Fox question

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by crabby, Jun 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Below are two photos of a fox that we saw yesterday in our back garden. Obviously for the "shooting forum" it is blasphemy that I don't intend to shoot it, but there's no wildlife forum here...

Anyway, we were realised something was up because 4 crows were going mad and making a racket. Then this fox popped out of our woods appearing to be mostly ignoring the cries and swoops of the crows.

It seems small? Would this be last year's pup? Is it too young to be out on its own? So would the mother be back there somewhere as well? We have some woods out back - as do all our neighbours on one side, then there's some partially cleared scubby land where they were going to build houses, then didn't. I'm assuming this is perfect for them. I've never seen a fox in that good condition - normally used to seeing mangy urban foxes, but I think this one is cracking.

Take it that's also why the deer seem to have been staying away recently? We had 9 deer going across our lawn at 1900 every evening, but I know they've started fawning and perhaps the smell of fox is keeping them away?

Anyway, it's here for general interest and if you know anything I'd love to know it as well!

Attached Files:

2. IIRC Urban fox's tend to be fatter as they, like us, eat too much crap.

3. It looks like a vixon,

4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It does look a lot healthier than the mangy ones we get in the City. If it's bothering you, I've heard that socks or tights filled with human hair are a good deterrent, just hang them from your fence or up against a few trees. Hair holds the scent of humans very well, which scares the foxes off. My Aunt and mother in law both keep chickens and it seems to work for them.

Also anyone noticed the recent surge in fox attacks? It's all over the news, presumably this is to get people riled up for when the ban is eventually lifted.

Nice garden by the way :D

5. I'm hoping the foxes' head is turned in the second photo to take notice of the dogs you had just released :twisted:

6. I think fox attacks are due to a lack of fear through stupid people feeding them, the women who lives in the next street feeds the birds or so she thinks, by throwing kitchen waste on her lawn and then wonders why her pet rabbits keep vanishing,and her garden shed is over run with rats,

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Given the proviso that you mean Vixen, I'm inclined to agree! :twisted:

2-4 years old? It looks a bit too well developed for a year old, in terms of it's coat and the shape of it's face.

Crabs, have you got anything that we can compare it's size against?

I loath foxes, but with mixed feelings. I respect their place as the dominant predator, and as a photographer think that they look stunning at times; but my country upbringing makes me want to grab a bang stick whenever I see one!

8. Thanks. Unfortunately most of it belongs to the bank...

I've heard the same with socks and human hair a lot of animals, including deer. A neighbour swears by a certain brand of soap in a sock hung from the trees deer like to eat and they won't touch them. The fox isn't causing any hassle right now, if it does I'll do something about it. Racoons here are the ones that go through the bins, it's nice to see a fox that's not been living on "Maccie Dees" and other chav scum rubbish.

Just for you Ravers - couple of pictures of the back garden now it's mostly sorted. Photos aren't the best as taken from top storey.

Attached Files:

9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No shed.

How disappointing :(

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I may at this point recommend a moderated .17HMR.

11. Just went out where it was standing and measured about 18 inches long body and head (not tail), about 15 inches high top of body, 18 top of head? It was definitely no longer than 24 inches long (excluding tail) and 18 inches to top of body. For perspective the fox was at the very back by the path you might be able to see, we were on the deck and I used all 300mm of zoom for that photo.

12. Come back tomorrow - shed is going in then :D I'm so excited, it's huge. There's an area out of shot to the left of the photo where the shed's going in. I'm actually being allowed to turn part of it in to a proper work bench area rather than just storing lawn mowers etc

13. I've seen reports of two urban fox attacks. The first where the fox apparently wandered into the house and attacked the two young children. Still not entirely convinced, but there we go.

The second was where a fox reacted to some kid pulling its tail, by biting the kid. No great surprise there. Hardly an indicator of a rise in viciousness amongst urban foxes.

Thing is they're so different from rural ones, that comparisons between the two are difficult. But I don't see how the government could logically justify allowing hunting to be restored on the basis of the behaviour of urban foxes. Can't imagine any of the hunts pouring through the streets of suburban London in pursuit of their quarry.

Thats not to say I oppose a free vote on repealing the ban. Just that I'm not convinced if the scare stories of urban foxes are aimed at softening up the population in readiness.

14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You might have mentioned that this wasn't in the UK, you git!

It does change things a bit you know!!!!

15. It's still a red fox! Very few differences between UK and Canadian foxes I'm lead to believe (over here you'll hear the fox using "eh" though...). If anything apparently Canadian foxes are slightly larger? My parents had one living in their back garden in Reading, had a cub behind the shed (don't get excited Ravers) and the mother was certainly larger than the one we saw here yesterday.