Free post for personnel overseas

A worthy cause below! I've started a petition, soon to appear (hopefully)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6932000.stm

Free post to overseas troops plea

Parcels are key to maintaining morale, campaigners say
British soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan should be able to receive postage-free parcels from their families, say campaigners.
Many army families have signed a petition asking the government to pick up the bill for sending post to troops based overseas.

The leader of the Liberal Democrats, Sir Menzies Campbell has also called for the current policy to be changed.

But the government says troops opted for free phone calls instead.

The leader of the campaign, Helen Tyrell, says a free postal service would be a way of supplying soldiers with "essentials".

"It's costing an absolute fortune for a lot of families to be sending stuff out, which are essential goods that they need.

"Give these boys what they want - free post from us, so they can have the essentials that they need, or give them what they need out there so we don't have to spend an absolute fortune sending it out to them."

Troop morale

But Sir Menzies insisted the service should be offered free.

"It is a national disgrace that the brave young men and women who risk their lives for this country are being taken for granted by this government," he said.

"Sometimes it is the small straw that breaks the camel's back. Who would have thought that the Ministry of Defence would charge loved ones exorbitant prices for sending care parcels to those in the field? It is a disgrace."

Defence minister Derek Twigg said: "We go to great lengths to make sure our personnel are well looked after.

"We constantly ask the troops how we can make life a little bit easier, and time and again they say it's more internet and phone access they want. And that's what they are getting.

"Of course families will also want to send parcels, and that is precisely why we make no charge for carrying them through the military postal system. The only cost to families is

It seems a bit on the bus off the bus with this and every tour or campaign we do it changes. My mum was even made to buy blueys off a post office once to send me when I was in Bosnia and different post offices across uK seem to have different views regarding costs of parcels to BFPO numbers.

Of course families will also want to send parcels, and that is precisely why we make no charge for carrying them through the military postal system. The only cost to families is the Royal Mail charge for delivering them to our UK depot."
It seems the Post Office counters are as much to blame as anyone.

I send a lot of stuff thru the post office to do with ebay. I price the stuff up at home via the Post Office website then go down the Post Office to add the stamps and send it. Im often sat there arguing with the bird behind the counter about the clearly defined postage costs for the items.

Maybe these families are not so much getting ripped off by the Government as by the system.
Can we not send parcels to a UK address... like

'British Forces Handling Centre... such n such addy'

then a secondary address written on there too with 'secondary addy' written clearly in the text of that addy, for the Mil posties to forward it on from there to the 'proper BFPO'

or have i got the wrong end of it?

Fatbadge said:
Of course families will also want to send parcels, and that is precisely why we make no charge for carrying them through the military postal system. The only cost to families is the Royal Mail charge for delivering them to our UK depot."

I send a lot of stuff thru the post office to do with ebay. I price the stuff up at home via the Post Office website then go down the Post Office to add the stamps and send it. Im often sat there arguing with the bird behind the counter about the clearly defined postage costs for the items.

Maybe these families are not so much getting ripped off by the Government as by the system.

then a secondary address written on there too with 'secondary addy' written clearly in the text of that addy, for the Mil posties to forward it on from there to the 'proper BFPO'

we do anyway it all goes to Mill Hill first i believe.

The_IRON said:
Fatbadge said:

we do anyway it all goes to Mill Hill first i believe.
Well yeah, but it does addressed to the Theatre BFPO, not a UK addy.

Fatbadge said:
Well yeah, but it does addressed to the Theatre BFPO, not a UK addy.
I know where your coming from and believe its been discussed loads of times before but the Post office would lose all that revenue off the squaddies families and doo gooders so FCUK us. :x

MrPVRd said:
A worthy cause below! I've started a petition, soon to appear (hopefully)
there is already a petition that has many signitures, but needs more.
petitions.pm.gov.uk/parcels43/
Both petitions will be rejected in that case. I guarantee it. They always reject petitions where there are duplicate ones.

:(

Signed. I don't know if fatbadge is right about them binning duplicate petitions, but it is just the sort of underhanded w4nkers trick they would try.
They're all cnuts you know, but best of luck.

Technically Derek Twigg is correct in saying that the charges are supposed to be for the correct postage charge from here in the UK to the BFPO depot. . . .

but then so often the scenario at the counter in the Post Office is either in ignorance or deliberate deceit in getting postage through to the final country of destination:

I have had conversations like this several times:
"Where is it going?"
"Its BFPO, so to London please"
"No, which country is it going to?"
"Well Country X eventually, but only the bit to London is through the Royal Mail"
"No it isn't London, it has to be paid all the way to Country X"

Like The Iron, also found different charges from different individual Post Offices for the same size and weight of package.

Whilst it would be nice to have parcels free all the way, I rather suspect that parcels that the Royal Mail didnt get any fees for would be the first to get damaged, go late, get lost etc.

My dear old mum campaigned for free parcels before. Response from MP was that it would cost X millions to impliment. She rightly pointed out that this was X millions that familes and loved ones were currently paying out to send parcels to the boys (and girls). As i understand it then this point actually got through a bit and as a result was that they brought in free parcels for a limited time leading up to christmas. Or so she told me. Maybe it was a bit of mum-walting.
But yes, a permenent free-post is needed. Or at very least a few free-post coupons issued (sure at least one per month wouldnt break the budget!) that the guys can give to relatives to use.

I have used a company called boxhappy.com to send stuff out to Iraq and Afghanistan, they send it via mill hill, never had a problem, always gets there faster than sodding royal mail, is way cheaper postage, one small parcel to afghanistan even with its bfpo number they wanted a tenner, ive just sent a box 4 times as big for £2 odd via box happy.

Only trouble is, you have to buy what they sell, however never had anyone complain!! and soldier mag rates it to.

However our king Govt said as the soldiers asked for free phone calls they cant have free post as well, as well they may thing the Govt gives a toss about them

I sent some reading material to the chaps in the AAC but phoned Mill Hill beforehand to ask if I could drop the box in as I was in London at the time. They said that I couldn't as BFPO got a cut of the postage.

Cost me £16 to send five magazines

hi guys teresa from parcels43 here,i know many of you will have signed but i urge you to keep signing and forward link to as many as possible. sorry for any offence caused in what my son calls my media frenzie,no offence intended.media were more interested in the fact families send food to their loved ones and its all got a bit out of hand.my son is happy to eat rations though does ask me to send other foods too as do loads of other families.free post granted untill after christmas and idications are it will continue after ,i don't intend to stop campaigning as worried there could be a u turn on this.trying to get R/M do do a postal frank at minute (parcels43 supporting our troops) hoping they will do exact but they may not be able too.once again thanks to all those who have signed and continue to sign.my lad is home in less than a month now but parcels43 goes on ....thanks teresa

Latest Threads