France to send extra 1000 troops to Afghanistan

#1
From The TimesMarch 22, 2008

Nicolas Sarkozy to bolster force in Afghanistan with 1,000 extra troops Francis Elliott and Michael Evans
Nicolas Sarkozy will tell Gordon Brown next week that France plans to send an extra 1,000 soldiers to Afghanistan to bolster the battle against the Taleban.

Senior ministers have told The Times that the French President wants to underline his commitment to Nato allies during his state visit to Britain.

The Ministry of Defence has made a working assumption that President Sarkozy will announce a deployment of “slightly more than 1,000 troops to the eastern region”, one said.

The deployment would deliver a significant fillip to the military operation in Afghanistan, ensuring that other countries such as Canada remain engaged. It would also provide concrete evidence that France was committed to forging a new relationship with Nato.
 
#3
Skynet said:
From The TimesMarch 22, 2008

Nicolas Sarkozy to bolster force in Afghanistan with 1,000 extra troops Francis Elliott and Michael Evans
Nicolas Sarkozy will tell Gordon Brown next week that France plans to send an extra 1,000 soldiers to Afghanistan to bolster the battle against the Taleban.

Senior ministers have told The Times that the French President wants to underline his commitment to Nato allies during his state visit to Britain.

The Ministry of Defence has made a working assumption that President Sarkozy will announce a deployment of “slightly more than 1,000 troops to the eastern region”, one said.

The deployment would deliver a significant fillip to the military operation in Afghanistan, ensuring that other countries such as Canada remain engaged. It would also provide concrete evidence that France was committed to forging a new relationship with Nato.
It says extra troops to afghan. Not having been there I wouldn't know but, does France currently have any troops in Afghanistan?
 
#4
Any more info?

The eastern region doesn't narrow it down too much.

Is this the start of the half-arsed input by other nations as long as their Troops are not put in danger?

Or is it the start of a serious attempt of support from other nations?

What other resources are they putting in?
 
#7
Bets on they will be Foreign Legion. French don't care about them getting chopped also less likely to surrender than regular French troops. As was stated before hard to shake the old surrender monkey from a frogs back.
 
#9
Maybe the plan is to overun Terry with POWs!!!! Surely their logistics would soon break down under such a relentless assualt by up handed, white flag flying French Soldiers.

Just like in Sharpe, a column of Frenchies, 6 wide, and 100s deep, shouting "viv l'surrender", "viv l'surrender" and in the middle of it all the tricolor of the French Battle Flag with it's 3 shades of white.

Terry says to his mate Trevor, "Don't worry, if we shoot 3 times a minute we can break their column, and they wont try to surrender to us".

Or the Afghans want some trees planting along the roads.

FFL, definitly in the mix. But the French Army is getting better now they only recruit those who want to join, and the best of their youth. Unlike before when they recruited everybody, and didn't want to send their conscript army anywhere in case the mums got a bit shirty about it.
 
C

cloudbuster

Guest
#10
Welcome news. I wonder how many of those deploying on Op Drapeau Blanc will get within reach of Terry?
 
#11
cloudbuster said:
Welcome news. I wonder how many of those deploying on Op Drapeau Blanc will get within reach of Terry?
Yes, they seem to be making a better effort than many NATO countries. Their Air Force is actively involved already isn't it?
 
#12
cbgramc said:
Bets on they will be Foreign Legion. French don't care about them getting chopped also less likely to surrender than regular French troops. As was stated before hard to shake the old surrender monkey from a frogs back.
I think i may of posted this before, but before UK Plc got into Helmand, the French Army did a lot of work around the mountains of Kabul. In fact at times, went further afield than ourselves. At the time we were doing the Kabul Patrol Company work. Also, around Kabul Airport there were some unmarked French version (Peugeot) G-Wagons driving around, no markings, no ranks armed with silenced MP5's. Would leave at night, come back in at night.



But i like the POW idea!!! :wink:
 
#13
Is this not a result of Canada saying they were unwilling to continue in Afghanistan unless further support was given by other NATO nations? At least it seems to have worked.

Jimima
 
#15
This might surprise you:

With 16 000 men, France is the second contributor in the world in number of troops deployed abroad in operations to maintain the peace. France is also the third contributor in NATO.
Military presence of France in Afghanistan and the rest of the world

The French military plan in Afghanistan corresponds to two distinct operations which enlists more than a thousand men :

Afghanistan : patrouille dans la zone Kaboul a) Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), created in response to the September 11 attacks, applied under the principle of self-defence (art. 51 of the UN Chart) with, as its vocation, the anti-terrorist fight. We participate in it with 240 men (of 20 000), since its implementation :

* 200 troops from the Special Forces stationed in the South and the East
* a detachment of 40 men for the operational training of the Afghan army (ANA) ;

b) The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) of NATO, mandated by the Security Council with stabilisation as its mission after the Bonn-Petersburg accord. It was first deployed in Kabul (2001), in the West (2004), in the South of the country (July 31, 2006).

Originally a multinational operation, ISAF became a NATO operation in 2003. Commanded by the British until February 2007 (General Richards), ISAF controls the whole of the country since July 31st, with the exception of the East zone, which is still under the responsibility of the OEF.

