Français par le sang versé - British Style

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alib, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Qui - let the veterans in

94.1%
  2. Non - the lifeboat is full

5.9%
  1. I know it is the British tradition dating from the 16th century to ruthlessly cut loose native allies but how about a vote on automatically awarding UK citizenship based on wounds received defending The Crown? Seems like basic human decency to me.

I include in this any Gurkha/Pashtu/Iraqi translator who develops a dodgy knee let alone a VC.

After 3 years service the French Foreign Legion offers citizenship. I'd also include anybody likely to be boiled for helping us but that's unrealistic.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think its 5 years, and a small issue regarding income tax...

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

So? times have changed then...the Legion contract used to be five years.

I'll sign up to the Yes vote - if you can change it to read 'Yes' instead of 'WHO' ? Hope your Pashto is better than your French :-D

I've always thought there was bags of scope to solve the recruiting crisis by forming non-citizen units with guys who serve in exchange for a passport. 4077th (Polski) Bn, REME anyone ?

That said, it is not a shortage of young Brits that has given us a militia in place of an Army.....it's the Gollum-ish grip of Treasury on operational issues - like how many soldiers we actually NEED, in how many vehicles, with what levels of realistic (expensive) training.

what

...ever. :x

4. Personally I think that all who have served should be allowed citizenship.

5. I have said it before. Complete a Term of four years (Minimum sign on) or indeed get wounded during those first four years - you're in for my money.

As for translators - not quite so cut and dried for me and my personal experience. That said - why should one bad apple spoil it for the rest of them? Subject to background and security checks what the hey - let them in too, having completed a requisite amount of service to HM Armed Forces.

Join up - go on the biff from Wk 13 and stay there? Poke off and don't come back. That goes for anyone like......

6. FFS this is scary - I agree with you - totally :oops:

7. . . and it's not the first time RM.

Shame on You :D