France Under Attack. First the World and now France. The Advance of English...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kromeriz, May 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. English is the de facto international language of science and business.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. As long as we can revert to Latin when we need a pithy phrase
    • Like Like x 16
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

france has had laws and restrictions limiting the amount of english adopted into its official language for decades so its no surprise.
  4. English is the lingua franca of Europe, much to the fury of the French.
    • Like Like x 12
  5. Grumblegrunt

well they did try and make it theirs several times, as did the germans so they only have them selves to blame. if they'd left us alone to rule the world instead of kicking us with their jealous boots.
  6. Good.

Can we get rid of Welsh whilst we're at it?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Grumblegrunt

some would argue that the world language is american
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I do believe that the Chinese will be having something to say - in Chinese - about this in the not too distant future...

Having been born in Germany, I was a bit teed off when I was told that as I was in Class 4 of 14 classes, only classes 1,2,3 could study German... I could study French.

Lamentably, I have no pithy comments to add in French...

Current Affairs chaps. My angle is that the use of English in the EU would save squillions. A great economic benefit to the EU.

• Like Like x 1
  9. They would be wrong. The septics send out their peace corps who after a few years vanish... job jobbed in some circumstances. Only Brits have the staying power to cope with the perilous overseas and vagabond foreigners.

Trust me, I.m a Brit... who has wobbled on occassion but with the help of people like EOD Matt, Cold Collation, History Man and many others, has promoted Britain through the use of our language. Albeit knicked from countless other countries...
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Perhaps not:

Chinese Students Struggle for Returns on Education in U.S. - China Real Time Report - WSJ

11. I see what you did there, very clever
  12. And what is taught in Chinese schools?

Yup, Engrish.
  13. Who would they talk to?

English is the international language, that's not going to change in the foreseeable future. Of course, if you can speak English, Spanish and Mandarin you'll be able to speak to pretty much everyone in the world.
  14. And how many languages are taught in our schools? And who decides this? Why the Mandarins of course...
    • Like Like x 3