FR regiments phase 2 training

Discussion in 'RAC' started by joshrichardson, Feb 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm currently looking at the different career opportunities within the Army to try and come to a final decision before I start my app. I'm looking at regiments like the Queen's Royal Lancers (recce regiments) and was wondering what phase 2 training consisted of.

More specifically;
    - do recruits go through similar training to an armoured infantry regiment?
    - are RAC FR regiment recruits expected to maintain similar levels of fitness to the infantry?
    - what skills and training does a recruit during phase 2 go through when joining an FR regiment?

I can't find much information on phase 2 training when joining an FR regiment. Any help would be great so I can basically get more of an insight of what this role is about and the sort of fitness levels required to join such a role.

Thanks for any help.

2. Bit of a bump for anyone that can provide any info.

3. QRL are a good unit mate. I went through RAC phase 2 8 years ago but from what the new guys tell me its still the same. I think the first thing i done was a 2 week signals course. This just consits of basic radion maint and voice procedure. After that you go on to your civy driving test, Normall takes a week of driving every day then you will have your test. Once that complete you will do a 4 week cvrt driving course. You will do 2 weeks of maint and getting to know the waggon then 2 weeks of driving. You spend alot of time driving on roads around the local area. Plus plenty of cross country doing day and night driving. The whole of Phase 2 normally lasts about 3 months. So as you can see there are not 3 months of courses there. In between courses you go to a holding troop and there you just do all different military skills. I could not tell you what because as i said mine was 8 years ago.

You need to keep on top of your fitness especially as your going FR. There is nothing worse than a gobby nig tipping up and he cant even pass a basic fitness course.

Regards

F_t_912

4. Below is the information given to the Bournemouth & Poole branch RTR Association in October 2009 by members of the RAC training regiment. Tomorrow. 01 March, our guest speaker is an officer from the RAC training regiment, I will be putting the notes from his talk on this site under the Bournemouth & Poole RTR Assn heading.

The recruits arrive from Bassingbourne and then do their car driving theory test and then learn to drive a car. They then do their Signals course. After that 30% do Gunnery at Lulworth and the other 70% go to the D&M wing.
    They are taught by civilian instructors.
    They begin with learning about the engine and maintenance and then begin driver training on simulators to get a feel for the vehicle. Part of the simulator training involves driving the tank onto a tank transporter.

They then do X country driving on the Bovington training area. This includes driving closed down, driving at night and driving whilst wearing a Gas mask.
    Then it's onto the road for the final part of the course. They get 3 attempts to pass their trade test.

Once they have passed their trade test and tank driving test they go to their regiments.

In November 2009 we got another briefing, details below

Mark gave a very good account of the phase 2 (trade training) programme at Bovington. Last month the guest speakers gave an overview of phase 2 training and then went into D&M training in detail, this month we got phase 2 training in more detail. The main points (as interpreted by the myself) are as follows, Having arrived from Bassingbourne and phase 1 training the recruits can expect to spend approximately 21 weeks at Bovington although this can vary, especially for recruits who already hold a full driving licence. They start with a 2-week conditioning period that includes Documentation, physical fitness including a PFT and bonding with the instructors. Each training team consists of a Lt, a Sgt. And 3 x Cpl’s who will oversee their batch of recruits.

The next 3 weeks are taken up with learning to drive, (cars not tanks). After the theory test they get handed over to the BSM instructors who will then get them through their tests. At this point it may be prudent to inform residents of Poole to be wary if visiting Tesco’s at Tower Park at lunch time as a swarm of L plate cars descend on said location for refuelling, and I’m talking about the occupants not the cars!

Once they are legal on the road they move on to the CIS school (formerly the RAC Signal School) for Bowman training. It seems that youngsters today find digital technology very easy and they pick up signals training easily. What would they make of Clansman or even Larkspur!
    Following signal training they will get a long weekend off. They can then expect a 2-week refresher period to ensure they have not forgotten what they learned at Bassingbourne in Phase 1 training. This period is likely to include adventure training as well.

At this point some recruits will then go onto Gunnery training at Lulworth while others do D&M at Bovington. This will take about 6/7 weeks. Finally the last 2 weeks include fitness tests, first aid training, and Drugs/Alcohol awareness lectures (I nearly spilled my beer at this point)

Mark pointed out that they do PT every day; the wastage rate is low, only about 5% fail to get through. Only a small percentage decides at this point that the army is not for them and PVR. He also mentioned that the age of recruit varies considerably, you would imagine that nearly all recruits are age 17/18, not so, the number in their 20’s is considerable, there are currently two men over age 30 doing their training right now. Mark stated that having 2 recruits who were older than him was a bit weird. You can now enlist up to age 35.

5. Two incredibly helpful replies. Looks like I have to work on my fitness before I begin my application. Training looks exciting if not daunting and I'm looking forward to starting an application, whether I decide on joining an FR regiment or not. But the post above me has definitely got me thinking about an FR role as my career more seriously.

Thanks for the great response!