France - UK sharing their defence?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Good call. After all, if the French capitulate again, we might have to sink our own boat in a French harbour!

Personally, I think it's too much of a strategic risk...

BBC News - Liam Fox rejects sharing aircraft carriers with France
3 Sep 2010 ... Defence Secretary Liam Fox has ruled out the UK sharing aircraft carriers with France as part of closer defence co-operation and efforts to ...

But why on earth is it even contemplated?
Presumably because we wont have any to share soon.

Personally, I think it's too much of a strategic risk...

3 Sep 2010 ... Defence Secretary Liam Fox has ruled out the UK sharing aircraft carriers with France as part of closer defence co-operation and efforts to ...

But why on earth is it even contemplated?
It was never contemplated anywhere bar the media....What you probably will share with Le Frog's is AAR aircraft and other bit's and bob's.

Best get used to it.

It was never contemplated anywhere bar the media....What you probably will share with Le Frog's is AAR aircraft and other bit's and bob's.

Best get used to it.
This

Just because the Telegraph posts some unfounded bollocks it doesn't make it true (And this goes for the entire froum- for some reason you all seem to love the weekly shite that the Telegraph posts on defence matters)

This topic was done to death a few weeks ago.....

It was but then HMG cut the shit ot of your military and now it's almost not worth it....
Its Her Majesties Government in name only and as you are very much aware, it's self serving politicians who have dragged us to this point as far as i recall the British people have never been asked if they want part of an EU superstate

The Independent (yes, I know) had an article in it this morning about us and the French sharing a nuclear deterrent... That takes things to a whole new level.

The thrust was essentially joint SSBN patrols.

Britain and France may share nuclear deterrent - World Politics, World - The Independent

I'm cool with the idea of the Phroggies defending us with their nukes.

They have a very robust and quite aggressive attitude to the use of said nukes and have already declared that any terrorist attack with WMD's on La France will result in the country that hosted or supplied said terrorists aquireing some self illuminating glass surfaced parking lots.

I wonder what the actual savings would be of having the boats alongside a bit more. As a complete guess, I'd reckon them to be insignificant compared to the overall running (never mind purchase) costs?

Independent said:
But they also point out that, in practical terms, a nuclear attack on Britain by a foreign aggressor would also be an attack on France (and vice versa). If British cities were devastated by a nuclear attack, most of northern France would be rendered uninhabitable.
Bollocks. Frankly. Unless it's the USA or Russia and they're using significant fractions of their arsenal.

Good call. After all, if the French capitulate again, we might have to sink our own boat in a French harbour!
Too be fair to the French, the reason they were sunk was because they refused to capitulate. Still in the spirit of Nelson an all that!:)

Alsacien

MIA
I'm cool with the idea of the Phroggies defending us with their nukes.

They have a very robust and quite aggressive attitude to the use of said nukes and have already declared that any terrorist attack with WMD's on La France will result in the country that hosted or supplied said terrorists aquireing some self illuminating glass surfaced parking lots.
....as long as nobody attacks at lunchtime we should be fine.
Appuyez le poussoir rouge Nick! Ce n'est pas possible à l'heure actuelle Dave, je doit finir mon soufflé!

Maybe we can be in charge of it between Wednesday lunchtime at Saturday afternoon?

A Spam's musings

One remembers that the last time the UK and France shared defense plans things didn't go so well... the summer of 1940 I believe. This American truly hopes that in these day of austerity budgets HM Government won't forget their first and last duty, TO DEFEND THE FRICKIN REALM!!!! I also shudder to think what would happen if Trident is scrapped, as it would probably mean than the UK could face losing its permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

A Spam's musings

One remembers that the last time the UK and France shared defense plans things didn't go so well... the summer of 1940 I believe. This American truly hopes that in these day of austerity budgets HM Government won't forget their first and last duty, TO DEFEND THE FRICKIN REALM!!!! I also shudder to think what would happen if Trident is scrapped, as it would probably mean than the UK could face losing its permanent seat on the UN Security Council.
The last time the UK and France did warfighting with no one else involved was Suez......Someone else bollocked that up.

I’ve done two exchange exercises with the French Army, albeit a few years ago, I found them to be fantastic hosts, extremely cooperative and very professional and we didn’t have any problems working with them at all.

Most memorably we were given small bottles of wine in our packed lunches and the cookhouse had free soft drinks, wine and beer on tap. :)