Free Arrse!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by carlbcfc, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Yes, I want old Arrse back!

69 vote(s)
  2. No, I am a mong and I like it

53 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have not even looked to see if this has been done before, because to be honest I cannot bear to look at these crap colours for too long, and I probably could not find it anyway.

I hate this new site so far. Do you?
  2. Other than the feng shui [sp?] colour palette , it isn't much different than the old ARRSE as to content and topics and such..reformatted for those who can afford the new monitors with the 'widescreen' which, for luddites like me, means a lot of lateral scrolling to read some threads and to get a good look at Meridian's latest tottie offerings. I can live with that, I suppose.. bugs the sh!t out of me, though, that the ' quick navigation ' feature at page bottom is actually more of a pain and slower than the old way.. going to get arthritis in the joints having to go through so many more' clicks' to find stuff' quickly '..

what can one do? shout B*LL*X! and keep on fighting the system with more beers...
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Cherrio O carlbcfc - it's been nice knowing you.

FFS it is just different - if you can't handle a wee change in your life like this, who will you survive?

The only thing I don't like is that when one is trying to be sarcastic and cutting, the new site colours just make it look like I am offering a cup of camomile tea!! :(

Anyway, I am sorry you can't handle the change. Can I get your medals?
  4. I will survive, but I feckin hate the colours. Also the loss of the 'last 50 post' feature.
  5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Have you considered clicking on the button marked 'Last 50+'? I first saw the new site on my iPhone and thought it looked pump compared to the previous site (on which I was a long time lurker) but now I've had a chance to see it on my PC I'm very impressed.
  6. Same arguments came up the last time the place had a spring clean, there's some good points and some bad points but once the Boss gets to grip with it (and we get used to the new toys) I'm sure it'll be an overall improvement.

While were on about going all french with the thing, can we go back 3 upgrades please.... :)
  7. I am still having a few teething problems with the new layout and at my age change is always bad even if it makes things easier! Although I will eventually get used to it and maybe even prefer it.
    I hate the colour though it's too "crab" like.
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I tell you - no-one has had it as bad as me. Anyway, for those still in doubt about the wisdom of the move, I would suggest going to RumRation and trying to:

Move quickly from one forum to another (quick navigation, bottom right)
    Register with a common-ish username
    Getting a new password because you forgot yours
    Searching for something / someone
    Bookmarking threads
    Getting emailed when a new PM arrives
    uploading attachments to forum posts
    Posting a blog entry
    Searching for content inside a given thread......

then come back and give it all a go on here and tell me if you think we've stepped backwards.

On the other hand it is good to look at the RR design (thank you, thank you) and I do think it's cleaner than the standard VBulletin one we're using now. The work we did in getting the right links on the top right and left of the forum pages is also good, and *some* parts of the menu eventually came out OK after some real false starts.

Both of those things I mention were not some in-built feature of 'the old ARRSE' but modifications that we did. The old site took a lot of work to get it into a reasonable shape. This one will also get tweaked as we go (and I will change the colours!). What I think we have is an outstanding step forward and start point for ARRSE IV (the was the old ARRSE, the older ARRSE and the really old ARRSE before this. Roughly 2002,2003,2004.... 2010)
  9. @ carlbcfc

You missed out a poll choice.

"No I am not a mong, neither am I a whinging dinosaur. The site is faster to load, has more personal preferential settings, is easy to read once you trim the sig blocks and I can live with it."
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I don't understand the outrage, arrse has been here for 8 years and the colours have changed, can someone explain the problem?
  11. I made a complete mong of myself in various fora, I am rather disappointed in the replys.
  12. I'm a member on another forum that uses the same software as the new arrse. It takes a little getting used to but once you've learnt where everything is, you'll think, why the fuck did I whinge! It's a change for the best. I personally like it and think it looks good. ;)
  13. I have to login and again to sort ma arrse oot, lost ma avatar, lost 3 million pages from the Sapper Threads, WTF is goin on?

Are the ConDems doin the 40% cut on Arrsse noo ?
  14. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's fine once you actually get in and use it.
    Only thing I miss is the my posts, I know there is something similiar but it just actually shows your posts not if someone has replied to whatever piece of cutting wit it was that I posted.
  15. The colours have changed? I hadn't noticed.