Fractured Ankle Advice?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by drduff, Feb 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I'm looking at joining the TA shortly but I am concerned about a rugby injury I received over 2 years ago in which I fractured my ankle.

Unfortunately for me I did undergoe some metalwork to pin it at the time and this has never been removed. However I have regained full mobility and use of it so it doesn't hamper me in anyway.

Will this reduce my chances of joining or are there some exceptions which are allowed?

Any advice would be a great help!

2. Go and find out. You'll find the doctors and medicals to be quite forgiving of old injuries as long as you volunteer the information and prove you have fully recovered!

I imagine as long as you have full rotation of the foot, and its not liable to fall apart on an assault course you'll be fine!

3. you should have no problems if you can pass the basic fitness tests
    speak to the TA centre and they should give you the advice you require
    and good luck???

4. Hi I am in the TA. The medical is not as thorough as that of the Regs. However, you will have to inform doc of this and the unit you are preposing to join and have it checked out. Obviously they still have to ensure you are "fighting fit".

Like you said, you dont have any dramas with it anymore. As long as you're fitness is of a good standard then you will be fine!

Also, basic trg...when i did it 6 years ago it was for 2 weeks, so the strain on the injury will not be anywhere near as bad as it would be if you were doing 12 weeks basic with regs!!

The TA is a fantastic experience and I have done so much at such a young age, including an Op tour. I am now moving on to the regs as it suits my personal life as I am in Germany with O/H.

All the best mate!

5. Hi I am in the TA. The medical is not as thorough as that of the Regs. However, you will have to inform doc of this and the unit you are preposing to join and have it checked out. Obviously they still have to ensure you are "fighting fit".

Like you said, you dont have any dramas with it anymore. As long as you're fitness is of a good standard then you will be fine!

Also, basic trg...when i did it 6 years ago it was for 2 weeks, so the strain on the injury will not be anywhere near as bad as it would be if you were doing 12 weeks basic with regs!!

The TA is a fantastic experience and I have done so much at such a young age, including an Op tour. I am now moving on to the regs as it suits my personal life as I am in Germany with O/H.

All the best mate!

6. dr duff...was your ankle plated or do you just have screws in it?

7. oh...p.s a lad at my TA unit had screws in his hand and a plate and he got in TA eventhough press-up's can be a struggle for him, which is a part of you're PFT! And most of my seniors move like old people f**k so u will be ok!!

8. Hi I think there maybe a plate but I'm not 100% sure. Been a while since I saw the X-rays.

Thanks for the replies so far guys/gals..

JD