Foxhound, Sunray...What were the others?

Chaps,

Can anyone remember the old fixed callsigns? By that I mean the system whereby an Infantry soldier was a "Foxhound" and a commander was a "Sunray". What were the others? And specifically, what was Recce Pl?

Come on, the old boys.

Watchdog = RMP
Felix = ATO
Boxwood = NBC Cell

NBC- BOXWOOD
RCT-PLAYTIME
RAMC-STARLIGHT
SIGS-PRONTO
ENGINEER-HOLDFAST
ARTILLERY-SHELDRAKE
ORDNANCE-BLANKET STACKER :D sorry RICKSHAW
ADJUTANT-SEAGULL
CAVALRY-IRONSIDE
QM-MOLAR
INTELLIGENCE-ACORN
REME=BLUEBELL
AVIATION-HAWKEYE

Apparently:

ACORN - Intelligence Staff
ATOLL -Transport support ops staff
BASEBALL - Direction / Air Traffic Control
BLUEBELL - Marine eng/REME/Engineer
BOXWOOD - NBC Staff
CRACKER - Locating incl artillery int staff
CONROD - Direction officer/air defence rep
CONTRACTOR - Movements
FELIX - Ammo tech officer
FIREGUARD - RAF Regiment
FLOATER - Amphibious ops officer
FORTUNE - Forward air controller
FOXHOUND - Infantry
GLOWWORM - Ground liaison / air liaison officer
HAWKEYE - Aviation officer
HOLDFAST - Engineers
IRONSIDE - Armour
KESTREL - Infantry ops off.
KINGFISHER - Air Liaison off.
MANHOLE - Admin staff
METEOR - Met forecaster
MOLAR - Logistics / QM
MOONBEAM - Chief of Staff
NOMAD - Navigation
NUTSHELL - Q Staff
OFFSET - Offensive support ops rep
PLAYTIME - Transport
PRONTO - Signals
RICKSHAW - Ordnance
SEAGULL - Air staff (ops)
SHELDRAKE - Gunnery staff
SHOTGUN - Armourer
SPINDLE - Airborne forward air controller
SPYGLASS - Air recce
STARLIGHT - Medical
SUNRAY - OC
VESTMENT - Air contact officer
WATCHDOG - Provost

Wasn´t BLUEBELL specifically the Tiffy?

Also you had SUNRAY MAJOR and SUNRAY MINOR. ic and 2ic respectively.

We all knew who they were.... and so did the Soviets!

Didn't the R Signals bring in a troop of trainee signallers to monitor the nets of a major BAOR exercise in the late 70s/early 80s with the instructions to work out who was who and their locations?

And they did! And from that came BATCO and flexible callsigns.

Litotes

Nice to see the old listings ... "Hello Baseball, this is Seagull".
Some of them were quite embarrassing!
Still, I have a coffee mug somewhere suitably inscribed ... 8)

As Litotes implies ... what an utter waste of time, security-wise. However, it served some sort of purpose, otherwise you'd be saying "Hello, Boss" to everyone! :wink:

The Sigs were still doing comsec monitoring on Ex Eulan Eagle (sp?) in Poland in the 90's...

A common/comical procedure often heard was commanders trying to get orders across on the net and having difficulty... 'Switch to other means'.... in reality he's just called his oppo on the mobile...genius.

Def EW started officially at 7 Sigs, in ´80s before moving to 14. Later became part of Combined Arms Field Training Group (Germany), eventually under the guise of Comsec TAT. (Training and Advisory Team).

There was a UK team too, they moved from 14 to warminster I think.

There used to be a whole library of funnies recorded. Including the "there may be trouble ahead" quote, that replaced the windows start up chimes on the computers! And the old "That is fcuking pathetic, do it again".

Stories behind where those quotes came from are available on request :D

These aren't callsigns, but Appointment Titles.

Sunray indicated reference to a commander but the level of command was disguised, so the subject could be anyone from a LCpl to a General. (But you'd have to be particularly stupid not to guess to within one or two ranks).

A callsign was the reference to the radio user, on complex nets prefixed by the Arm Indicator to prevent duplication.

Then you also had nicknames which were supposed to change daily (or twice-daily, depending on the era).

So a typical call could be, "Hello India 54, this is India 54A, Relay to Golf 22, Sunray Callsign Tango 2 will meet your Seagull at BREAD BASKET one hour before your Molar arrives, over."

In my experience, India 54A got lots of requests for relay messages, probably because Puttees and his ACPO were quite good at putting the antennas in the right places. :)

Ironsides - Armour
Sheldrake - Artillery?
Starlight-Signals?
Bluebell - REME.

Sorry mate,it was along time ago,early 60s in my case.

Just drawn this to attention of MANHOLE.
She denies ever using that c/s.
She notes, however, that her AOC used STARLIGHT [independent Command, do WTF you like presumably].
BASEBALL out.

Two specific to the Province:

COFFEEPOT = Female RMP
GREENFINCH = WUDR

Incidentally the old US thing about "Six" used to strike all of us as rather odd. On ex in BAOR we sometimes had "Spam Net" courtesy of a couple of American LO's. Our Sunray (A Bde Comd) gave himself the "Handle" of "Bald Eagle Six" for use theron as he was indeed folically challenged and large in the nose :lol:

Mushroom - The watchkeeper - hence my monica on here.

We used to use 9 (niner) to denote the commander at any level just as today we use 0A.

Seagull used to be the CSM/Adjt.

All of the appointment titles referred to something about the owner.

Sunray - beams of light from our glorious leader
Boxwood - The coffin you'd get after an NBC attack
Seagull - shits on you from a great height.

I spent ages learning these in the CCF signals troop only for them to change about the time I got my little flags, impressed I was not! ( I had been doing it in study periods when I should have been concentrating on my o'levels but thats the priorties of a teenager for you)

Trotsky

chocolate_frog said:
Def EW started officially at 7 Sigs, in ´80s before moving to 14. Later became part of Combined Arms Field Training Group (Germany), eventually under the guise of Comsec TAT. (Training and Advisory Team).

There was a UK team too, they moved from 14 to warminster I think.

There used to be a whole library of funnies recorded. Including the "there may be trouble ahead" quote, that replaced the windows start up chimes on the computers! And the old "That is fcuking pathetic, do it again".

Stories behind where those quotes came from are available on request :D
Hello Chocolate Frog, this is The Cheat. Send Stories over!

T C

Just realised after reading this i got called a FOXHOUND once by a rupert sitting in his chally turret.

didnt have a clue what he was on about at the time!