We participate in it with a battalion deployed in Kabul (approximately 650 people, of 9 000). Our contribution to ISAF increased on August 1st, 2006 (+ 450 men) with our having taken command of the Kabul region until March 2007. Between March 2007 and August 2008, we will give support to the Turks and Italians during their respective commands of the region (eight months each), until August 2008.

In other respects, the following elements converge, either directly of indirectly, with these two commitments :

* 320 marines in the of the OEF (Arabian sea), with temporary reinforcements from GAN (Groupe Aéronaval ) ;
* Temporary aerial devices SERPENTAIRE ;
* 150 men for the aerial support in Dushanbe in Tajikistan ;
* 450 men in the metropolis at the heart of the « Strategic Reserve Force » (SRF) of NATO with, however, a priority for the Balkans.

France gives particular importance to the training of the Afghan army, an implementation of which constitutes an essential condition to the stabilisation and the reconstruction of the country; this objective is particularly symbolic and a rapid success is necessary so that the institutions of the country can be implemented quickly.

This contribution in Afghanistan isn’t the only one : With 16 000 men, France is the second contributor in the world in number of troops deployed abroad in operations to maintain the peace. France is also the third contributor in NATO.

Organization of foreign land forces (in French)

Its missions include, in particular:

o Côte d’Ivoire, with 3 150 men working in support of the United Nations mission;
o the Balkans, with approximately 2 180 men working within the European Union missions in Bosnia as well as the NATO and United Nations missions in Kosovo;
o in Lebanon, where its contribution is of 2 460 soldiers in addition to 1 500 naval Forces that patrol along the coasts;
o the Democratic Republic of Congo (880 men) in support of the European Union and the United Nations.
Taken from France in Canada website. The French do a lot more than you think, it's not just the Foreign Legion going on ops.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
cbgramc said:
Bets on they will be Foreign Legion. French don't care about them getting chopped also less likely to surrender than regular French troops. As was stated before hard to shake the old surrender monkey from a frogs back.
Maybe we should send the British legion
A bunch of old hard nutters who get tetchy if some one interupts the darts and doms would soon sort Terry out :D
 
#18
fairmaidofperth said:
This might surprise you:

With 16 000 men, France is the second contributor in the world in number of troops deployed abroad in operations to maintain the peace. France is also the third contributor in NATO.
Military presence of France in Afghanistan and the rest of the world

The French military plan in Afghanistan corresponds to two distinct operations which enlists more than a thousand men :

Afghanistan : patrouille dans la zone Kaboul a) Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), created in response to the September 11 attacks, applied under the principle of self-defence (art. 51 of the UN Chart) with, as its vocation, the anti-terrorist fight. We participate in it with 240 men (of 20 000), since its implementation :

* 200 troops from the Special Forces stationed in the South and the East
* a detachment of 40 men for the operational training of the Afghan army (ANA) ;

b) The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) of NATO, mandated by the Security Council with stabilisation as its mission after the Bonn-Petersburg accord. It was first deployed in Kabul (2001), in the West (2004), in the South of the country (July 31, 2006).

Originally a multinational operation, ISAF became a NATO operation in 2003. Commanded by the British until February 2007 (General Richards), ISAF controls the whole of the country since July 31st, with the exception of the East zone, which is still under the responsibility of the OEF.

We participate in it with a battalion deployed in Kabul (approximately 650 people, of 9 000). Our contribution to ISAF increased on August 1st, 2006 (+ 450 men) with our having taken command of the Kabul region until March 2007. Between March 2007 and August 2008, we will give support to the Turks and Italians during their respective commands of the region (eight months each), until August 2008.

In other respects, the following elements converge, either directly of indirectly, with these two commitments :

* 320 marines in the of the OEF (Arabian sea), with temporary reinforcements from GAN (Groupe Aéronaval ) ;
* Temporary aerial devices SERPENTAIRE ;
* 150 men for the aerial support in Dushanbe in Tajikistan ;
* 450 men in the metropolis at the heart of the « Strategic Reserve Force » (SRF) of NATO with, however, a priority for the Balkans.

France gives particular importance to the training of the Afghan army, an implementation of which constitutes an essential condition to the stabilisation and the reconstruction of the country; this objective is particularly symbolic and a rapid success is necessary so that the institutions of the country can be implemented quickly.

This contribution in Afghanistan isn’t the only one : With 16 000 men, France is the second contributor in the world in number of troops deployed abroad in operations to maintain the peace. France is also the third contributor in NATO.

Organization of foreign land forces (in French)

Its missions include, in particular:

o Côte d’Ivoire, with 3 150 men working in support of the United Nations mission;
o the Balkans, with approximately 2 180 men working within the European Union missions in Bosnia as well as the NATO and United Nations missions in Kosovo;
o in Lebanon, where its contribution is of 2 460 soldiers in addition to 1 500 naval Forces that patrol along the coasts;
o the Democratic Republic of Congo (880 men) in support of the European Union and the United Nations.
Taken from France in Canada website. The French do a lot more than you think, it's not just the Foreign Legion going on ops.
Spoil sport, why let the truth get in the way of a good French bashing.
 

Latest Threads