Free courses at the DELC

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Dontdreamit, Mar 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I haven't really found a dedicated thread on personal development so hopefully this can be a sticky.

If you can get yourself along to your local Defence Electronic Learning Centre where you can get (for free)

COMP TIA equivalent quals

Free language training from Rosetta Stone

and quite a few others.

It's all free and you can do it from any internet based pc.
  2. Flight

Flight LE Book Reviewer

What are the eligibility criteria? Regular / TA / Deployed etc? Theres mention of MOD core 1 but feck knows what that means.
  3. All serving members of HM Forces are eligible.

The DELC will even loan you a laptop to study on with the courseware pre loaded.
  4. I've tried registering numerous times by email and fax, and had no response. Would you reccomend going into the nearest one and registering in person?
  6. If you're after e-learning and you cannot get into a walk-in DELC you will be better off using the Defence Learning Portal (DLP) through DII (or whatever you're on at work) and/or the Internet at home.

All online DELC courseware migrated over to the DLP in late 2007. If you want DLP contact details, PM me and I'll forward them to you.

There's some interesting stuff in there, from 'Advanced Data Management in Excel 2003' to 'VITAL HQ Staff Course' - from '5.56mm Rifle Trainer' to 'Potential Artificer Mathematics' (with quite literally 100's of courses in between.)

If language is your thing there's Rosetta Stone Language courses are available as well. As mentioned earlier - all FREE

Go on, you know you want to.
  7. There are loads of useless courses on there however there are also some very handy ones as well (ITIL & Prince2 Foundation spring to mind and your local DELC will tell you where you can sit the exams for about £100 a pop).
  8. Useless to you maybe - not useless to all.
  9. Again, I've tried registering on the DLP, but never get any reply. I've tried calling the helpline number, but it wont connect. I'll see if I can get into Albemarle Barracks through the week to register in person.
  10. Although a percentage of the courses are pretty useful, the DLP SPOC are a different kettle of fish altogether. Chocolate fireguard anyone?
  11. RSS (DCCIS) Blandford does the 4 day Foundation in Service Management course, which runs every few months. They are also having a testing centre installed shortly, so people will be able to do the ITIL v.3 Foundation exam on site.
  12. Is that course available to RN bods as well PD considering it is DCCIS and we've got DCCIS located at HMS Collingwood as well?

I do know that you sit the exams in the Education Centre/DELC in HMNB Portsmouth.

Don't-I didn't say all the courses were useless however a lot of them are. Some of the courses are WOEFULLY out of date and even the DELC staff will admit that.

A quick check in my section (with over 20 RN Senior Rates and Officers) revealed that I was the only service person who was aware they had a DLP account (everyone in HM Forces has one). That is quite shocking-people are not being made aware of the facility.

It is good to see that there is pre-course material for LET/POET's in the RN (Engineering Technicians) but that could be vastly improved on.

An example would be that we make a big song and dance in HM Forces about the need for IT Security following some incidents that were exposed throughout the national media yet the IT Security courses desperately need updating. How difficult is it really???
  13. Flight

Flight LE Book Reviewer

I registered for a DLP account a few weeks back on the TAC computer, havn't even had the email from them yet.

Not sure how long it's meant to take but might pop in rather than waiting.
  14. You won't get an email-I tried it with my personal email address and also with my MOD one and had no joy with either.
  15. Flight

Flight LE Book Reviewer

Email came through last week. I phoned the helpdesk who put in another request with my personal email address as getting down to the tac just to check email was a pain.

Initial application came through last week, prolly just over a months wait all told. Helpdesk said they'd had problems with virusses..

I'm now learning Arabic through rosetta stone. Buggeration is it hard... :)