Free Office Software

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by VerminWA, Dec 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Microsoft Office is now £149. It's quite a lot considering you can get the nearly the same product for free! Open Office is free to download and install.

I have been using it for a while now and I'm very happy with it. It looks pretty much the same as office, most of the functions are the same, you can save your files in MS office format, it is compatible with all major office suites and it even seems to run faster.

So you do the maths, £149 or free? No wonder Bill Gates is one of the richest men in the world!

Download it HERE for free!

P.S. When you discover how good it is feel free to thank me with sums of cash!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  2. On the other hand DII users can get Office Professional under the Home User programme for £17. Theres a similar offer on McAfee too, £10 a year I believe. I'll try to remeber to get the website address at work tomorrow !
  3. Been using it for a while now as well and haven't had any issues.
    Being opensource it will always be one step ahead of MSO and like you say your not filling Microsofts coffers.
    Rumour is, with Openoffice and Mozilla we may finally see the down fall of the fat cat Microsoft org, these opensource products are big in Asia and which country is the up and coming economic powerhouse as well as having the largest population?
  4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Open Office is based on the older 5.2 version of StarOffice.

A superb set of programmes and equal to about £1300 worth of Microsoft products.
  5. And then there is CD Alley :D
  6. Whats CD Alley???
  7. It's that wonderful shopping centre just outside the gates of Banja Luka with the fit birds (well, after three months...).

It's also that wonderful shopping centre outside almost all the other (multinational) camps across the globe.

It's also more of a collection of tents, but that's beside the point :).
  8. I`ve been using Open office since it started.....Great program..and it is incidentally,complatible with all Microsof office products i.e. It can read and write in their Format. The Company I work for (6000 people worldwide) also uses it as standard.
    Another Tip - There is a whole Suite of FREE graphic programs available at - - Website builders, photo and Gif Animators, Desktop publishing and so forth. Excellent stuff and really professional. Holds up to Photoshop & Co no problem. All you have to do is register - doesn´t cost a Penny! -
  9. Thank you so much! Was planning on biting the bullet and buying MS Office, but I just downloaded Open Office & it's fab! More beer tokens for Christmas now... 8)
  10. If anyone is actually going to buy an Officesuite type programme, purchase Lotus Smartsuite. It is far superior to MS Office, and always has been. It can usually be found in the £10 - £15 range as a CD only. Real not pirated.
    Look for it on eBay as well.

11. Hmmm. I have sent docs using OO to people who have been unable to access/open with their MS equivalent - its a conspiracy I tells ya!

can I get a rebate? ;)

12. Hmmm. I have sent docs using OO to people who have been unable to access/open with their MS equivalent - its a conspiracy I tells ya!

can I get a rebate? ;)

13. Wasn't this closed down in Spring '04 because the Canadian 1* in charge had issues with personnel supporting local black-market economy - by buying CDs and paying for 'other services' provided by the said '... fit birds ...'?
  14. That's a MSO problem, they claim to be good at opening and working with othr formats, but they are probably worse at it, even between other MSO versions

Well , not my words, but I'm sure if you ask nice Mr Gates will give you a refund :lol:
  15. Broadband plus emule and never pay anyone again