Fracking? Frack off...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cold_Collation, Aug 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

2. Not that interesting at all really. We need that gas, stop being blinded by nonesense.
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Cold_Collation

Oh, go on - it has graphs and everything.
  4. It can have all the sodding graphs it likes. Frack away Baby, Frack away!
  5. Well written article. What's a "thrid"?

The US Naval Air Weapons Station already relies on a 14 megawatt array of solar panels in California's Mojave desert for a thrid of its power. Pearl Harbour will soon follow as the Pentagon goes off-grid, better shielded from enemies.
  6. Well whoop dee do. Solar cells work in places with lots of sun, that exactly isnt here is it CC? Also, how will electricity help my gas boiler run? We need gas as well, that is the reality.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. well the chinese are going after a Thorium Salt reactor at the moment which they have 20,000+ years worth of supply for.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. We could have done this years ago, if there had been the political will to back the research. But no, as long as Cameron's Father in Law is making lots of money it's sodding windmills.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Cold_Collation

Yes, true, but you'd dismiss anything which would offset the need for gas would you? We do get a summer - occasionally - and we even get the odd sunny day in the winter. And, as DesktopCommando notes, other options are available in terms of power generation... or would be if there was the political will.

But, no, let's just crack on as we are, eh? Not for us independence from the vagaries of the Middle East or Russia.

If we, the electorate, keep ignoring stuff like this the donkeys in Parliament will drag their feet when it comes to making it happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Or perhaps we stop wasting time and money on bollocks that won't work and work on with fossil fuels until new breakthroughs that actually work.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app
    • Like Like x 3
  11. If solar worked and was cheap guess what'd be on my roof.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Daily Turdgraph employs unpaid intern, on zero hour contract, to make up bullshit headline for article written by scientifically illiterate former social anthropologist, who has typed an article parrot fashion, in the hope of increasing internet traffic.
  13. Yup, now about that coal I'm sat above.
  14. Not while we are closing perfectly good power stations, without replacements, to satisfy some bollocks EU Carbon Target. :rage::rage::rage:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Cold_Collation

...except that this stuff will work, it's being made to work. Materials research is moving on.

Read the article: $400 to deliver a gallon of fuel to a FOB. That's a hell of a money (and energy) saving in a military context. It's directly translatable into a civil context. Granted, it may not work on all days in all places in the world, but it'll work on a good many in a good many. And that reduces overall dependence on fossil fuels and the vagaries of the regimes which sit on top of them. Oh, and it's cleaner - the burning has already been done in that power station which is 90-odd million miles away.

Why does it matter if it's not directly usable by everyone all the time? People used to make the same point about spray-on deodorants and creating a hole in the ozone layer - 'What difference does me using a spray-on make?'... the answer is/was 'Not much, but several million or a few billion people using them makes quite a difference.'

Still, I guess it's easier to knock.