Free London Underground travel

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by STILTS, Oct 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Tory conference: Boris Johnson pledges loyalty to Cameron

Scroll down; The London mayor was greeted with a standing ovation as he made his first appearance at the Tory conference.

He hailed the London Olympics and hit back at claims he is out to get the better of the prime minister this week.

He later announced that members of the armed forces in uniform will be given free London Underground travel.

STILTS

2. That's handy. Not.

Not even remotely useful. How often, as a squaddie, did you use the underground in uniform.

I certainly never did.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I expect that they will travel in uniform, and then change into plain clothes once they are at work!

4. We will ALL have to travel in uniform, to save the MOD the travel expenses!
    Watch how quickly a new "justification box" appears in JPA if you try to claim undergound travel.

R3

• Like Like x 1
  5. I hear that HM Treasury are calculating how much more tax we have to pay for this 'benefit'.

Good on Boris though. I need to travel into MOD on Friday. I might just try it...

6. I'd almost be willing to pay the 120 GBP to get to London, travel on the tube for free and return home, just to say I'd enjoyed the benefit.
    But then having a mobile phone picture appear on Waltenkommando saying some Walt Fekker festooned with the accoutrements of bravery and heightened homo-eroticism was traveling on the tube and who knows/ would like to out him...
    On second thoughts... **** it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thankfully there is an exemption from wearing uniform for all members of the 49 PARA PAGODA team when on duty.

( Except, as Reb has already mentioned, the black coveralls with silver "tactical identity" insignia on the collar and cuffs)

8. Am I the only person who thinks Boris wants to intimidate would-be criminals/terrorists by sticking uniformed military personnel on trains as a diversion from the fact that there's no fuzz left to put on them?

Cynical? Me?

• Like Like x 2
  9. So thats the RAF dipping out then?

And being serious, this 'benefit' is about getting uniformed bodies into into tube network as unpaid security guards.

10. I never felt comfortable being in uniform off duty and certainly never travelled in uniform, that said I have never felt comfortable in London. A better idea would be free travel on the underground on production of your ID Card that would keep the Walt factor down as well.

If as has been suggested it is a cynical ploy to just have pseudo security, it's a pretty clever idea at very little or no cost.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I shall be on the Circle Line today, travelling as a Halvidar in the Indian Camel Corps.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If we're lucky then this'll be applied in the same manner as the 'free travel when in uniform' during the Olympics. i.e. free travel as long as you can show your MOD 90.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shame this can't be applied to the rail network in general- I might then be able to go home without facing the £576 a month it currently costs me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Exactly I beasted the free travel during the Olympics in civvies flashing my MOD90 only once I got asked why I wasn't in uniform explaining "I'm not superman I don't go into phone boxes and come out in uniform" he was happy with that.