Francois Hollande falls into 'trap' to look like 'dwarf' alongside Coldstream Guards

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by singha61, Jul 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Telegraph
    Francois Hollande has been ridiculed in France for allowing himself to look like a "dwarf" alongside the Coldstream Guards – the battalion that won battle honours at Waterloo and then occupied Paris.
    During an official visit to London on Tuesday, the French president inspected a Guard of Honour from the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards at the Foreign Office.

He then appeared in photographs alongside Major General George Norton, who looked around two feet taller than the Gallic head of state.

Comments alongside the image on a website of pictures taken by AFP, France's national news agency, suggested Hollande had fallen into a "trap" made to make him look ridiculous.

"Poor France," wrote Jean-Marc Rameau, from Paris, while Dmitri Kovaley mocked Mr Hollande, who is 5ft 7 ins, with the words "Dwarfs rule the world".

Francois Hollande falls into 'trap' to look like 'dwarf' alongside Coldstream Guards - Telegraph
  2. Indeed, the wearing of Bearskin caps originates from 1815 and the victory at Waterloo - the British Guards aped their beaten French counterparts, the Imperial Guard, who wore tall bearskin hats to appear more tall and threatening on the field of battle. And, if I'm not mistaken, the plume worn by the Lilywhites is red because at some stage in their history they stuck their plumes in French blood.
  3. Good story. Thought it was the Fusiliers with the blood of the French?
  4. I think there was enough for every fucker to have a go.
    • Like Like x 7
  5. about half that army must've mopped up after battles using their hackles as i've heard the same thing about the black watch
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Typical bloody frogs. We roll out the red carpet for their nasty little leader, a whole load of soldiers who've got better things to do with their time turn out in their best frocks and all they do is bloody bleat about how it made him look stupid. Not as stupid as they made their great grandfathers look - running away screaming for their mamans, with the slowest getting a Coldstream bayonet in the back.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. As true blue British, I will happily bash the French; however is this what passes for journalism nowadays? Reheated comments from tinterweb, dressed up with some sort of wikkipedia history?

Fair play to M Hollande, at least he did some time in their Army.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Bouillabaisse

He didn't have a choice - he was conscripted.
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Northumberland Fusiliers had a red and white hackle if I recall? The white bit was because if you had any sense you would leg it out the back door.

I thought I was the only one laughing like a drain when the pics came on the TV last night. Well done to all chaps concerned. Take the day off.
  10. Don't forget The Brandywine Flash, although this history doesn't say it was dipped in American blood as I was taught as a nipper...
  11. They should just be glad it wasn't Sarkozy - he's 2" shorter than Hollande!
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bloodthirsty lot, our ancestors. These days doing that wouldn't start a regimental tradition, it would get you arrested and charged with war crimes.
  13. Remember the tall guy that was the self appointed leader of the free French in WWII and went on to become President of France? I met his minder once, massive bloke but his English was none to good. When I asked him what his job was he replied he was De Gaulle keeper.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

15. Wouldn't have looked such a tool if he had been in uniform....Sarkozy knew that. napoleon.jpg