Free downloads - no harm done, or theft?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by TheIronDuke, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Is theft, like shoplifting

21 vote(s)
  2. Is not harming anyone

35 vote(s)
  3. Yo Momma

11 vote(s)
  4. Marry me, lovely Iron Duke

9 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Since a possibly interesting debate on another forum is descending into handbags and 'Yo Momma' I throw the question open to the learned members of NAFFI bar.

To be clear, we are talking about downloading films, movies, games from sites like Pirate Bay. Not legit free stuff.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. If one works in the industry concerned it makes one grind one's teeth, but there's no stopping anyone doing it if they're so inclined.
  3. All property is theft so as said, damned if you do damned if you don't. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. What profit? I would never purchase the film so they would never have made any money from me, I don't share the film with anyone else, I watch it once or maybe twice and then delete it from my PC. What exactly have I stolen?
  5. I wouldn't steal a car, but i'd sure as hell 'clone' one if I had the technology and could do it passively whilst having a wank.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The way it seems to be now is you are fucked if you are caught as an uploader or seeder (utorrent) and possibly if you are caught downloading, but as fast as they bring down the sites, others seem to spring up and i guess it is hard to police them, from the news i have seen in the past it seems that people only get fucked when ceetain brands like Mettalica get a proper bag on at people not paying for their music etc.
    Woman guilty of illegally downloading music, fined $1.9 million
  7. i think its a bit like speeding, its against the law but as everyone does it (because there werent ways to stop it initially) no one thinks its that big a deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. As stated in a thread I started a while ago, I "researched" torrent downloads for photoshop elements 9. I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware, unless you have a static IP address it's difficult to trace the download.

Also, if you download a legit trial version then obtain a genuine license key then who's to know?

I do pay for music though, I have no problem passing on £7 for what I like.

9. A bloke here in work downloads films, and copies them onto discs all the time. He doesn't share them, he keeps them for his own viewing.
    He's on a waiting list for a new hip operation, and he's getting prepared for when he's laid up in hospital and back at his house.
    He said about two weeks ago that he had over 700 films in his living room.
    I'm sure Blockbuster call him occasionally to borrow films off of him.

I know if I attempted it, that with my luck, I'd be caught first time, and done to the full extent of the law.
  10. An IP address proves sod all, static or otherwise. If you're so inclined there is software out there which masks your true IP, you can also use third party hosting sites. Plus there's a little matter of wi-fi networks which are insecure & it's already been established in the High Court that the a/c holder can't be held responsible for an insecure network.
  11. Mug

Mug Clanker

Anyone who does a tax dodge to another country is crying out to have their 'art' nicked!
  12. Whereas over here in the fatherland the opposite is the case. If you don't secure your network you are partly responsible for what is done over it.

Court case a few months ago upheld a bloke getting charged 100euros by one of these firms that chase you for copyright infingement.
  13. UK Law has it's limitations & P2P sites, whether Public or Private are always one step ahead of the game, ie: it's only recently been lifted you could rip a cd to your mp3 legally so just goes to show how far behind the UK is on this matter, many sites move their servers abroad to Countries who are more tolerant,

BBC - Newsbeat - Laws relaxed on copying music and film content

ISP's as we all know are under regular pressure to tackle this issue, however without losing consumer's to rivals it will always be a battle, the Movie Industry IMO has a lot to answer for, paying huge salaries has that domino affect,

The Music Industry is just as much at fault, smaller artist's will continue to struggle due to the piracy issue

The end consumer due to the current financial climate will continue, as long as they can get away with it proceed to illegally download whatever they can, the gaming downloading is probably the worst offenders, I agree it's not right irrespective of Movie, Mp3 or Game but until the attitude changes from Consumers & the Industry alike very little will change..