• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

France to send reinforcements to Afghanistan

According to our information, the Defense Ministry and the General Staff of Armed Forces are preparing to send new reinforcements to Afghanistan.

They would form a brigade of three (or four) battalions. This will mean the arrival of additional troops, the exact strength of which remains unknown.

Very enthusiastic at the idea, the Americans already speak of the "French Brigade" which should move into eastern Afghanistan, from the valley of the Kapissa - where reinforcements have already arrived in the summer of 2008. This brigade will be commanded by a french general officer and would be given a wider area than that given to the French military today.

More in French at:

http://secretdefense.blogs.liberation.fr/defense/2008/12/exclusif-la-fra.html#more

That was expected and often presented as "a gift" to the forthcoming POTUS. In military terms, several hundred more combat troops should reinforced the FR units already on the ground with a view to creating a more coherent TF of brigade size.

And the French would very much like to exact some suitable revenge for the tragedy of earlier this year no doubt.

Is this the first step of the long called for NATO surge?

If only the Germans could be persuaded to get their troops into the fight!

D@mmit, I'm going to have to dig out a differant country now, any suggestions whos a good NATO slacker-country to be prejudiced against?

Bradstyley said:
D@mmit, I'm going to have to dig out a differant country now, any suggestions whos a good NATO slacker-country to be prejudiced against?

...er Iceland, after all our glorious leader used Anti-Terror laws to freeze their financial assets in the UK.

PartTimePongo said:
Is this the first step of the long called for NATO surge?
No, I believe the reinforcements are in fact 3 battalions of cooks to improve the standard of cooking.

Minekiller said:
Bradstyley said:

...er Iceland, after all our glorious leader used Anti-Terror laws to freeze their financial assets in the UK.
Yeah, freeloading mid-atlantic viking descendant financially-incompetant b'stards! What about the portuguese or the Hungarians? What have they done for me lately?

I am glad France is stepping up to the plate and reinforcing their commitment to getting the job done in Afghanistan. Hopefully other nations will follow suit and amongst us we put enough boots on the ground to actually stabilize the place. Of course... there is that thorny issue of safe havens in Pakistan.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm afraid it's not all as it may at first appear . . . . . .

Those new battalions going out there are actually search teams.

Apparently, the in-country troops surrendered and are now MIA.

My good sir, thanks for the coat.

fantassin said:
Looks like the usually well informed sources either spoke a little bit too fast or is simply wrong.

According to this source

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/2/20081218/tfr-pas-de-renforts-francais-en-afghanis-f56f567.html

"no french reinforcements will be sent" but the 900 FR troops that were based in Kaboul will be redeployed during the first semester of 2009 to the East, in the Kapisa valley, where some of the action is.
Cool, I like the status quo of them being cheese eating surrender monkeys who avoid a good ruckus unless it's against africans in their old colonies...

fantassin said:
"no french reinforcements will be sent" but the 900 FR troops that were based in Kaboul will be redeployed during the first semester of 2009 to the East, in the Kapisa valley, where some of the action is.
I thought so, & I'm willing to bet the french will restrict their soldiers actions to kabul,

Thank God the Canadians, the Americans & the Danes have more bottle than the rest of our NATO "allies"

Not forgetting the Australians aswell

Airfix said:
fantassin said:
Looks like the usually well informed sources either spoke a little bit too fast or is simply wrong.

According to this source

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/2/20081218/tfr-pas-de-renforts-francais-en-afghanis-f56f567.html

Cool, I like the status quo of them being cheese eating surrender monkeys who avoid a good ruckus unless it's against africans in their old colonies...
Actually, if you had taken the trouble to read what is written, the FR troops will move away from Kabul and into the Kapisa area where an FR Bn + is already operating.

And BTW, FR has lost 25 KIA in A-stan, that is almost four times more than the australians since you are so keen on comparing.

fantassin said:
Airfix said:
fantassin said:

According to this source

Actually, if you had taken the trouble to read what is written, the FR troops will move away from Kabul and into the Kapisa area where an FR Bn + is already operating.
"no french reinforcements will be sent" nuff said, but who fills their gap? Not more Froggies, that's what the article says or am I wrong in that?

The French, I've sh!t better armies...

The gap will be filled by the afghans (ANA) they have trained so the FR will be freed for Ops in the East of the country where the french TF Kapisa is already located.

And get over your superiority complex, that's both childish and tedious.

fantassin said:
BLX, it's what makes us English :D
Let's hope they do send some more blokes over.

Personally I don't mind if the Germans don't want to fight. It's not as if they're any good at it. :roll:

The Belgians will only go if there's a girls' school to guard. The Spanish surrendered to AQ some time ago, and everybody elses needs to pull their socks up and join in properly, rather than feeloading off the rest of us.

No, I've never been myself, and I'm too old now, but I can easliy imagine waving my son off from Brize in 10 years time if our so-called allies don't take this thing seriously.

fantassin said:
The gap will be filled by the afghans (ANA) they have trained so the FR will be freed for Ops in the East of the country where the french TF Kapisa is already located.

Mate, you yourself showed in that your original post concerning the increase in numbers of the 3rd Republic's finest to Bde level in Afghanistan to be, in fact, a crock of shoite with a later post.

Now that's not my fault, is it?

You then have the brass neck to mention that 25 French soldiers have been kIA. It's not a contest to see who can get the most killed out there you know. Now if I was really childish I would say, perhaps the Diggers out there are just much better soldiers and take the job more seriously than the French, hence their lack of KIAs, but I won't.

But let's not pretend that the Elysee Palace has has suddenly grown a spine and is willing to put it's sons and daughters in harm's way in any great number.

After all, who would back up the CRS when the farmers and students come knocking on their doors with their latest demands.....

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Are these actual Frogs or Foreign Legion?