Frankie Boyle Does It Again

This made me spit coffee out over my keyboard this morning!

Sky News said:
Comedian Frankie Boyle has been rebuked by the mother of a Down's syndrome child as he tore into the disability on the latest leg of his tour.

Boyle's caustic humour has earned him national acclaim

Sharon Smith, whose five-year-old daughter Tanzie has Down's, became upset as the comic made joke after joke lampooning the disorder.

Mock The Week star Boyle picked fun at Down's syndrome haircuts, labelled those with the disability "Mongoloids" and said they were destined for an early death.

He then spotted Mrs Smith squirming in the front row at Reading's Hexagon Theatre and told her off for talking during his set.

I expected dry, nasty, crude humour, yes, but unimaginative humour poking fun at the stereotype of people with Down's syndrome was not something that I expected.

Sharon Smith

Smith, 37, replied that she had personal experience of the disability and was upset.

Recounting the incident on her personal blog, she said: "He tried to laugh it off: 'Ahh, but it's all true isn't it? Everything I have said is true, isn't it?' to which I replied 'No, it wasn't'.

"He then went on to say that it was the most excrutiating moment of his career but then tried to claw the humour back by saying we had paid to come and see him and what should we expect.

"To which I replied that I understood that and that it was my personal problem. He then said it was the last tour ever and that he didnt give a f*ck."

Mrs Smith described her daughter Tanzie as 'beautiful, feisty and determined'

She added: "I wanted the ground to swallow me up. I have never felt so small, so stupid, so emotional and so pathetic.

"I expected dry, nasty, crude humour, yes, but unimaginative humour poking fun at the stereotype of people with Down's syndrome was not something that I expected."

Mrs Smith, from Hook, near Basingstoke, earned messages of support after she made her feelings public.

Boyle's caustic humour has earned him national acclaim but regularly sparked controversy.

He recently quit BBC2's Mock The Week amid complaints of censorship and headed out on a national tour.

In November, Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington complained to the Beeb after the Scottish comic joked she resembled "someone who's looking at themselves in the back of a spoon".

"Rebecca Adlington complained to the Beeb after the Scottish comic joked she resembled "someone who's looking at themselves in the back of a spoon".

That's genius!

blonde_guy said:
This made me spit coffee out over my keyboard this morning!

Sky News said:
Comedian Frankie Boyle has been rebuked by the mother of a Down's syndrome child as he tore into the disability on the latest leg of his tour.

Boyle's caustic humour has earned him national acclaim

Sharon Smith, whose five-year-old daughter Tanzie has Down's, became upset as the comic made joke after joke lampooning the disorder.

Mock The Week star Boyle picked fun at Down's syndrome haircuts, labelled those with the disability "Mongoloids" and said they were destined for an early death.

errr, pot and kettle???

Yes it's unfortunate, but people who are different in anyway will always have comedians taking the p1ss. Whether you're black, white, straight, gay, a doctor, a copper, a soldier or a mlaarr, someone will rip you in their show.

Slightly OT, but why would you call a child with Downs Tanzie? Or was she christened Tamsin and that's how she says her own name?

Oh look, a taxi.

smudge67 said:
"Rebecca Adlington complained to the Beeb after the Scottish comic joked she resembled "someone who's looking at themselves in the back of a spoon".

That's genius!
Typical slack Sky reporting - no suggestion at the time that Miss Adlington ever complained herself - 75 viewers complained to the BBC over that and Boyle's follow-up comment that since someone with her looks had managed to pull a really good-looking boyfriend, she must be pure filth in bed.

Apologies for pedantry in the Naafi...

i went to see Jimmy Carr and the people behind me got up and left because he started on a rather 'sensitive' subject

warrior8234mkIIIA2 said:
i went to see Jimmy Carr and the people behind me got up and left because he started on a rather 'sensitive' subject
Not because he was shit?

While the nature of Frankie Boyle's act is well known,He does seem to be on a self destruct mode recently.His Auto biography certainly left me wondering if all was how it should be regarding his opinion of himself.

Freedom of Speech. All well and good unless you say something someone doesn't want you to.

To be fair if the dirty scutter hadn't fcuked her brother then she wouldn't have squeezed out a retarded spazza child........what goes around comes around

warrior8234mkIIIA2 said:
Magdovus said:
warrior8234mkIIIA2 said:
Not because he was shit?
Well i thought he was funny, cant beat a good dig at gay people
I've only ever heard him do one good joke- I can't be doing with most of his stuff:

Jeremy: Then after Cambridge, it was off to work for an oil company.
Jimmy: Yes, Shell.
Jeremy: Middle Management?
Jimmy: Yeah, middle-- I was in marketing, for oil.
Jeremy: Okay...
Jimmy: ...which is technically the easiest job on the planet. Do you have a fuel gauge in your car?
Jeremy: Yeah.
Jimmy: Yeah, you know when that goes into the red?
Jeremy: Yeah?
Jimmy: Buy some petrol. Job done

I like Frankie Boyle and, like most comics, he can be the first to laugh at himself. He likens himself to either one of the Proclaimers or the Bear from Bo' Selecta. He's actually got a fair point.

Edited for bad punctuation.

Hibs_Bez said:
I like Frankie Boyle and, like most comics, he can be the first to laugh at himself. He likens himself to either one of the Proclaimers or the Bear from Bo' Selecta. He's actually got a fair point.

Edited for bad punctuation.
He's funny.

Hence why the woman the thread is about went to see him. She even liked his particular brand of mecahb (Spelling?)/Dark humour. Not only did she like it so much she paid his wages by buying a ticket she made it possible by being one of his many fans and attended the show... Then saw her arrse when it was directed at her (Which it wasn't).

Had he slated people in wheel chairs, religious types or foreign people she'd have laughed along without a care in the world for all the people in the audience/country/world who may have been offended.

How very two faced of her. However sadly how very common this kind of attitude is becoming.

Sadly, like most things, comedy has also taken the brunt of the PC bollocks we all suffer.

Comedy or humour, is not just that any more, it now has to be taken as something else.

If you go to see a comedian or "funnyman" then expect to hear things you wouldnt hear in the street, more so when its someone well known for not giving a fook.

If you dont want to hear it, dont go, its that easy, just as turning the TV over/off when something comes on you dont like.

Mongs are funny, so why take offence?

Just as ginogs, gays, fat women who wear tracksuits, trannies, or storemen, all get the pi55 ripped out of them for being what they are.

Censorship begins at home, turn it over or off, but dont go out to see it if you might be offended.

I for one, long for the day when speaking your mind is considered a right, and not something you can only do at home.

Gren said:
Sadly, like most things, comedy has also taken the brunt of the PC bollocks we all suffer.

Comedy or humour, is not just that any more, it now has to be taken as something else.

If you go to see a comedian or "funnyman" then expect to hear things you wouldnt hear in the street, more so when its someone well known for not giving a fook.

If you dont want to hear it, dont go, its that easy, just as turning the TV over/off when something comes on you dont like.

Mongs are funny, so why take offence?

Just as ginogs, gays, fat women who wear tracksuits, trannies, or storemen, all get the pi55 ripped out of them for being what they are.

Censorship begins at home, turn it over or off, but dont go out to see it if you might be offended.

I for one, long for the day when speaking your mind is considered a right, and not something you can only do at home.
I remember when teachers and parents used to teach their kids that sticks and stones broke bones etc etc.

Now its sticks and stones may break your bones but words can generate a national outrage and get you a little bit of compo.