Fr para/commando

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Robp85, Jun 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to join formation recce and taken an interest in the para/commando role. I know it's 16 air assault brigade or 3 commando brigade and aab must undertake aapps what do you do for commando? And does this take place right after basic training ?

2. No it takes place before training, its easier.

3. If you've got other qualifications, it'll make the transition to recce a bit easier for you. As they normally only take blokes with a fair bit of experience.

I believe at present, there's a vacancy for "Advanced Morris Dancers" with "Maypole" badge. :D

They are also keen to take on anyone that's done the "Underground Balloon Course" :lol:

Egg & Spoon racers needn't apply. They've got enough of those at the moment! :wink:

4. Ah so it's aapps then onto phase 1 like a screening ? And my qualifications aren't exact great beat is gsce in it :/ will that be a prob for fr then or just depends on vacancys and those with qualifications standng out better? It is my first choice other is main battle tank but means won't have chance go for it at a later date once in doesn't it?

5. Mate I would advise you to join up in an FR regiment, its a good job with a mix of Infantry stuff as well as the armoured stuff. The para /commando stuff comes later on.

6. I hear that they want foreign speakers nowadays. Sounds like your your the man for the job.

7. Sorry "best qualification is GCSE in IT" thanks for the advice I'll concentrate on my training and get down the careers office for a more in depth chat

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

A GCSE in IT won't hurt. There was no such thing as IT when I was your age. When I looked inside a Sultan last year, the only item I recognised was the water tank under the commander's cupola. There were two laptops up and running. The young lad didn't look at all happy when I started checking them out, but they did the job. Everything and everyone seems to have a computer, even in the army these days.

Don't worry about your educational fit. If you go down the FR route, they'll teach you everything you need to know. If you are canny with your career moves you'll still be able to get a real job when you've grown up.

I transferred to the Pay Corps, who trained me to use a mainframe computer, and I have the perfect job for life (Recce is only the perfect job when you are young). The mainframe still allows my employers to turn in double-digit growth even through the recession.