Fred Scappaticci (Stake Knife) arrested over murders

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
According to todays papers that is not the view taken by the families of the soldiers killed at Hyde Park.
I understand the "Sauce for the Goose" approach and good luck to them, but really - what good will it do? Other than for the lawyers, obviously.

Would you have something to do with the legal profession, @Kinch ?

I understand the "Sauce for the Goose" approach and good luck to them, but really - what good will it do? Other than for the lawyers, obviously.

I studied law for three years but my degree and postgrad qualifications are in other fields and I am in any event, retired.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

You do realise a lot of this stuff is done pro bono
eg for the Omagh families, when my old college pal worked unpaid for months

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You do realise a lot of this stuff is done pro bono
eg for the Omagh families, when my old college pal worked unpaid for months
Granted; some is, but not all. How much of the Bloody Sunday Inquiries' gravy train legal work was pro bono?

And that's beside the point really. Whose opinions will be changed, how will peace in NI be advanced, and what justice will be achieved by picking off the old scabs once again? My prediction is between nil and very little.

Northern Ireland has form for weaponising history. This is just another way of doing that.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you always move the goalposts so quickly in debate ?
Only when I agree with someone. Or did you expect me to go full Paisley and shout "NO SURRENDER!" ? :-D
If I read a truthful statement and agree with it to an extent, I prefer say so.

My last post is supporting my contention in this post:
And what would be the point? If as you agree any result either in court or inquiry will not change the protagonists' position one iota, why waste time and vast amounts of money on rehashing the troubles?

I agree the thrust of your main point.
Painful as it would be for many, the best approach is to draw a line and move on.
Statute of Limitations to protect old troops - yes.
Truth commission - get real.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The overwhelming argument against any sort of Truth and Reconciliation Commission a la South Africa is that it would present a legal and moral equivalence between the security forces and the various footpads and hooligans from the armed elements of, respectively, Republicanism and Loyalism. It would implicitly characterise the Troubles as a war, rather than a long-drawn out attempted insurgency with strongly reactive elements and it would, at a stroke, legitimise pretty much anything the informal actors various did, while removing legitimacy from the hundreds of thousands of folk who upheld the Common Law.

I am always a little sceptical when the state produces bizzare charges against individuals that they are investigating on other matters.
It does have a hint of desperation about it.

TamH70

MIA
Worked with Al Capone!
Yeah, and the sick murderous person died in prison, his mind rotted away by syphilis. Good drills, real life Treasury Agent who took him down.

Hopefully Scapawatsit will follow his example.

Latest Threads