France rejects "war on terror"

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Sep 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Say, hey!

Hear the sound of the falling rain
    Coming down like an Armageddon flame (Hey!)
    The shame
    The ones who died without a name

Hear the dogs howling out of key
    To a hymn called "Faith and Misery" (Hey!)
    And bleed, the company lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
    This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
    On holiday

Hear the drum pounding out of time
    Another protester has crossed the line (Hey!)
    To find, the money's on the other side

Can I get another Amen? (Amen!)
    There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (Hey!)
    A gag, a plastic bag on a monument

On holiday

(Say, hey!)

"The representative from California has the floor"

Sieg Heil to the president Gasman
    Bombs away is your punishment
    Pulverize the Eiffel towers
    Who criticize your government
    Bang bang goes the broken glass and
    Kill all the fags that don't agree
    Trials by fire, setting fire
    Is not a way that's meant for me
    Just cause, just cause, because we're outlaws yeah!

This is our lives on holiday
  3. It's just preparation.... for surrender. ;-)

4. I'm personally not the greatest fan of the French, however regardless of their political posturing/posing, the French have a wealth of experience when it comes to counter terrorism/counter insurgency. They also seemingly have no qualms about sinking you/shooting you if you're New Zealand or Clichy sous Bois.

They are probably also a potential 'wild card' in Europe (IMHO) with their independent nuclear weapons capability.

While the US, and to a lesser extent Israel are hand wringing about Iran, I'd not at all be surprised if the French nuked Iran back to the stone age, and on being called to the UN to account for themselves would probably give that very gaelic shrug and say "and what are you going to do about it?"
  5. The french may have got the balance right

The reason why they reject it? it gets in the way of a good lunch, bottle of wine, siesta avec mistress, etc etc

Best reason to move to france:
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

"French have a wealth of experience when it comes to counter terrorism/counter insurgency."

Hmmm... As I recall they didn't do to well in Vietnam, Algeria, parts of Africa. When did they win one by themselves? I can't seem to remember that. :roll:
  7. The French did not do well in Vietnam!

Neither did the Americans!

Well done France, at least they have minds of their own and are not subsumed to the will of an inarticulate semi-evolved simbiant occupying the White House at the moment!

He may have been elected, but he, like our Prime Minister, was not elected by the majority of his enfranchised public!
  8. That still counts as experience though.

May I point you in the direction of this paper:

Modern Warfare - A French view of counterinsurgency

(Combined Arms Research Library)

(Arthur D. Davis, Major, USAF)

An interesting little snippet for you:

9. I could not have put it better myself. Perhaps POTUS should ease off the domestic rhetoric and focus and engenging more effective international co-opertaion. :?

Fance is not the problem, countries like Suadi and UAE (who people fund) and Pakistian (who are myopic) should be the focus of the 'determined fight' by diplomatic, econmic and real political pressure.

The right-wing in the US seem to have mistaken France for AQ, :x Sorry but whilst Frogs may deserve some bashing over there attitude they are not the enemy and are pretty ruthless about dealing with AQ problems internally.
  10. Oh come on....

What about the collaboration and futile resistance?
  11. I find it depressing to see how our cousins try so very hard to alienate their former allies. In the wake of 9/11 France would have done an awful lot for the US - if Le Monde starts printing covers with "Nous Sommes Toutes Americains" on (with apologies for spelling) - then you know something's up.

What France did not do (and, much as it smarts I must applaud them for it) was take part in the invasion of Iraq. It had nothing to do with 9/11, was clearly going to screw up that part of the world and they said "non".

But - and here's the sad bit - the US administration was so incompetent, so blinded by their own stupidity that instead of thinking "Hmm, if our loyal allies object maybe we should have a rethink" they just went into full on bigoted "cheese eating surrender monkey" mode.

The French have shown time and time again that they will cheerfully kill, maim, torture and otherwise dispose of anyone who gets in their way. If they decline to take part in an activity it is because they do not see it as helping them. The US should examine exactly why no-one (apart from that lickspittle Blair and those countries bought and paid for) support their current activities. Maybe they could get a clue that way.
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Dear boy, the French ruled a Colonial empire in a swathe of Africa and most of Indo China rather successfully from 1820 to 1962 without the benefit of any benevolent US assistance. Not much of it was aquired other than at bayonet point.

At the same time they fought the leading Continental power (Prussia/Germany) four times .

In what we used to call The Great War - the one you guys joined three years after it started - their butcher's bill was as follows:

I have to laugh at the current anti-French fashion in America, and its cavalier ignorance of your own history. If you ever visit Washington DC read some of the tourist literature and find out who laid out the city for you.....without Johnny Crapaud,

A) America would have probably remained a Loyal Dominion until the 20th Century and would now be a valued member of the British Commonwealth.

B) Foggy Bottom would still be primaeval swamp

Tinkety-tonk old hat!

Lee Shaver
  13. And you see no corrolation between this and the US's current Foreign policy?
  14. Really? I never would have guessed.

The fact is that they managed to a keep a lid on things for the better part of a century. Your chap just about managed an election cycle before it all turned to runny sh1t.

Oh, and US-Soviet fun and games in the Cold War played their part too, particularly during the move towards independence for the colonies.
  15. A "war on terrorism" :?: :?: :?: :?:

Clever propoganda, but it doesn't quite make sense does it?