Free Parcel rejected: 0.192g (0.0067oz) "overweight"

If I was sending a parcel to someone and I thought it was near the limit I would just split it down to 2 and put a bit more stuff in.I too however think it was petty of the Post office to send it back,but if it's free whats the problem with splitting it in half,and by the way our Asian post master was a soldier

RHODESIAN said:
If I was sending a parcel to someone and I thought it was near the limit I would just split it down to 2 and put a bit more stuff in.I too however think it was petty of the Post office to send it back,but if it's free whats the problem with splitting it in half,and by the way our Asian post master was a soldier
Didnt realise Mr Singh was an ex soldier, doesnt change my view though he is a top bloke civvy or ex soldier anyway.

Forastero said:
Thread edited for spectacular stupidity and breaking site rules. Apologies to those whose posts I deleted who robustly responded (quite rightly) to the individual concerned but I wanted to remove all traces of his comments.
Thank you. The silly thoughtless pointless comment he made didn't even make sense anyway, enough to make your average dyslexic look like a scholar. Nightrained - a trip to your library's history books and a couple jar's of nescafe for you methinks.

To be fair to him though, he is on R and R at the mo and I wasn't the nicest bloke on Earth on leave from my first tour either. Not an excuse, he was being a knob but - under the circumstances - perhaps less of a knob than at first glance.

kian said:
What is it with these post offices ,You go to some and they will do everything to help you. Other post offices that all they ever do is moan and complain .
This is bound to be at least partially a cultural thing. Don't forget that like so much of British Industry, RM has been privatised from a state-run agency and it brings with it generations of chippy jobsworthiness.

Nightrained said:
Dragstrip said:
Nightrained said:
Is it free to send packages BACK from theatres?
No. Normal postage rates apply. Unless they are addressed to a family member of friend in another theatre (ie Iraq to Afghan or Afghan to Iraq).
That's.. A little strange. So, you can send a free parcel to Afghan for someone fighting for the country. Yet, when that soldier wants to send somthing back, he has to pay? If anything it should be the other way around. Surely it could be free both ways.
This is intuitively a good point. However, the background is that there is nothing 'free' about the free pkt service; somebody is paying for it (in reality the costs are split between public (ie either the treasury or the MOD) and as profit losses to RM and Parcel Force). RM and PF are commercial organisations, why should they take any more of a hit in support of deployed troops than the rest of industry? The answer of course is; when there is a tangible benifit to them. In this case, RM and PF rightly get a bit of a PR coup, and good for them.

The basic idea, whilst being intuitively attractive, that pkts should be free from Theatres to UK somewhat contradicts the notion that troops are under pressure and require welfare packets from home (ie, it begs the question that; if deployed troops have got so much kit that they need support in sending it home, why might they need a free pkt service for welfare in the first place?).

thedobo said:
If as he says he is, the father is an ex-soldier, then surely he should know better than to pose for newspaper photos with the parcel, showing all his sons details alongside photo of same!!!!!

Persec issues here???
I can vouch for the father being an ex-soldier, he used to instruct me at Goole cadets, plus being from Goole I can say that I've had parcels sent from through the main Post Office in town which were over 2KG on several occasions.

There are those on here, not many I grant you, who voted for the spiv Bliar and, as a result for his repellent successor.

You reap what you sow.

PS: Don't bother to ask what I mean by this post, because if it is not obvious, I would not trouble your minder if I were you!