France enters cartoon row

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Feb 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :D Allez les gars du France Soir! :D

See, the French do have balls when they want to!

And when the backlash occurs, I sincerely hope that France Soir tells them to poke it in le hoop and stop being so fecking al-sensitive.

2. Careful, it's only a short trip from there to 'if you don't like it, fcuk off home'

Then an even shorter trip to the cells for incitement.

3. Mine was a reference to Palestinian flag burning (of Danish flags) so I'm probably still safe from the threat of the cells! :wink:

4. Can we get T-shirts made with the pictures on? I would like to see one of the al-Hampshire militants trying to slap me with his ****ing sandal......

5. Free speech is great, but just because I have the absolute right to insult and demean another's beliefs doesn't make it polite or gentlemanly thing to do.

Besides which, R_T, they were published in a newspaper not a handout.

6. fas_et_gloria

The term 'handout' was a refence to EU money going to Palestine, not a print out of an article

7. <coughs>

WAH!

8. :lol: :oops:

9. 307

307 War Hero

So hold on, why can the christians, hindus and jews and whoever else was depicted besides the muslims take it as it was intended, a statement that, its all for one or none at all, in multi cultural societies. I didn't see reports of any violent hindu bomb threats or riots or outcry or anything, I have to be honest, if this doesn't highlight the apparently widespread militant aspect to islam then I don't know what does. And I am gonna go out on a limb and say it and risk the incoming but, if they do not accept that in their chosen society (in the case of migrants) that the freedom of expression exists for people to put pen to paper and create things such as this maybe they should move on to pastures new where freedom of expression is a bit slow coming and then decide which lifestyle was the better.

10. The free speech bit, however, wasn't a wah. More an indictment of all that it is to be French.

11. I agree. However, the point which les Francais et al is trying to make is that it is religious extremism which is forcing us to tailor what we can say / can't say accordingly. I don't for one minute believe that the average follower of the muslim faith got excited by this, or threatened to cut Salman Rushdie's throat after his so-called Islamic insults. The moderate believers of any faith or creed see the extremists as just that - I would suggest that extremism in any form is merely a vehicle for exponents of their own subversive agenda to have a voice.

12. I'll refer to my first post, then. Just because something can be said, doesn't mean it should be. Islam is ideologically iconoclastic. The foundation of the faith centred around the purging of idolatry from the pre-Islamic Arabian faiths. Comparing Hinduism and Islam in terms of their acceptance of iconic imagery ignores the nature of Hinduism's acceptance of imagery as a focus for worship just as much as Islam's rejection of it lest it become an object of worship.

Anyone who publishes this type of stuff is sending a calculated insult to exactly the portion of the global population whom we must get to understand us. The basis of the anti-Western extremism, which lies at the root of militant salafism, is the cultural neo-colonialism of the West. All this is likely to achieve is handing evidence to the extremist preachers who lay the ills of the Islamic world at the door of the post-religious West.

13. Congratulations to the frogs!

here's why i'm 100% behind them:

About time someone had the balls to clearly express that in the press.