Free stuff to do in London on a weekend

I've posted this in the NAAFI to reach the biggest audience.

I shall be spending a weekend in London in June (possibly the 8th and 9th) with the wife. She will be attending a teaching course during the day on Saturday and Sunday (teachers working on a weekend, who'd have thunk it?), so I will be left to my own devices during the day.

So I'm looking for free or cheap things to do. So far I'm going to watch the changing of the guard at Big Lizzies' house on the Saturday at 11.30 (touristy I know. But I've never seen it), then I'm off to the National Army Museum (unfortunately the Imperial War Museum is closed until July due to renovation work). Not being a London native I'm struggling to think of other things to do. Obviously there are loads of things to do, but I don't want to waste my time making do with seeing something that is "ish", and then find out I missed something good.

Any suggestions, other than getting smashed in a pub?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Museum of London, British Museum, Museum of Docklands.

Z

Zarathustra

Do they have to be free things?

London Aquarium, a bit pricey and can be very busy.
London Dungeons, I enjoyed it but it's not everyones cup of tea.
HMS Belfast, very good and not too expensive
The Natural History Museum.
There are a few Art galleries about if that's your thing
The Tower of London, pricey but good if you've not seen it before, also contains the RRF museum.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have looked on Google, but I was hoping someone may have been able to give advice based on personal experiance.

I'm thinking of popping along to the Natural History Museum. Anyone know if it's any good?
It's good, but what you have to remember is that the tourist season has started in earnest now and that it's a weekend. You could be queuing for around 2 hrs to get in.

Do they have to be free things? No, but cheap would be nice.

London Aquarium, a bit pricey and can be very busy.
Not a big fan of fish, unless it's battered.

London Dungeons, I enjoyed it but it's not everyones cup of tea.
Been there a few years ago. Enjoyed it. Even though I kept being singled out for the interactive parts.

HMS Belfast, very good and not too expensive
I'm considering this one.

The Natural History Museum.
Thinking about it.

There are a few Art galleries about if that's your thing
No thanks. I'm a philistine when it comes to art.

The Tower of London, pricey but good if you've not seen it before, also contains the RRF museum.
Did it a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it.

10twattingletters

Z

Zarathustra

There's also the Guards museum on Birdcage Walk near the Guards Chapel, I think it's free. It's ok, but it's small so if you decide it's pants you'll not have wasted much time, and it's fairly central as well.

Science Musuem its free and ive enjoyably wasted best part of an afternoon in there (but i am a bit of a geek). I also quite enjoy going to Covent Garden and watching the various street performers.

Cheers for that, Joe, I never knew you could book tickets for that!
When I lived in London years ago I took my old man - he was CG 1940-46 and was at Buck House (Coats Mission) but he was never at the Tower. It was October or November, cold, and all the tourists had gone, and VERY atmospheric - you got a real feel for how the place must have been.

I can highly recommend it, but strictly NO photos.

There's also the Guards museum on Birdcage Walk near the Guards Chapel, I think it's free. It's ok, but it's small so if you decide it's pants you'll not have wasted much time, and it's fairly central as well.
My uncle was in the Welsh Guards, so that's tempting.

Science Musuem its free and ive nearly wasted best part of a day in there (but i am a bit of a geek). I also quite enjoy going to Covent Garden and watching the various street performers.
Whenever I'm in London, I always seem to end up in Covent Gardens watching them. I'm trying to be organised now and not falling back on going to places I've been before. Good suggestion though.

Z

Zarathustra

Covent Garden is another one good one, it's also home to the London Transport Mueseum.
The Royal Hospital Chelsea is free to walk around.

For a night out The Comedy Store in Leicester Square is good, though you need to book tickets.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Imperial war Museum is a great place , and you could always go to Harrods and unfold stuff!
The IWM in London is closed until June 2014

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cas N Gaming and Software 16
Count.Dracule Gaming and Software 21
smudge67 The NAAFI Bar 66