Free higher eduction for forces vets!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by codbutt, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like the government has actually had a GOOD IDEA! I think this is excellent.

(The Guardian) :eek:
    Armed forces personnel who have served for more than six years are to be given free university or college education at the end of their military careers. The government will pay tuition fees for soldiers, sailors and aircrew wishing to go on to GCSEs, A-levels, university degrees and other forms of education.

The scheme will be unveiled on Thursday when the defence secretary, Des Browne, announces the contents of his service personnel command paper, dealing with issues including welfare, housing, healthcare, school places and childcare.

Last month, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, the chief of defence staff, said that Britain's armed forces and their families should be given preferential access to schools, hospitals and dental surgeries as a reward for the sacrifices they make.
  2. I would like to have seen a promise of a large increase in the resettlement grant, I know it is being doubled sometime soon but the cost of the courses is also increasing so we don't end up any better off.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Will it be retrospective, in which case I want to do the Gamekeepers course at Plumpton College?
  4. Is that like EdUcation but with a bit missing?
  5. Yup. You are now entitled to free education in what used to be free before this bunch of chuckleheads took charge. Of course after 6 years (especially if you are married with kids) going into full time education without a bursary is just not going to happen. The emptiest gesture I've ever seen.
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

7. The devil is in the detail.

They might propose something along the lines of free education if served 6 years or more, but not if you have used SLCs and/or ELCs, and only up to Bachelor's level.

That would make this measure more likely to be cost-neutral and therefore more palatable to the govt, but they can still make a grand gesture.