Fred Dibnah climbing without any H and S BS

I remember Fred Dibnah as a kid, saw these TV shows today and what a sky god the man was. he must have been 45 plus and still could do this as a days work.

No H and S no fancy climbing gear. Amazed at his ....

Well string is better and cheaper than metal brackets. Just HTF did he do this .

Well you can see how he did it.

Amazing

Last edited:
What a massive coincidence. I was only watching these on Friday & thinking what a loon he was was. Especially the third one down when he’s walking about on those loose planks.

A real mans man.

You forgot to mention his phenomenal head for heights but then anybody who watched these clips you have posted or who has watched Fred Dibnah in the past will know all about that.

I loved watching him do stuff using wood ladders and ropes and accessing heights that you wouldn’t find me at unless I had been drugged and dragged up there in an unconscious state.

His other stuff like setting up a steam driven workshop in his garden, digging a very deep pit in in the garden and acquiring a steam driven engine and driving it all over the place were extremely interesting as well.

I miss him!

I remember Fred Dibnah as a kid, saw these TV shows today and want a sky god the man was. he must have been 45 plus and still could do this as a days work.

No H and S no fancy climbing gear. Amazed at his ....

Well string is better and cheaper than metal brackets. Just HTF did he do this .

Well you can see how he did it.

Amazing
Eee, did ya like that?

But then men fell off ladders or scaffolding regularly and they'd just get another to replace him; none of that inquest, negligence or compensation nonsense. Eeeeeh, the good old day, it twere a reet laff. Scaffolding was timber lashed together.

My Mother used to tell a story about some builder that fell from scaffolding. The paddies were having hysterics, my father climbed down to see if he was alive and he just put a tarpaulin over the body. My Father never mentioned that incident.

But then men fell off ladders or scaffolding regularly and they'd just get another to replace him; none of that inquest, negligence or compensation nonsense. Eeeeeh, the good old day, it twere a reet laff. Scaffolding was timber lashed together.

My Mother used to tell a story about some builder that fell from scaffolding. The paddies were having hysterics, my father climbed down to see if he was alive and he just put a tarpaulin over the body. My Father never mentioned that incident.
This isn’t a dig at the OP who might have been being a bit nostalgic about Fred Dibnah but that’s why modern Health and Safety legislation isn’t bullshit.

I still admire Dibnah’s programs though. They were from an age I can relate to and were also great TV viewing!

This isn’t a dig at the OP who might have been being a bit nostalgic about Fred Dibnah but that’s why modern Health and Safety legislation isn’t bullshit.

I still admire Dibnah’s programs though. They were from an age I can relate to and were also great TV viewing!

The ladders up the straight was crazy enough, but a lot of the chimneys had rings around the top, so at some point, he must have been swinging out, just on his arms ?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
H&S for all we bemoan it, certainly saved a lot of lives and the sad thing is, many of the lives lost on jobs like scaffolding, steeplejacking, etc, were caused purely by everyone trying to get the cheapest price which meant doing the work the quickest with the least safety precautions which slowed it all down.

Still though, mad **** was Fred.

I was positively twitching my arrse when he was sat astride those ladders at the top.

H&S for all we bemoan it, certainly saved a lot of lives and the sad thing is, many of the lives lost on jobs like scaffolding, steeplejacking, etc, were caused purely by everyone trying to get the cheapest price which meant doing the work the quickest with the least safety precautions which slowed it all down.

Still though, mad **** was Fred.

I was positively twitching my arrse when he was sat astride those ladders at the top.

Still going on now though, check out the chinese scaffolding......... bamboo FFS

You ever see the Choggie bamboo scaffolders in the far east. First time I saw it I experienced a WTF moment but, it works very well.

The ladders up the straight was crazy enough, but a lot of the chimneys had rings around the top, so at some point, he must have been swinging out, just on his arms ?
I would have said he was using super strength Velcro attached to his clothing except for the fact Velcro most likely wasn’t in existence when he was filmed climbing at those points where he had to lean at a quite steep backwards angle as he was climbing up a ladder past an overhanging ledge at 200 feet in the air!

I wasn't having a dig at the OP or Dibnah; I also greatly admired him, enjoyed his programmes and his book. I'm just commenting that he, and his working methods, were a product of a different era where workers (and soldiers) were consumables, little regard was given H&S and the few men who reached pensionable age rarely did so without major injury or industrial illnesses. The human cost of Victorian-era industry or working practices isn't something that is depicted in museums.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You ever see the Choggie bamboo scaffolders in the far east. First time I saw it I experienced a WTF moment but, it works very well.

There's an excellent fight scene in God of Gamblers with Chow Yun Fat where they have a fight across the bamboo scaffold. Amazing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lert Films, Music and All Things Artsy 41
Rawhide The NAAFI Bar 41
boney_m Current Affairs, News and Analysis 12

Latest Threads