France - UK sharing their defence?

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by kj1000, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Personally, I think it's too much of a strategic risk...

BBC News - Liam Fox rejects sharing aircraft carriers with France
    3 Sep 2010 ... Defence Secretary Liam Fox has ruled out the UK sharing aircraft carriers with France as part of closer defence co-operation and efforts to ...
    BBC News - Liam Fox rejects sharing aircraft carriers with France

But why on earth is it even contemplated?
  2. Its been the aim all along since we were admitted into the EUSSR
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Good call. After all, if the French capitulate again, we might have to sink our own boat in a French harbour!
  4. Presumably because we wont have any to share soon.
  5. It was never contemplated anywhere bar the media....What you probably will share with Le Frog's is AAR aircraft and other bit's and bob's.

Best get used to it.
  6. It was but then HMG cut the shit ot of your military and now it's almost not worth it....
  7. This

Just because the Telegraph posts some unfounded bollocks it doesn't make it true (And this goes for the entire froum- for some reason you all seem to love the weekly shite that the Telegraph posts on defence matters)
  8. This topic was done to death a few weeks ago.....
  9. Its Her Majesties Government in name only and as you are very much aware, it's self serving politicians who have dragged us to this point as far as i recall the British people have never been asked if they want part of an EU superstate
  10. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

11. I'm cool with the idea of the Phroggies defending us with their nukes.

They have a very robust and quite aggressive attitude to the use of said nukes and have already declared that any terrorist attack with WMD's on La France will result in the country that hosted or supplied said terrorists aquireing some self illuminating glass surfaced parking lots.
  12. I wonder what the actual savings would be of having the boats alongside a bit more. As a complete guess, I'd reckon them to be insignificant compared to the overall running (never mind purchase) costs?

Bollocks. Frankly. Unless it's the USA or Russia and they're using significant fractions of their arsenal.
  13. Too be fair to the French, the reason they were sunk was because they refused to capitulate. Still in the spirit of Nelson an all that!:)
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator long as nobody attacks at lunchtime we should be fine.
    Appuyez le poussoir rouge Nick! Ce n'est pas possible à l'heure actuelle Dave, je doit finir mon soufflé!

Maybe we can be in charge of it between Wednesday lunchtime at Saturday afternoon?
  15. I am not sharing their white flag, they can wave it by their self