Free Lances in Kabul "private jail" mystery

What the fck?

But as they released the men, and five other captives who were also in the house, officers realised they had stumbled upon a private jail where Afghan prisoners were being locked up and tortured.

Yesterday, Afghan security forces and the US military admitted they appeared to have uncovered a freelance counterterrorism mission by bounty hunters, who may have been lured to the country by the prospect of earning multimillion-dollar rewards
EH? But it gets worse....
In 2000, he issued a writ against DreamWorks, claiming its 1997 film The Peacemaker, which starred George Clooney and Nicole Kidman, was based on his story.

The film is about a maverick American colonel, played by Clooney, who tracks down a Russian nuclear smuggling team.
He claimed damages of $130m. The case is ongoing.
I'm the real George Clooney. Thrap, thrap, thrap....spurt! Mind you, he does appear to have some sense.
He also threatened to punch Geraldo Rivera, the controversial Fox News commentator, who, Mr Idema claimed, had messed up the operations of the Northern Alliance by irresponsible reporting.
Good drills! Seriously, this is so weird it's beyond weird. I think I'd be quite relieved if it turned out the Afghan cops had blundered into some kind of wildarsed CIA job rather than this being some bunch of cowboys running their own war.

Escape-from-PPRuNe said:
Yesterday, Afghan security forces and the US military admitted they appeared to have uncovered a freelance counterterrorism mission by bounty hunters, who may have been lured to the country by the prospect of earning multimillion-dollar rewards
Or a covert(ish) US govt sponsored-but-deniable attempt to achieve what the US forces have signally failed to do in Afghanistan...

It's just got quite a bit weirder. This chap is apparently an old QM who ran a business in civil life making assault vests, but also claims to be a "counterterrorism expert" as well as that he used to take his dog on operational para drops! Seems to be a darling of US civilian gun nuts, too, and a failed movie producer. Hardly the supersecret spook operator you'd choose...more like "Walter finally gets what he wants" time...

Latest Threads