France Under Attack. First the World and now France. The Advance of English...

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
france has had laws and restrictions limiting the amount of english adopted into its official language for decades so its no surprise.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
well they did try and make it theirs several times, as did the germans so they only have them selves to blame. if they'd left us alone to rule the world instead of kicking us with their jealous boots.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
some would argue that the world language is american

English is the de facto international language of science and business.
I do believe that the Chinese will be having something to say - in Chinese - about this in the not too distant future...

Having been born in Germany, I was a bit teed off when I was told that as I was in Class 4 of 14 classes, only classes 1,2,3 could study German... I could study French.

Lamentably, I have no pithy comments to add in French...

Current Affairs chaps. My angle is that the use of English in the EU would save squillions. A great economic benefit to the EU.

Thoughts?

some would argue that the world language is american
They would be wrong. The septics send out their peace corps who after a few years vanish... job jobbed in some circumstances. Only Brits have the staying power to cope with the perilous overseas and vagabond foreigners.

Trust me, I.m a Brit... who has wobbled on occassion but with the help of people like EOD Matt, Cold Collation, History Man and many others, has promoted Britain through the use of our language. Albeit knicked from countless other countries...

I do believe that the Chinese will be having something to say - in Chinese - about this in the not too distant future...

Having been born in Germany, I was a bit teed off when I was told that as I was in Class 4 of 14 classes, only classes 1,2,3 could study German... I could study French.

Lamentably, I have no pithy comments to add in French...

Current Affairs chaps. My angle is that the use of English in the EU would save squillions. A great economic benefit to the EU.

Thoughts?
Perhaps not:

Chinese Students Struggle for Returns on Education in U.S. - China Real Time Report - WSJ

There were 194,029 Chinese students studying in the U.S. in the 2011-2012 academic year, representing the largest group of international students from a single country and accounting for 25.4% of all foreign students studying in the U.S. The figure also marks a 23% increase from just the year before and a 207% increase from a decade ago, according to the Institute of International Education.

Who would they talk to?

English is the international language, that's not going to change in the foreseeable future. Of course, if you can speak English, Spanish and Mandarin you'll be able to speak to pretty much everyone in the world.

Who would they talk to?

English is the international language, that's not going to change in the foreseeable future. Of course, if you can speak English, Spanish and Mandarin you'll be able to speak to pretty much everyone in the world.
English gained supremacy through economics and pure political might. Come to Ostrava. Chinese language courses are full... Economic might...

English gained supremacy through economics and pure political might. Come to Ostrava. Chinese language courses are full... Economic might...
See my post above. With over 180 000 students at US universities and that number rising, the Chinese (or at least the educated and/or wealthy ones) must definitely be making an effort to learn English. I also know a number of people teaching English in China.

EDITED TO ADD:

A quick web search finds dozens of companies looking for people to teach English in China.

They simply have not learned if you shout loudly and slowly at foreigners they'll get the gist, it's what built the empire.

They simply have not learned if you shoot accurately and slowly at foreigners they'll get the gist, it's what built the empire.
Fixed, gratuitement