France v Italy - Handbags at Dawn

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
That's interesting for future EU relations, not to mention the defence implications of breaking away from one of the partners in the Franco-German military collaboration.

I particularly liked: "Italy and France's relationship is rooted in history and cannot be called into question by events," he said.

Is that the history of French invasion followed by Italian invasion?

That's interesting for future EU relations, not to mention the defence implications of breaking away from one of the partners in the Franco-German military collaboration.

I particularly liked: "Italy and France's relationship is rooted in history and cannot be called into question by events," he said.

. . . which, allegedly, was the cause of not a little friction in 1943 Italy, between French Expeditionary Corps and Italian troops after the Italians changed sides.

Allegedly.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Well, they did both work for the Germans, in the last bid for European Unification.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
The Italians also broke their agreement with the Germans in the first great unpleasantness and ended up fighting against them. How long are diplomatic memories, I wonder?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If it ends up in powder puffs at 50 paces, will that be counted as a Civil War?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah, the great unity of the sacred European state - without which we are ,of course, all DOOOOMED *

[ Cue Private Fraser ]

* If you listen to the Islington chatterati who effortlessly dominate the terrestrial media

** Which in reality is a loose agglomeration of eternally conflicting interests

*** For the imminent collapse of which we will unquestionably be blamed by our Yurpean neighbours.

No, it's the history of French surrender followed by Italian surrender.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Does this mean many of the ex-pats, who have been slagging off Britain since the referendum, will start asking for British troops to protect them in their paradise?

On a slightly more serious note, it appears that the EU is starting to fray at the edges, if not unravel. There was an article in the Times this morning about Poland kicking off about migrants and being in disagreement with their former PM - a certain Mr Tusk, who is at odds with the current Polish government.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
No France surrendered first the last time, it's Italy's turn to surrender first.
'At a dinner with Churchill, Ribbentrop had said that, in a future war with Britain, Germany would have the Italians on its side. Churchill responded “That’s only fair – we had them last time.” '

'At a dinner with Churchill, Ribbentrop had said that, in a future war with Britain, Germany would have the Italians on its side. Churchill responded “That’s only fair – we had them last time.” '
The Italians have better food and decent wine.

I vote we have the Italians this time.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes, France did surrender first the last time. With Italy switching sides mid war, I thought they lost thier place in the surrender rotation leading to a surrender off for the next conflict.
Maybe they should fight for the right to surrender first :cool:

Latest Threads