France - vehicle use & Breathalysers

Discussion in 'Travel' started by happybonzo, Feb 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a "heads up": If you're travelling in France this year. From July you will be required to carry a breathalyser kit in your vehicle along with fluorescent vests, warning triangle etc

You need to buy them in France as the UK ones register at a higher limits than the French levels. They will cost around €1 to €2.
    The date has been put forward until November to give the shops time to get the kits in stock.

2. Why? What's the point?
  3. I believe the idea is that if you've been drinking that you should test yourself before you drive off. Then if the Police stop you and breathalyse you and it's a positive you will have no excuse.
    The French have quite a bad record for motorists offing themselves with drink being one of the major contributing factors: With even Autoroute Cafes selling booze it is going to take a major re-education about drink driving in France.
  4. Political correctness gone mad........
    Every french lorry driver has a carafe of wine or two at lunchtime .
    Where's the harm in it ?
  5. I think that it´s a 30€ fine if you haven´t got one in the car!
  6. Emsav will put us all straight on this, soon as she sees the Thread.
  7. The original post had a bad link - now corrected

8. I thought it was probably more to do with their mentallity of 'if the speed limit is 80, then I'll do 80 no matter what the road conditions are!'

Add to that a bottle of vino for lunch and Robert's your father's brother.

Another naff idea just to let the feds fine you for something when they pull you over. Hope that they will be pre-breath testing themselves before going out to do the same for others.
  9. 11€ if your French 30€ if youre driving a German registered car.Got pulled for speeding in France the bloke that overtook me(French registered just kept going),wer´nt funny!
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

A fair amount of wine gets quaffed at family get togethers on a Saturday and Sunday lunchtime/afternoon. Spot checks on main roads are fairly common, plod are always very polite and professional.
    These things are Euro 1.50 next to the supermarket till, I think I'll get one and throw it in the glovebox rather than start a revolution over the invasion of my rights.......
  11. Surely you're responsible for being sober when driving whether you have a little gadget or not?
  12. Stand by for being offered these units for 25 quid or so on the cross channel ferry.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. A,

Can you confiirm what motorcyclists are required to carry when driving in France?
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If you are driving, then normal rules apply, there is no prejudice if you also happen to have a category A entry on your license :)

When riding, I've only been ever asked to show my driving license in reality. I'll check the latest law and get back to you.
  15. A nymphomaniac on the back would be a good start. D'ya think it should become EU law? :)