Free database software for Mac?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Charm_City, Mar 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently become a Mac user - essentially my Windows laptop became a complete box of frogs and to shut me up the beloved gave me her Workbook Pro.

All fine and dandy, got all my stuff transferred across and with Windows for Mac can use all my old files - except for Access. I've loaded Open Office and transferred the data from my old Access database as a spreadsheet.

The question is - before I start trying to master the Open Office database software is there anything better around for free? By 'better' I mean easier to design forms and generate reports. More concerned about the user experience than what the electrons are doing in the background.

2. Ta - the bugger is that after 7 years I has Access tweaked to look and do exactly what I wanted. The 'Genius Bar' did try to push me towards Bento but I recoiled at paying. I suppose I might have a look at using SQL and forego the cosmetics.

3. The only one i have heard of is Bento- not exactly free but supposedly very well thought out.

slightly off- I presume you have made use of the Dii offer, MS office mac 11 for £8.95?
  4. The beloved provided Office for Mac with the laptop - but it don't do Access. My days of using DII are long gone (huzah!!!).
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I've been a Mac user since 1986 or so. I don't know of any real free database software for Mac's. I have Bento 4.x which is the latest version. It IMO, isn't a relational database in the true sense of the word. That said there are lot's of free 'templates' that cover many typical database type things. If you find one that fits your needs you could import your data to it.

Of course, in the new Mac's using OS 10.6.7 you could purchase one of the Windows emulators and run Windows on your Mac and use MS Access and your currant database.

I always used Helix Rade a Mac Relational database. It was expensive to start with and now will only run on the latest Mac OS in viewing only. One must run it on the old Mac OS 10.4.x to design, edit, etc. your data. They keep saying they will get to a version that will work on a version that works on the latest Mac OS. Of course, when they do it will no doubt for more $$$. I really like it though.

I have used a Windows emulator on Mac OS 10.4 to run MS Access on my older Mac and it worked just fine. That emulator is no longer supported and it only worked with an older version of Windows and Access. It still works on my older Macs. (I still have a 17' iMac G-4 and a 12" Notebook G-4 running both OS 9.x and 10.4.) My Helix data bases run just fine on them as does the Windows emulator.)

BTW: Bento doesn't run on those older Macs.

I don't see any way you are going to find a free Mac database. The simplest thing you could do (If you use MS Office for Mac) is place your data in Excel.

My up-to-date Macs are a 27" iMac 2.8 i7 and a Macbook Air 11" both running Bento 4.x

Here's a link to Helix Rade just for fun.:

QSA ToolWorks Product Information

Also here is a link to a 30 Day free trial of Bento.:

Bento Trial Download Request Form