Free Parcel Service Extended

Just heard on the radio the free service to operational theatres has been extended for as long as needed, woowoo!

Now if only the idiots in the local post office actually knew about it so I wouldn't have to argue with them every single day...

Published Date: 12 November 2007
Source: Press Association

A free parcel service for the families of British troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan is to be extended, the Royal Mail has announced.
The service was launched in September after complaints from families and friends of the troops and was due to run out next month.

The Royal Mail said that, under a new deal agreed with the Ministry of Defence, the service will continue after Christmas and is expected to last as long as British troops are serving in the two danger zones.

Defence Secretary Des Browne said: "The introduction of free post in the summer has been a real success with both families and service personnel, and I am just delighted that we have been able to come to an agreement with Royal Mail that will ensure the continuation of this valued service.

"I am very grateful to Royal Mail for their support for our troops."

Royal Mail chief executive Adam Crozier said: "I'm very proud that Royal Mail will continue to play a key role in making it as easy as possible for families and friends to send gifts and home comforts to their loved ones in the frontline.

"The messages we've received from men and women at the front tell us how much they value parcels from home - and we're delighted to work with the BFPO to ensure a free service continues."

Over the past few weeks around 100,000 parcels a week have been sent free of postage to around 14,000 frontline personnel, providing them with gifts, non-perishable food items and home comforts.

Under the new deal, the cost of continuing the free frontline parcel scheme will be shared jointly by Royal Mail and the MoD's British Forces Post Office.

Relatives and friends can take parcels weighing up to 2kg (4.4lb) to any Post Office branch for onward posting to troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as to Royal Navy ships in the region.

Grrrrreat !
How can I/we get the message over to Mr & Mrs Patel in the local Post Office? Same problem as negotiating Scottish bank notes. So much easier to give in, after all we've more or less handed over the country to outsiders as it is. Yes, I am bitter, not I am not racist.

Apparently it's not obvious on the software, if they put in say 792 it brings up the price, there's like a button hidden down on the bottom that's been updated...causes me no end of grief with the mongs.

rrrrreat !
How can I/we get the message over to Mr & Mrs Patel in the local Post Office? Same problem as negotiating Scottish bank notes. So much easier to give in, after all we've more or less handed over the country to outsiders as it is. Yes, I am bitter, not I am not racist.
What an absolutely shi*t post of total irrelevance.

Totally unsurprised though, as you are a total ranting choob , who really would be better off with crayons and paper under careful supervision than actually let loose on the interweb.

Mr. and Mrs. Patel are probably more in tune with this than you give them credit for. Certainly the Mr. and Mrs. Patel who were wearing their poppies in honour of their Grandfather in a sub post office hereabouts last week.

I'm sure if I showed them a Scottish bank note or indeed a Euro note, they'd give me change in English money.

Start packing lsquared. One by one I'll cleanse this forum of the bigoted , ranting , drooling clowns trying to infest this means, who add the square root of f**k all , but aid our critics handsomely.

HERE
on the Royal Mail Website - hope it helps :)
Royal Mail said:
Free mail to UK Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan FAQs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who can send free items? Who can I send free items to? Why is the free service not available to commercial firms and support groups? Why is the free service restricted to named individuals? How can I access the free service? What type of mail item can I send free? Are there goods or items that can’t be sent? Is there anything I will be charged for? How many items can I send for free? Why is the service limited to only certain BFPO addresses? Who can send free items?

The service is available for the friends and family of service personnel or entitled Ministry of Defence deployed civilians serving in the Iraq and Afghanistan regions. Items from commercial firms and support groups will not be accepted.

Who can I send free items to?
Free items will only be accepted if addressed to named personnel or titled roles at specific BFPO addresses present in, or directly supporting, the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Why is the free service not available to commercial firms and support groups?
The scheme is specifically designed to provide support to the families and friends of servicemen and women in these theatres and is not a replacement for existing BFPO services.

Why is the free service restricted to named individuals?
While Royal Mail recognises the desire of individuals to support troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, the scheme is specifically intended to support the families and friends of servicemen and women. Well wishers remain able to send items to these theatres via the normal BFPO services including use of the E-bluey and BFPO’s bulletin board.

How can I access the free service?
You can access the free service at Post Office™ counters only. At the Post Office™, a special label will be applied to the mail item to indicate that postage is not required. Items posted in pillar boxes may not be identified as part of the scheme, and may therefore be delayed.

What type of mail item can I send free?
You can send letters or packets by first class post, up to 2kg in weight, and with the following maximum dimensions:

Length + Depth + Width = 900mm with greatest single dimension not greater than 600mm.

Are there goods or items that can’t be sent?
Customers are urged to refer to and meet the standard BFPO guidelines on prohibited and restricted contents. Specific notice should be made of the prohibition on aerosols, and also of the practical limitations of perishable items which should be avoided. For more information see the full BFPO guidelines.

Is there anything I will be charged for?
You won’t be charged for sending an item via normal first class post, but you will be charged if you want to send items via the BFPO Special Delivery service.

How many items can I send for free?
While there is no specific limit on the number of items that can be posted by an individual, families and friends are asked to remember that logistical capacity to these units is limited.

Why is the service limited to only certain BFPO addresses?
The list of eligible BFPO addresses has been agreed with Ministry of Defence as those that are present in, or directly supporting operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

© Royal Mail Group Ltd 2007. All rights reserved.

Can anyone give me a name so that residents in the village I live in can send parcels to Iraq and Afghanistan? We did it last year through a name who then distributed them out. Can't seem to get one this year. A number of villages got back nice thank you letters.

Skynet said:
Can anyone give me a name so that residents in the village I live in can send parcels to Iraq and Afghanistan? We did it last year through a name who then distributed them out. Can't seem to get one this year. A number of villages got back nice thank you letters.

The way I got a name for a girl to post a parcel was to get in touch with the RBL who were very helpful and rang me back with an address

Im in the process of getting some names, my mates lad is over in Afghan, so should get some addys, as long as you dont mind sending them to the premier Cavalry Regt :)

scarletto said:
Im in the process of getting some names, my mates lad is over in Afghan, so should get some addys, as long as you dont mind sending them to the premier Cavalry Regt :)
That is very kind if you could get some other names from other units that would help share the good will around. Can you PM with them?

Yes will do, however its more than likely only the one Regiment at the mo.

PartTimePongo said:
rrrrreat !
What an absolutely shi*t post of total irrelevance.

Totally unsurprised though, as you are a total ranting choob , who really would be better off with crayons and paper under careful supervision than actually let loose on the interweb.

Mr. and Mrs. Patel are probably more in tune with this than you give them credit for. Certainly the Mr. and Mrs. Patel who were wearing their poppies in honour of their Grandfather in a sub post office hereabouts last week.

I'm sure if I showed them a Scottish bank note or indeed a Euro note, they'd give me change in English money.

Start packing lsquared. One by one I'll cleanse this forum of the bigoted , ranting , drooling clowns trying to infest this means, who add the square root of f**k all , but aid our critics handsomely.
PTP,

Right behind you - keep up the good work. Mrs R

PartTimePongo said:
Start packing lsquared. One by one I'll cleanse this forum of the bigoted , ranting , drooling clowns trying to infest this means, who add the square root of f**k all .
So your going to take membership from around 30,000 down to about 4 then? (sorry, 5 if you include Sven)