Foyle's War - RA Sgt

Anyone watch Foyle's War 24 March? Joe Duttine played a RA Sgt at the end of WWII. I know that berets of that era were often much bigger than those worn today, but this seems pretty monster. And isn't that an officer cap badge? I won't go into unpressed bd etc etc (after all, it's only a story).

Attachments

He had his gaiters on wrong way round as well.Pedantic,Moi?

I saw the delightful Honeysuckle Weeks a few months back in Dublin when she was filming this episode of the new series of Foyle's War.....and no I didn't
('twas in Tescos at the time - no excuse I know).

It's ironic that when the producers wanted a location that resembled bombed-out, postwar, austerity London c.1946, they chose Dublin in 2012/13.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

After seeing the bus and boring MrsDriver for twenty minutes I was waiting for a Bedford RL to turn. Sadly, it didn't

The headgear is a utility-style beret widely worn, and hated, from the middle of the war onwards. Other than that, shit-order prop uniform - as noted wrong cap badge and no medals, plus no RA arm badges. Apparently posted to Eastern Command but happily wandering around London - as were the loonies in the 'secret' establishment, which looked more like a jam factory....

As for the bus!

Anyone watch Foyle's War 24 March. Joe Duttine played a RA Sgt at the end of WWII. I know that berets of that era were often much bigger than those worn today, but this seems pretty monster. And isn't that an officer cap badge? I won't go into unpressed bd etc etc (after all, it's only a story).
That item of headgear isn't actually a beret but The General service cap which contemporary photos show was somewhat larger than the later issue berets. The same headgear is shown being worn in the film a bridge too far by the British truck drivers delivering boats to the 82nd Airborne for their river crossing.

Foyle's War is shocking in terms of uniforms, etc. There was an episode awhiles back in which some bloke (I hesitate to call him an actor) was playing an officer - in a uniform that looked like it had just been plucked uncleaned or ironed from a sack. Totally unrealistic given the standards of the time, especially given that this was supposed to have been post-War and away from anywhere dangerous. It spoils things.

Also meant to have been Jap PoW looked rather well fed and in good health to me.
Didn't miss weeks look a little on the hazard side, as if she isn't aging well.
Sent from boredomville

So he has. You must have eyes like a hawk!
Stuck out like a bulldog's bollocks.No medals? I call Cold War Warrior Walt.

If we are really going down the attention to detail route then he would have very likely been wearing the late war issue economy battledress with visible buttons rather than the earlier issue type where the buttons are hidden behind flies as in the picture.

If we are really going down the attention to detail route then he would have very likely been wearing the late war issue economy battledress with visible buttons rather than the earlier issue type where the buttons are hidden behind flies as in the picture.
Wouldn't he have been issued with a demob suit anyway? He did look pretty well fed for someone who'd been incarcerated for a few years by the Japanese.

I have trouble watching the gap toothed gawker (some say good looker) weeks with her outfit, whats with the sam browne without shoulder strap? would a women private ever have such a thing?

Wouldn't he have been issued with a demob suit anyway? He did look pretty well fed for someone who'd been incarcerated for a few years by the Japanese.
Not really. First of all, it didn't actually say how long the War in Japan had ended. His war medal entitlement may not have been published immediately - one reason why he may not have had medal ribbons, particularly since he had spent three years in captivity. It was common practice for many soldiers at the end of the war to stay in uniform for a short period.

As for his physical condition following his holiday with the Japs - who knows, he may have found a cushy job in the POW NAAFI - has no-one ever seen "King Rat" ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There was so much wrong with the Sergeabt character that I ignored it after a while to get on with watching the programme. I feel this is BBC "luvvy" at its worst by the Beeb - all the other civilian characters were well turned out, looking like people from that time, hats etc, women's fashion OK but when it came to soldiers no effort seems to have been taken to get it right or even look convincing.