Français par le sang versé - British Style

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alib, Feb 11, 2008.

?
  1. Qui - let the veterans in

94.1%
  2. Non - the lifeboat is full

5.9%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know it is the British tradition dating from the 16th century to ruthlessly cut loose native allies but how about a vote on automatically awarding UK citizenship based on wounds received defending The Crown? Seems like basic human decency to me.

I include in this any Gurkha/Pashtu/Iraqi translator who develops a dodgy knee let alone a VC.

After 3 years service the French Foreign Legion offers citizenship. I'd also include anybody likely to be boiled for helping us but that's unrealistic.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think its 5 years, and a small issue regarding income tax...

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

So? times have changed then...the Legion contract used to be five years.

I'll sign up to the Yes vote - if you can change it to read 'Yes' instead of 'WHO' ? Hope your Pashto is better than your French :-D

I've always thought there was bags of scope to solve the recruiting crisis by forming non-citizen units with guys who serve in exchange for a passport. 4077th (Polski) Bn, REME anyone ?

That said, it is not a shortage of young Brits that has given us a militia in place of an Army.....it's the Gollum-ish grip of Treasury on operational issues - like how many soldiers we actually NEED, in how many vehicles, with what levels of realistic (expensive) training.

what

...ever. :x

4. Personally I think that all who have served should be allowed citizenship.

5. I have said it before. Complete a Term of four years (Minimum sign on) or indeed get wounded during those first four years - you're in for my money.

As for translators - not quite so cut and dried for me and my personal experience. That said - why should one bad apple spoil it for the rest of them? Subject to background and security checks what the hey - let them in too, having completed a requisite amount of service to HM Armed Forces.

Join up - go on the biff from Wk 13 and stay there? Poke off and don't come back. That goes for anyone like......

6. FFS this is scary - I agree with you - totally :oops:

7. . . and it's not the first time RM.

Shame on You :D