Free lipreading course in London for ex-forces

Go-for-it

Swinger
Please circulate this.

Deaf as a plank, cant hear your partner, missing jokes, everyone on tv mumbling like drunks? Yep, welcome to the world of hearing loss and deafness!

City Lit College, Holborn, London is doing a free lipreading course for ex-services with hearing loss.

Its rare that someone thinks of this, anyone with hearing loss will tell you its incredibly isolating.

Contact Lorraine Braggins

lorraine.braggins@citylit.ac.uk

1-10 Keeley Street, London WC2B 4BA

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Any pics of Lorraine Braggins, just I can recognize her when we meet ;)

I

Ian807

Do they do foreign languages? I can just see it when we get back. "You've been on that course so you've no excuses". Pass. Good facility though, lip-reading courses used to be free but became expensive - over £200 - a few years ago.

How long is the course?

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Are short-sighted folks allowed to get up really close?

MsG

Go-for-it

Swinger
Update.

Been doing the course and skills are steadily rising. Pic below is the speech banana, It shows where sounds and word fall in the bd level the banana is the 'average user area'. Not surprisingly most big bang hearing loss people cannot hear anything from 40 to 0 with patches of loss in the 80-90 range. This all depends what you did and of course how long you did it for.

More interestingly, you can get a reduced price travel, Disabled Persons Rail Card, for you and A.N. Other (your hearing dog) on the rail as deafness counts as a disability. Cost is about £50 for three years with a third off most tickets and some Ferry companies.

Go on, get deaf!

Attachments

• hearing range.jpg
    hearing range.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 22

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I saw the thread title and clicked on it immediately.

I was honestly convinced it said "Free lipspreading course in London for ex-forces"

What, no comments about it being intended for those from a certain regiment...