Foxing Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by marty870, Sep 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been done before.

I've just got a slot on my FAC for a .223 for foxes, Ive narrowed my choice down to three.

The three are: Remmy 700, Howa 1500 or the CZ 527.

All offer synthetic stocks & varmint barrels so any opinions would be gratefully received

2. Cow

Cow LE

How've you come to these 3, have you had a shoot of them yet?

3. I'd rate a Tikka, Steyr, Sako over any of your choices.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I disagree - I'd say the Howa's every bit as good as the Tikka.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'd have to agree especially if its just foxes.

Walnut stocks and engraving are not needed - the lamp will ruin the lines and it'll be dark half the time anyway.....

Cheap and functional, reliable, stainless/synthetic, moderator - Howa.
    CZ for the wood stock if preferred.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Go for the Remi if you're a fat, stupid American with no taste or sense . . . . . . or can only afford to blue-print a second-rate action rather than get a properly built one :D

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

8. Have you decided how you plan on using it - that'll affect how you configure it and so on. I have a .223 slot for vermin (fox) and bought a new Remy 700 SPS, based on a combination of factors including getting a really good deal at the gunsmiths.

It fits me well and shoots beautifully on the ranges, but with the long heavy barrel, scope, bipod and moderator it's chuffing heavy - not so comfortable for trekking round the fields with; much more suited to fixed position sniping / shooting from a (parked) wagon. Of course if you were your section GMPG gunner then you'll be used to it....

As Biped points out, try one first but not just on the range - walk 1/2 mile with the sod and then see what you think!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Very little wrong with any of the choices you have made, value for money used to be CZ butHowa now every time. I'm a confirmed Ruger man for out of the box accuracy and value for money!

10. THe CZ I tried had an awful trigger. I would say the same of teh R700 due to its single stage set up.

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The new Rem700 trigger is fine. CZ's can be dire, I had a .22lr with a decent one though.

12. It's going to be used for lamping from a fourby and I used to be an LMG gunner so if i did have to carry it I think I'd manage :D

Those three were selected cos they're within my budget (new) and i'd read reasonable reviews on them but wanted honest opinions

13. I thought you didn't like Ruger - or was it just the 10/22....?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its just the 10/22 it isnt out of the box anything apart from TAT!

15. If you like a single stage trigger on a rifle the Remington set up may appeal to you but I would venture that most people will shoot better with a two stage trigger, as a serviceman it's what you're used to too.