Foxing Rifle

Sorry if this has been done before.

I've just got a slot on my FAC for a .223 for foxes, Ive narrowed my choice down to three.

The three are: Remmy 700, Howa 1500 or the CZ 527.

All offer synthetic stocks & varmint barrels so any opinions would be gratefully received

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I disagree - I'd say the Howa's every bit as good as the Tikka.

Alsacien

MIA
Biped said:
I disagree - I'd say the Howa's every bit as good as the Tikka.
I'd have to agree especially if its just foxes.

Walnut stocks and engraving are not needed - the lamp will ruin the lines and it'll be dark half the time anyway.....

Cheap and functional, reliable, stainless/synthetic, moderator - Howa.
CZ for the wood stock if preferred.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Go for the Remi if you're a fat, stupid American with no taste or sense . . . . . . or can only afford to blue-print a second-rate action rather than get a properly built one :D

Have you decided how you plan on using it - that'll affect how you configure it and so on. I have a .223 slot for vermin (fox) and bought a new Remy 700 SPS, based on a combination of factors including getting a really good deal at the gunsmiths.

It fits me well and shoots beautifully on the ranges, but with the long heavy barrel, scope, bipod and moderator it's chuffing heavy - not so comfortable for trekking round the fields with; much more suited to fixed position sniping / shooting from a (parked) wagon. Of course if you were your section GMPG gunner then you'll be used to it....

As Biped points out, try one first but not just on the range - walk 1/2 mile with the sod and then see what you think!

ugly

LE
Very little wrong with any of the choices you have made, value for money used to be CZ butHowa now every time. I'm a confirmed Ruger man for out of the box accuracy and value for money!

Alsacien

MIA
EX_STAB said:
THe CZ I tried had an awful trigger. I would say the same of teh R700 due to its single stage set up.
The new Rem700 trigger is fine. CZ's can be dire, I had a .22lr with a decent one though.

theinventor said:
Have you decided how you plan on using it - that'll affect how you configure it and so on. I have a .223 slot for vermin (fox) and bought a new Remy 700 SPS, based on a combination of factors including getting a really good deal at the gunsmiths.

It fits me well and shoots beautifully on the ranges, but with the long heavy barrel, scope, bipod and moderator it's chuffing heavy - not so comfortable for trekking round the fields with; much more suited to fixed position sniping / shooting from a (parked) wagon. Of course if you were your section GMPG gunner then you'll be used to it....

As Biped points out, try one first but not just on the range - walk 1/2 mile with the sod and then see what you think!
It's going to be used for lamping from a fourby and I used to be an LMG gunner so if i did have to carry it I think I'd manage :D

Those three were selected cos they're within my budget (new) and i'd read reasonable reviews on them but wanted honest opinions

ugly said:
Very little wrong with any of the choices you have made, value for money used to be CZ butHowa now every time. I'm a confirmed Ruger man for out of the box accuracy and value for money!
I thought you didn't like Ruger - or was it just the 10/22....?

ugly

LE
Its just the 10/22 it isnt out of the box anything apart from TAT!

Alsacien said:
EX_STAB said:
THe CZ I tried had an awful trigger. I would say the same of teh R700 due to its single stage set up.
The new Rem700 trigger is fine. CZ's can be dire, I had a .22lr with a decent one though.
If you like a single stage trigger on a rifle the Remington set up may appeal to you but I would venture that most people will shoot better with a two stage trigger, as a serviceman it's what you're used to too.

Alsacien

MIA
EX_STAB said:
Alsacien said:
EX_STAB said:
If you like a single stage trigger on a rifle the Remington set up may appeal to you but I would venture that most people will shoot better with a two stage trigger, as a serviceman it's what you're used to too.
I must admit I move between single, two and set so it makes no difference to me now as long as the let off is smooth and crisp.
I picked up a new 700SPS barrel and action last year on the cheap (anyone want a new 7mm08 barrel?) - the new Rem. trigger is better than my new Steyr Mannlicher (two stage)!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just sold a 700SPS that has been here for months to one of my regular stalkers (.243). I'll hear soon enough what he thinks of it. He flogged me his Sako 75 .243 (which is still here) as part of a deal if anyone's interested.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Marty, have you thought of the CAM from BMS ?

There's a vid of Robert Bucknell with one here.

Bought my own one last year.
It's very comfortable to shoot, and extremely fast for a follow-up shot.

ugly

LE
Not saying the cam is outdated as despite the inspiration being already 30 years old before the CAM was a dream on paper but they havent been commercially available for far too long have they?
They shoot well but certainly are the MAS 36 of the stalking/sporting rifle when it comes to weight, grace, style and balance!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr The Intelligence Cell 7
B Aviation 5
Jip Travolta Current Affairs, News and Analysis 8