo, just because you repeat something, that doesn't make it true. Please provide the evidence.

11. Cheers MSR. Recently had to get my pc seen to as some malware was ruining it despite having AVG installed. So I'll give Avast a go.

12. msr

msr LE

If you suspect something is not right, I can recommend this free download: Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit just extract the files to a memory stick and double click on start.exe

Also make sure you run Windows update to keep the OS up to date and this: to ensure all your applications are secure.

13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I had AVG, which some malware blasted past and set up shop on my hard drive without so much as a by your leave. might be coincidence, but since changing to Avast no such issues.
  14. msr

msr LE

There's a reason I don't recommend it....